PDA

View Full Version : Cold Room Temperature and Lipos

GarySS
12-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I've got my lipos out in the garage in a clamped shut steel tool box. Lately our cold snap has us reaching outside lows of 5-10 degrees fahrenheit. Inside the garage it is probably getting down to 20-30 degrees. Will this harm the lipo's? They are new and have not been charged by me. I want to keep them there all winter so it could get colder.
Thanks

Red Scholefield
12-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I've got my lipos out in the garage in a clamped shut steel tool box. Lately our cold snap has us reaching outside lows of 5-10 degrees fahrenheit. Inside the garage it is probably getting down to 20-30 degrees. Will this harm the lipo's? They are new and have not been charged by me. I want to keep them there all winter so it could get colder.
Thanks

You should be OK as long as you don't try to charge them. Store at something between 40 and 60% charged. Let them come to room temperature before charging.

Or you can ship them to me here in Florida where I promise keep them warm and to exercise them regularly for you. No charge. :D

GarySS
12-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks Red,
Let's see, about 150-200 uses per lipo life.......hummmm, how much life left in March 2006????

skyvolt12
12-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Hi Red
That was a beautiful response to Gary SS inquiry. Where I come from that might be called New York humor HaHa.
Skyvolt

Matt Kirsch
12-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I've heard, and seen personally, many positives about storing batteries for long periods of time in cold. Due to lack of space in my current apartment, many of my planes stay locked in my trailer all winter long with their receiver packs. When I went to use the planes this last spring, it was like they were never put away.

Note that this is anecdotal proof, not scientific. I make no guarantees, but from my experience, the cold doesn't have any affect on the batteries, so long as you're not trying to use them.

GarySS
12-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Matt, Would you expand your response a bit?
Do your batteries include Lipo's?
How about Nicads or NIMH's?
Also how cold does it get in your area and for how long on average?

A friend of mine also stores his airplane collection in his truck which is insulated with an electric space heater. Thanks

BillB
12-03-2005, 01:24 AM
From the Harding Battery Handbook (http://www.hardingenergy.com/pdfs/LiPolymer.pdf)

6.8 Lithium Polymer Storage Guidelines

Store the cell in a dry location between 20C and 30C. Keep out of direct sunlight.

When storing for an extended period, store between 10C to 30C
Store at 40% of capacity.
When charging the first time after long-term storage it may take several cycles to achieve original performance.

But, what is an extended period?

Bill