PDA

View Full Version : Why so many big batteries come with JST connectors?

rocket_jim
12-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Just curious why so many big batteries, LiPos included!, I see at my LHS come with JST connectors. Seems they are only suitable for lower currents.

I'm guessing that JST is a simple, cheap, standard connector and that most folks either cut them off (one lead at a time!) and put on their real connectors (like Deans Ultra) - or else they add their standard connector and use the JST just for charging. That's what I'm thinking of using as my standard. JST for charging, Deans Ultra for discharging.

debhicks
12-02-2005, 10:08 AM
They are cheap. And most will change over to their preference. If they put sermos connectors on there someone would complain too. So they put the cheapest on there and let the consumer put whatever they want on there. :)

Works for them and doesn't add any more cost to the battery production.

ForestCam
12-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Send me all your extras. Just got a batch of lipos and I need some JSTs for 'em. :D

Matt Kirsch
12-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Why use two different connectors, unless the battery comes equipped like that (e.g. Great Planes Electrifly)? If you've only got one lead coming out of the battery, you may as well use it to charge too.

Charging can benefit from a quality connector like a Deans Ultra or Sermos just as much as discharging. The low resistance connection makes the transfer of power more efficient, so charging goes (slightly) faster. Better still, the "peak" can be detected more accurately. I can't tell you how many false peaks I've had on my NiMH and NiCd over the years because of crappy connections.

LuckyArmpit
12-04-2005, 04:23 AM
I actually prefer battery packs to come without connectors. I use sermos mostly. Just don't use the tamiya connectors!!!

Dave...

timocharis
12-04-2005, 04:57 AM
I fly little itty bitty toy planes and love JST connectors. What I can't figure out is what the heck goes on the other end of those weird things FMA puts on the Kokam 340s.

Dave