PDA

View Full Version : I finally managed to crash my Super Cub ...

ElCapitanAmerica
12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
... and I broke the tail from the fuselage!

I got too cocky and was flying very low while it was getting dark and windy, lost control of the plane and it cartwheeled to the ground! I have some minor dings here and there, but the main damage is that the fuselage broke in 2, in the tail wing area (amazingly the tail wing is intact).

So basically i have to glue it back together, I'm thinking of using 4 toothpicks and then gluing the foam, but I was wondering what recommendations you all had on what glue I should be using and where to buy it.

thx!

Gnascher
12-04-2007, 07:00 PM
That is a very common place for the SuperCub to break. 5-min epoxy and bamboo skewers will get you back in the air in no time.

Some folks also will use hot-melt glue or gorilla glue. Any of these will work fine.

flydiver
12-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Yep, broke mine 2x under similar circumstances. The second time I added a 3mm carbon rod on each side in a groove. Bamboo skewers will work. Toothpicks might add a bit but there are better products, use them.

fly

Fly Time
12-06-2007, 01:48 AM
I broke mine there a couple months ago after I bounced off the top of a baseball backstop. I used hot glue to repair and didn't reinforce it at all. I've had no problems since, but toothpicks or something probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

And the reason the tail or stabilizer didn't break is because the fuselage did. I don't happen to think that is bad design, because the fuselage is easy to glue back together. The stab and tail would probably have to be replaced if you broke them.

firemanbill
12-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Just about any glue/epoxy will fix ya right up.

Just stay away from CA for this repair. It doesn't have the structural hold that an epoxy or glue will have.

ElCapitanAmerica
12-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the advise!

I haven't had a chance to do the repair, in a way it's good because I have a lot of work and an upcoming trip, and if I could fly the plane I'd be spending a lot of time doing that :-) (got a little bit addicted there)

So epoxy it is. Still not sure what's the difference in using toothpicks vs bamboo skewers.

I also noticed I lost a bit of foam in the fuselage area where the wing goes over (the opening just above where the receiver and batter box are), it's the area that stands out a bit and you rest your wing against. It's nothing big but I might need to get some extra foam (like the one the plane came in with the box) and apply it here to even things out a bit.

The last bit of "damage" that I was a bit worried, is a creased tail wing that seems ok, but is just creased and I wonder if I should just reinforce it, replace it or leave it alone if it's not really giving me problems.

Fly Time
12-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Epoxy will work great. If your foam is mashed a little, be careful to align the tail properly. You can use the wing mounting rubber bands to hold the tail section tight while the glue sets. Just run them from the rear pegs around the end of the tail.

The only difference between bamboo skewers and toothpicks is strength. The bamboo will be stronger bcause they are longer. But they are also harder to get in straight. Personally I would use toothpicks for this repair. Easier and strong enough.

If there are some gaps to fill, low temp hot glue works very well. You can use it after the epoxy sets. Take some packing tape, cover the area to be filled, then cut a slit in the tape with a hobby knife and squirt in some hot glue to fill the cavity. Wait a few minutes for the glue to cool and pull off the tape.

Stan-the-Man
12-06-2007, 06:27 AM
... and I broke the tail from the fuselage!

I got too cocky and was flying very low while it was getting dark and windy, lost control of the plane and it cartwheeled to the ground!

thx!

Please read my new thread post for beginners and you won't feel alone. Yes, I too, was flying at the same time you were...

Sorry about your plane, but trust me, "I feel your pain".

Take care... We are wiser men. ;-)