PDA

View Full Version : This Light Pole Suddenly Jumped Out In Front...

Stan-the-Man
11-30-2007, 03:37 AM
"The Old Gray Mare" is losing his depth perception at dusk! You'd think I'd learn. This made my third hit -- twice with my Aerobird 3's, and now my foam Super Cub. With at least 3/4 throttle, the Cub's wing hit hard into the metal light pole, and I thought it was tubed as it nosed about 40 feet straight down...

I was absolutely amazed that no damage was apparent. She survived to go right back up! I was impressed to say the least. I couldn't help but think about the ongoing debate in the general forum about balsa v. foam. I wonder if I would have been flying as soon with balsa?

Happier landings, All!!! I swear by the HobbyZone Super Cub for a fun time, and I'm not their sales rep! :D

Airhead
11-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Hey Stan,
Glad that you didn't have too much damage from the light pole attack. I have a little problem at dusk too. Have run into a few (hundred) trees..:<:
Talk with you soon..

CHELLIE
11-30-2007, 04:50 AM
I Hate it when that happens :) My problem is that Cell phone Towers like to jump infront of my planes :D Take care Stan, Chellie

Stan-the-Man
11-30-2007, 05:38 AM
I Hate it when that happens :) My problem is that Cell phone Towers like to jump infront of my planes :D Take care Stan, Chellie

Yeh, but I was still in the dark... without light. At least you can call for help! :Q :Q :Q

Stan-the-Man
11-30-2007, 05:50 AM
Hey Stan,
Glad that you didn't have too much damage from the light pole attack. I have a little problem at dusk too. Have run into a few (hundred) trees..:<:
Talk with you soon..

Yep, trees are good.

I always threaten to put a tailing string, about 25 to 30 feet long at the end of my planes, with the hope I can pull my plane down from aloft. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of adapting the phrase Lady Clairol once used years ago, "[Bats] have more fun." The [blondes] are dead cause I strafed 'em. :mad:

No worries about the trees, Air!!! I'll drop you some bananas!!! :Q :Q :Q

(Eeeeew, that was a low flyer, wasn't it? -- Just monkeying around.)

phupper
11-30-2007, 06:03 AM
"I always threaten to put a tailing string, about 25 to 30 feet long at the end of my planes, with the hope I can pull my plane down from aloft"

That's funny, I had the same thought the first time I stood looking up at my plane in a tree (if only there was a string...).

Stan-the-Man
11-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Stan,
Talk with you soon..

Hey, Air!

I appreciated you consoling me... a very thoughtful gesture. I felt guilty offering you bananas for being in the trees... You may not even like bananas! :Q :Q :Q

Anyway, it is I who is guilty of monkey business. :red: Thanks for softening the blow.

Later. :tc:

BuzzardBait
11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I know the feeling of flying at dusk.... cept for me.. its the ground that jumps up and bits my plane... for some reason.. at dust, i can never tell how fast my plane is really going and flare too soon, causing the plane to shoot a foot or so in the air and blow my whole approach.. then... i try to put it down in what littel room i have left and usually end up wincing at the results!!! You know... grimmace, one eye closed, chin pulled back into your chest and the uncontrollable.. "eeoooow" :blah:

FlyingMonkey
11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
That's funny, I had the same thought the first time I stood looking up at my plane in a tree (if only there was a string...).

but of course, the string would get tangled in the tree, and you would never get it down.

you need a trained monkey...

mtuhoop24
11-30-2007, 07:48 PM
I had a huge water tower jump out in front of one of my planes. Head on.......all but the electronics were in very small pieces! UGH!

Stan-the-Man
12-02-2007, 05:54 AM
but of course, the string would get tangled in the tree, and you would never get it down.

you need a trained monkey...

So right, Monk! No argument from me, but I'm out of bananas!!!! :sad:

Don Sims
12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Stan, those SC's are one tough bird. One guy was putting his in a dive from a hundred feet up and seeing how low he could get to the ground before pulling out. Flexed wings and no breaks in the wings, he did break a few props though.

Stan-the-Man
12-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Thought we're not supposed to drink and fly?

There is such a thing as testing The Almighty, and I hope he has a very understanding wife or maybe a model insurance policy.

My bank account won't allow me to do that kind of flying.

Thanks for the post, Don. I have to confess, I've just ordered extra props. ;-)

Speaking of which, I've always used plastic, but are wooden props better than plastic? My guess is they're a lot more expensive. Do they last longer?

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 03:44 AM
My nephew crashed his rtf parkflyer me 109 in a tree .A friend climbed up and got it down but jumped out of the tree, shattered his ankle and required osteo bone surgery to repair his foot.

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Trained monkeys would have been cheaper

Stan-the-Man
12-18-2007, 09:04 AM
My nephew crashed his rtf parkflyer me 109 in a tree .A friend climbed up and got it down but jumped out of the tree, shattered his ankle and required osteo bone surgery to repair his foot.

Your message is clear. Take along a parachute! :red:

Seriously, very sorry to hear about this. It's a good message of priorities for us all.

Now if we can just keep our group out of trees!!! :blah:

Thanks for the post.

gearz
12-18-2007, 02:19 PM
I was in a perfect hover when the ground came crashing 15 feet up and played tag with my Axe CP.

Major Danger
12-25-2007, 03:38 AM
If I'm flying a more price Plane like a balsa build I will personally go out and address the trees and poles as a group and let em know that I'm not playing with them today because the plane I'm flying is just to prissy for their grip. It always works out well for me.

Now if I could only just get the Earth to pay attention.

Speaking of which, I've always used plastic, but are wooden props better than plastic? My guess is they're a lot more expensive. Do they last longer?

NO! Wood props are generally associated with gas motors. They're also heavier than yer typical plastic props.

Airhead
12-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Hey, Air!

I appreciated you consoling me... a very thoughtful gesture. I felt guilty offering you bananas for being in the trees... You may not even like bananas! :Q :Q :Q

Anyway, it is I who is guilty of monkey business. :red: Thanks for softening the blow.

Later. :tc:
Hey Stan,
Bananas are good...:ws: I need them to pay my personal flight instructor...Flying Monkey..Woohoooo:rolleyes:

Airhead
12-25-2007, 04:28 AM
If I'm flying a more price Plane like a balsa build I will personally go out and address the trees and poles as a group and let em know that I'm not playing with them today because the plane I'm flying is just to prissy for their grip. It always works out well for me.

NO! Wood props are generally associated with gas motors. They're also heavier than yer typical plastic props.

Hey major D,
I like how you think.... I'm gonna try that..:roll::ws:

Stan-the-Man
12-25-2007, 07:37 AM

Spoken like a true Wattflyer warrior!!! :p

I'm putting this in my "Pre-flight" thread. :silly:

Thanks and Merry Christmas! :ws:

-- Stan

Major Danger
12-25-2007, 03:48 PM
You have to keep in mind its a Sasquatch thing and generally doesn't work for you Sapiens (homo's) unless you have a reputation for ripping off branches in anger.

You Homo's may wanna try huggin the tree's or perhapes spending some time reading to them. This way you befriend them quicker and they're more apt to honor silly requests like :

" please leave my planes alone"
"I'd appreciate it if when you die, you wouldn't fall on my car or my house"
"Don't let my kid fall"
and I don't care what you do with the cat!

wattflyer6161
12-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I hit light pull my stryker c at about half throttle. It spun around like crazy, and crashed, but I just picked it up and tookoff again! No Damage!

Stan-the-Man
12-25-2007, 10:46 PM
You have to keep in mind its a Sasquatch thing and generally doesn't work for you Sapiens (homo's) unless you have a reputation for ripping off branches in anger.

You Homo's may wanna try huggin the tree's or perhapes spending some time reading to them. This way you befriend them quicker and they're more apt to honor silly requests like :

" please leave my planes alone"
"I'd appreciate it if when you die, you wouldn't fall on my car or my house"
"Don't let my kid fall"
and I don't care what you do with the cat!

Aw c'mon, MD!!! People have to love their kitty cat!!! :blah: And I'm straight... I may not always fly that way, but otherwise...

Stan-the-Man
12-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I hit light pole my stryker c at about half throttle. It spun around like crazy, and crashed, but I just picked it up and tookoff again! No Damage!

Good testimony... I'm looking forward to my Stryker.

Thanks for confirming my choice. I think you meant you hit a light pole, so I changed it for you in my post.

Take care.