PDA

View Full Version : Li-Po "Charge & Discharge" wires????

donjiskra
12-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I would like to know what type of connector is used on the "Charge" wire set? I'd like to make a jumper cable so that I can use it with my Triton charger that is set-up with an Asto Zero Loss connector.

I asked at my LHS what to use but they did not have such a connector that would plug into the Li-Po battery "Charge" connector.
Also need to know the polarity of this connector.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Don

Rugar
12-02-2005, 10:29 PM
The problem is that there is no industry standard like there should be. Most manufactures are putting there own style plugs on charge/balancing side to use with there own balancers if they make one.

Post what kind of batteries you have and maybe someone can tell you what you need. If not, you will probably have to contact the manufacture of your battery to find out. You don't have to charge from the "Charge" wires. You can charge it thru the power side that you plug into your ESC.

Greg Covey
12-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Don,

Gerald is correct. Please identify your Lithium brand.

FMA has a new adapter out to charge Cellpro packs on a BalancePro HD charger.
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=2092&section=45

Shortly, they will release additional adapters for other packs like ThunderPower and Poly Quest.

Matt Kirsch
12-04-2005, 05:06 AM
I'm going to use my powers of deduction, and say the pack in case here is a Great Planes Electrifly LiPoly pack. They're the only ones that call it a "charge" connector. Everyone else either calls it a "balancing connector" or "taps."

The Great Planes Electrifly uses a common connector called a JST on the charge lead. If you can't find the mating connector locally, there are literally hundreds of online sources. In a pinch, you can also strip the outer sleeve off the female end of a servo extension, remove the white/orange pin from the connector, and add banana plugs or Astro Zero Lossers to the red and black (or brown) leads to the other end.

HOWEVER, if you do use my servo extension trick, you need to TRIPLE TRIPLE check the polarity before you plug it in. Otherwise.... ZZZZZOT! you just fried the battery, and maybe the charger :(

donjiskra
12-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Greg & Gerald,
The battery I was looking at at the LHS was an Electrifly 1500mah Lipo.
Since my Triton charger is setup with an Astro Zero Loss connector.
I would need to replace those supplied connectors over to the Astro Zero Loss connectors. This would apply to any other brand as well.

The charge connector made me wonder if the Electrifly battery is designed for a balancing unit charger or would it be safe to use the Triton without a balancing adapter???

Kokam's new Cellpro packs require their charger, which has great protection features but necessitate buying a new charging system. If I was just starting out with lipo batteries I would use this system but my budget can't afford replacing the Triton, which I really love.

Ron S
12-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Why would you (charge) in one set of leads,and (discharge) in another set of leads? Ron:confused:

Vamooska
12-26-2005, 12:23 AM
I dont get that either. If the charge lead is a "tap" that can charge each cell then that would make sense. Two wires for a three cell pack?:confused:
Vammy

Bob_CO
12-26-2005, 12:59 AM
I don't get the 2 wire charge lead either. But seeing it makes me say just charge through the discharge lead and use the Deans connector shown in the pic to connect to your Triton.

I guess it is possible that they put in a balancing circuit in the battery. Not very probable though.

The Triton is a GREAT charger for lipos. No need to get rid of it at all. The output leads are just plugged in with banana plugs so you can make a set up for Deans. I would get the thermometer however just to be safer.

Matt Kirsch
12-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Great Planes Electrifly LiPoly battery packs have built-in protection circuitry that disconnects the charger should the pack go over-voltage. That is what the second set of leads is for, and why the leads are different sizes and different types.

If you do decide to purchase this pack, you would make an adapter, or in the case of the Trition, a separate set of charge leads, to connect the charger to the charge lead on the pack. It's a common "JST" connector. In the case that you don't use Dean's Ultra on your ESCs, you would simply change that to your own preferred connector, or build an adapter.

Ron S
12-26-2005, 04:18 AM
Matt,I've got one of these packs. Would it hurt to charge it in the (regular way?) ie;deans on the discharge leads? Ron:confused:

donjiskra
12-26-2005, 04:48 AM
I checked the Electrifly instruction sheet and your information is correct:
"Great Planes Electrifly LiPoly battery packs have built-in protection circuitry that disconnects the charger should the pack go over-voltage. That is what the second set of leads is for, and why the leads are different sizes and different types."

I have made two sets of cables with the appropriate Electrily connectors then used the Astro Zero Loss connectors to mate with my Triton Charger and motors. The "discharge" cable on the lipo is strictly for connecting to the motor.
The Electrifly instruction sheet states that replacing their connectors will void the warranty, so that's why I used the custom made cables.
Hope this clears up any questions.
Don