PDA

View Full Version : Power for a 81" foam A-10 Warthog ?

cyclops2
12-04-2005, 03:03 AM
I finished cutting everything and all the Blue Styrofoam parts weigh 5.0 lbs.---------What fans, engines, controllers and battery packs am I looking at for sport flying in a maximum wind of 15 mph. No straight up stuff. Steady 45 degree climb would be nice. Wing area is 6 sq. ft., tail area is 1.25 sq. ft.

savydad
12-04-2005, 04:32 AM
Wow, I'd like to see some pics...for 5lb, I would think a big outrunner would do good, something bigger than sp700 equivalent. You have a planned AUW or set any other specifics, servos/batt/esc?

Todd

cyclops2
12-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Light, 3/4 oz. cloth only in the stress and landing areas. First flights should be my usual trim and balance hand toss in 2' high grass. I did the 72" China Clipper on 4-400's . OK. And a 8' WWII Higgins PTB. So, I figured, how bad could a A-10 be? I have not yet hollowed out the Fuse. I build on the light side. The power and costs seem very high compared to the China. Why? I am not used to something on this model.

savydad
12-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Ok, well, I thought a bit and maybe a twin-sp600? Not sure how that would work out, but that puts cost way down if you are looking at that...other than the battery pack(s) Those are gonna cost for something that will put out the power needed for twin sp600's or even twin outrunners. Something in 4000mah or more for battery, and in the neighborhood of 40-50a @3 or 4 maybe more cells(lipo...nimh would be 10-20cells). This would put you in the neighborhood of the 75-100w per lb to get it moving, like you said not needing vertical climb. I have no experience in anything over a single sp600, so others might be able to give you specifics on what you might be looking at.

Another thing you might need is your specific size of the nacelles (sp?) i.e. how big of a prop could you put in them, or do you want to go strictly fans on them...if right you could probably use a prop for better efficiency and cheaper cost. Maybe that's what you meant by cost, not sure.

Todd

Rhondas
12-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Light, 3/4 oz. cloth only in the stress and landing areas. First flights should be my usual trim and balance hand toss in 2' high grass. I did the 72" China Clipper on 4-400's . OK. And a 8' WWII Higgins PTB. So, I figured, how bad could a A-10 be? I have not yet hollowed out the Fuse. I build on the light side. The power and costs seem very high compared to the China. Why?

go to cheap batteries.com ===============================================I am not used to something on this model.

say cyclops I liked the china clipper ,can you post a picture and let me know what batteries are flying it ,Tanks:eek:

cyclops2
12-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I have a Digi-key 2000 mah Nimh 8 cells and a Wattage 550 controller.-------Edit. Eat supper. I still have the blown up plans . It is the Martin version with the big single sort of a T tail. I made the tail 50% larger for stability. Oh, I cheated like crazy on the wing sections and horizontal tail by using the big foam glider, The Condor, those parts are touched up a little. ------------------------A gentile hand toss is 40' glide to land or water.

cyclops2
12-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I love electric!! I think I found a EDF that can easily fly her. Find out Monday. (2) - 2.5# thrust fans and motors, 3" dia. I hope, I hope. :) :)

Rhondas
12-05-2005, 01:44 AM
sounds great post some pictures

cyclops2
12-05-2005, 07:23 PM
I have taken the plunge into electric. The A-10 is flying with (2) Kress Jets AXI 2814/12---RK-720E-AXI units. Fan and motor combo. Probably a little over kill, at 2.6 lbs. of thrust each, but better that side of the road. --------Still need, 6 cells @ 2100 mah -at 31Amps max. disc. and a controller for each. Weight of the fan, motor and battery is 18 oz. John Kress had used Kokams in his tests. Are they reliable in the air?------- I should only have to fly a 8 lb. plane at most on 6 sq. ft. of thick lifting airfoil. The Fans will just be slid in from the rear and be stopped by a ring on the inside of the engine nacelles. How much , if any, of a motor lead interference problem am I facing? Is it better to have the controller close to the motor, or close to the batteries in the very tip of the nose with the batteries.------------------------------- In the WWII PTB The 42# trolling motor and leads caused nothing at bursts of 80 amps and 12 vdc. from a Novak Super Rooster Reversing speed controller. I am sweating long power leads and possible interference. Anything else I should be on guard for? Thanks again. I feel good about a clean, no mess of oil, plane.:)

Flite-Metal
12-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Nothing is over kill if it works moving your A-10. Let's see some pix ! ! ! !
http://www.rchobbies.org/images/gwsa10-lead.jpg

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Into the final sanding everything and ultra lite spackle. Using 4 Hitec 55's for rudders & each elevator 1/2. Due to the size of the horizontal stab. I can put them all in it and control everything. Bigger is easier.
I never learned how to send or post pictures.
I thought electric be a problem. No way, the German guys fly this size with brushes and less wing area. The Schuebler ducted fan co. Has a customers model section. Very interesting. Web is---www.schuebeler-jets.de/

What do I have to do to highlight www. ? Thanks.

Flite-Metal
12-14-2005, 02:56 AM
Down below where you enter your text for posts there are options. One that may have to be clicked it "go advanced" then look for:

Attach FilesValid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

Manage Attachments (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/newattachment.php?t=2767&poststarttime=1134528782&posthash=d511759c30736dbd8ea2b7a177881fc8)

Clicking it will permit you to upload files from your computer. Images you
shoot with a digital camera. When it opens it opens to let you select a file name to upload. Its simple...try it.

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Thanks Flite-Metal. I will play with it.

zappedalaskan
12-14-2005, 04:06 AM
Can you guys tell me where I can get scale plans for the A-10? or even a good kit? I was going to go with the Ultravitch designed plans. Any opinions? I am a helicopter guy. I love gunships, and I have always wanted to model an A-10 The air Gaurd squardron here is one of the last to fly them (I believe) I thank you kindly in advance.
Jay

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 04:23 AM
How big in wingspan, cheap foam but very flyable. Or a biggy, scratch build or a kit? And, how much as the upper $$. Gas, nitro, electric-props, fans, turbines?--I have stumbled over several of each type. And I am just getting back into models. I saw a kit of a 110" kit. Mrs. Claus laughed till tears came down.

zappedalaskan
12-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Cyclops-
Thank you for your rapid reply. I should have been much more specific. I have the motors for this project. I have a pair of Hacker A30-10L Motors and a pair of 45amp. esc's. The Motor specifies Warbirds up to 60oz. each. My AUW could be as high as 120oz. I would like to buy a kit I could bash or that uses this sized motor. If not a set of 60-70 inch scale plans would work as well. If this Motor is compatable with a fan unit that would be great, if not I can make it a pusher. I would prefer fans, but I am working around the Motors I already have. I know this is a backward approach, but I just bought these motors for another big twin project that is just not working out for me. I need a plan.. I can build from scratch, but not without a scale plan. Any help is much appretiated.
Regards,
Jay

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 04:58 AM
Do you want a set for 6' to 7' ? Or larger? A good blueprint shop can blow them up to whatever size you want with NO distortion. That's what I do.

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Here are 2 good multiengine sites to get you started with the engines you have. www.schuebeler-jets.de (http://www.schuebeler-jets.de)
Schuebeler ,go to the customers models. Good information.
www.flyelectric.uk (http://www.flyelectric.uk) go to site, then impressive, then multiengine. Post back with your thoughts.

zappedalaskan
12-14-2005, 05:09 AM
I think 6' is the area I an looking for. Like you said I can have them blown up. I was just wondering where I could find any plans or even better a kit.
Are there any A-10 kits on the market? I can't find one (besides a GWS) and that is no where near what I am looking for. Thanks again Cyclops.
Jay

zappedalaskan
12-14-2005, 05:11 AM
HI Cyclops,
I can't get that link to work for me. I am very interested to see the site. Thank's
Jay

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Old brain. my plans are full size for a scratch builder. nothing is missing. I could give you the plans name if wanted.

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 05:20 AM
Click the sites on my # 18 above.

zappedalaskan
12-14-2005, 05:21 AM
That would be great. I found the web site you listed above. I found the fan units DS-30-DIA 3-ph Carbon fiber impellers and housings.. Very nice.
I thank you kindly for all your help Cyclops.
Jay

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Here is the place I bought mine from. M.C. Beaulieu's Plan service
84 university Street
Presque Isle, Me.
a few years ago

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 05:39 AM
I just recieved word from GW models that he has seen a monster by, Lazik, A-10. I asked for more information.. It is 12: 40 in New Jersey. See you tomorrow.

Flite-Metal
12-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Can you guys tell me where I can get scale plans for the A-10? or even a good kit? I was going to go with the Ultravitch designed plans. Any opinions? I am a helicopter guy. I love gunships, and I have always wanted to model an A-10 The air Gaurd squardron here is one of the last to fly them (I believe) I thank you kindly in advance.
Jay

Sounds like you are confusing the NA300 OV-10 with the Republic A-10. I
don't believe Rich has an A-10 available...though he is constantly adding
to his laser cut kit offerings. BuyAero.com sells Uravitch's designs.

Believe you will find plans in the M.A.N. catalog index

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Ed. What company does the "Rich" you speak of represent?

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Zappe. My plans are available from--www.scalercmodels.com--It worked on a direct search with his name followed by--plans service.-------phone # 207-768-3471.

cyclops2
12-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Zappe. The AMA has a plans service . Go to page 64 for a 54" and a 55" A-10. You are right, They are scarce. Most plans and kits are WWII and Korea.

Flite-Metal
12-15-2005, 12:55 AM
I wrote Rich and he's going to do an A-10. Ironically, Rich was the last man
standing at Republic when it closed up for the last time in '85. He was
responsible for their last chance to stay in business.

The AF was looking for a pressurized trainer to replace the Cessna.
Ultimately, the DoD paid Cessna to pressurize the existing fleet of trainers so
the "H" tail trainer proposed by Republic got canned along with all employees.

I believe Boeing is whom maintains the A-10 today... Rich's working on a
1/4 scale product release to be announced shortly. After that I'd guess you'll
see a Hog roll out.

cyclops2
12-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Could someone restore the last 2 posts here?

zappedalaskan
12-15-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi Cyclops,
I will see what I can find at scalercmodels.com. I can't merge the threads as I am not authorized in this thread. What scale was the plan you built from? I will go take a look. Thank you again for the valuble info.
Regards,
Jay

zappedalaskan
12-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Ed,
I got my wires crossed and the ultravich model I spoke of was the N-300 OV-10 bronco I had it in an old model airplane news. I hate when the noggin gets fuzzy. Part of the charm of getting old. I was thinking of the .25 scale OV-10 Bronco. Thank you kindly for the information on a new kit from Mr. ultravich. I have admired his models for years. If I can't find what I am looking for I will just wait for his to release.
Regards,
Jay

cyclops2
12-15-2005, 04:05 AM
I sent you a E Mail.