PDA

View Full Version : streaked Fokker camo?

WWI Ace
11-30-2007, 02:58 AM
How do you guys achieve this finish? I drybrushed flat olive over a sky blue base and then made a leaf green acrylic wash and went over all of that. I guess it looks okay. Steve

Biplane Murphy
11-30-2007, 03:37 AM
On the DR1 I have in progress, I was thinking of Airbrushing the Camo on......

WWI Ace
11-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Let us know how it works! I just did mine with a brush 'cause that's kinda the way the real planes were done. I guess you noticed that we're not a sub forum anymore! Steve

scalercflyer
12-01-2007, 02:47 AM
Well Boys, the real DRI was painted with a 4" brush using diagonal strokes. The factory didn't believe in caring about the employees too much. I've read that they got buzzed on the fumes from the paint! :eek: If you look at some of the websites I've posted, you will get a better feel for the technique. BTW Steve, you did a GREAT JOB on the little tripe's camo! :D:) Can't wait to hear about the flight report. Keeping the sky safe over war choked Southern NJ, Von Martin

scalercflyer
12-01-2007, 02:51 AM
I am absolutely thrilled about the WWI era forum! :D I have to believe we have more WWI buffs waiting in the wings to come forward. Welcome one and all! Please post any WWI projects, tips, hints and building techniques. They are all appreciated. Martin

WWI Ace
12-01-2007, 02:58 AM
I knew Martin would know the history of the streaked paint!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
12-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Let us know how it works! I just did mine with a brush 'cause that's kinda the way the real planes were done. I guess you noticed that we're not a sub forum anymore! Steve

I'll let you now how it works for sure....

AviatorDave requested WW1 get it's own forum....He started a thread in "Support and Suggestions"....I chimed in immediately......Mike Parsons then agreed and Voila!!!!

FlyingMonkey
12-01-2007, 03:47 AM
does it hurt your arm to reach around to pat yourself on the back like that?

:-P

Biplane Murphy
12-01-2007, 04:11 AM
does it hurt your arm to reach around to pat yourself on the back like that?

:-P

Nope.....doesn't hurt at all...:Q

CarreraGTSCS
12-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Martin-- Are you Cross or Cocade? We may have to duel in the sky. I have my two Fokkers airworthy, the D VIII and the Dr1. Santa's bringing me a 1/4 scale DynaFlite Se5a kit. The Dr1 is the Polk's version. Not the best flyer but I'm getting it there. Recovering and painting in Lothar's yellow, red, streaky green possibly. The D VIII is my oft mentioned (by me) Ben Buckle kit. Have to paint the wings yet. I'm not sure if I'll go the currently accepted route of green/brown top and violet/blue undersurface or not.

Mike
Keeping the skies unsafe over central NJ!

WWI Ace
12-01-2007, 08:49 PM
You'd better watch Martin!!! I hear he's quite the Ace!!! Of course I'm not scared though. I live too far away!!! Steve

scalercflyer
12-02-2007, 02:49 AM
Mike, I am partial to the German side (my last name is German) although I have been toying with the idea of getting the SE5a for Christmas (be quiet Steve). I would definitely like to get together with you this year and do some flying. Perhaps it might be one of those days when I get terribly sick and can't go to work! :Q If you are up to it, we can coordinate a day. Let me know when. By then I should have my GP tripe done and my "secret winter project" finished too. All I am allowed to say about the project is it's a PR design (Steve and Chris know which one). I am planning on posting the build as I progress. Either way whatever you fly, Allied or German, I'll fill your tail feathers full of lead! :eek: And as for you you crazy Texican, I might just show up at your door one of these days and show you just how good us Yankees really are. :eek::D Chris, nice work on the forum on behalf of us WWI types. :) Is this the best hobby or what?!! :D Martin

scalercflyer
12-02-2007, 02:52 AM
Mike check out this website for info on the DVIII. Martin
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/fokker_dviii_nx94100/

WWI Ace
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Don't come down here Martin unless you wanna get shot down!! We Texicans are afraid of nothing!! Haha!!! Steve

scalercflyer
12-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh Yeah? :p My superior flying skills will win the day! :D I ain't afraid of no triplane flying Texican! ;-) Martin

FlyingMonkey
12-02-2007, 11:26 PM
this is classic, texan ego versus new jersey attitude...

:D

WWI Ace
12-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Remember the Alamo!!!

scalercflyer
12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Remember the ... remember....errrrrrrr? ???? Martin

FlyingMonkey
12-03-2007, 01:56 AM
don't worry Martin, Texas lost at the Alamo...

Biplane Murphy
12-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Remember the Alamo!!!

Is that the Fort that was invaded and conquered by an army from New Jersey?......:Q

WWI Ace
12-03-2007, 03:12 AM
It was the fort John Wayne was in!!

Old Fart
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Be real curious to see some good methodology for creating streaked camo. Would love to paint my Shumate Dr.1 in Kempf's colors

WWI Ace
12-04-2007, 02:23 AM
This is what mine looks like. I also have the plans to build the Schumate triplane. I just haven't gotten around to that project yet!! Steve

Dan Cahill
12-10-2007, 04:25 AM
I am absolutely thrilled about the WWI era forum! :D I have to believe we have more WWI buffs waiting in the wings to come forward. Welcome one and all! Please post any WWI projects, tips, hints and building techniques. They are all appreciated. Martin

My first WWI project is a modified-by-me 16" Breguet 14. This was a Flying
Models rubber plan by Tim Hayward-Brown. This is old tech because I was going to do it in early 2001 when I got badly disabled. This will be 3-channel because the Kontronik 5 amp esc will only handle 2 servos(if my
admittedly shaky German reading is correct.) We're talking Scientext ST-2
brushed motor on 5x50 mAH NiMH cells with what I believe is a U-80 prop. Receiver is a GWS R4P, servos are 5.8 gm. Maxx Products. Lost
in the paper blizzard of litigation was an article on achieving WWI camo with chalk and clear Krylon. The idea was to make a 96th Bombard-
ment , A.E.F. ship that caused E. Udet to hit the silk. (i.e., French camo)
Any help on this chalk technique? With other birds a-building, I'm resisting the Lorelei calls of the Dreideckers for now. ????

WWI Ace
12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Good to have ya Dan!!! Keep us informed on your progress!! Steve

Old Fart
12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
This is what mine looks like. I also have the plans to build the Schumate triplane. I just haven't gotten around to that project yet!! Steve

Well, they start off looking like this :)

WWI Ace
12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
I guess I need to find some foam and try cutting one!!! I was hoping that a laser cut foam kit would become available but I guess not! Steve

Old Fart
12-22-2007, 05:03 AM
The foam is the easy part. It's cutting the *&^!! plywood that gets ya.

degreen60
12-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Be real curious to see some good methodology for creating streaked camo. Would love to paint my Shumate Dr.1 in Kempf's colors

Print it on paper or tissue and glue it on the plane. Here is picture of my Albatros top wing.

WWI Ace
12-23-2007, 07:07 PM
This was as close as I got to Werner's color scheme!! Steve