PDA

View Full Version : Powerlinehobbies Sopwith Camel

barmonkey
12-11-2007, 03:21 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has the Powerline Hobbies Sopwith Camel. http://powerlinehobbies.com/

I purchased it from here: http://hobbyhorse.com/powerline_kits.shtml

At $169.99 for a nearly complete plane...all you need are 2 servo extensions, radio (Tx Rx), and battery...I think it is a steal!

Here are the specs:
Wingspan: 37.8 in
Wing Area: 294.5 sq.in
Length: 25.6 in
Ready to fly weight: 1.62 lbs

The kit includes:
400 class brushless motor (the earlier version had a 370 class brushless)
25(amp) ESC
4 Servos

barmonkey
12-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Here are some pics:

Biplane Murphy
12-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Hooray!!!!

Many of us have been wondering about Powerline's planes.... please give us lots of details about the quality and what you like/dislike....

You are the first one I have seen to have one.....

barmonkey
12-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Murph, I gotta say that I have been really excited to get my hands on one of these! There have been lots of posts over at RCG over the last few months...and lots of good reports on it.

My first impressions have been good...just examining the kit contents. The overall build seems good...however there are a couple of bubbles in the covering on the wing. Nothing major...they should iron out just fine. Overall, it appears to be better than my Great Planes Fokker DVII...which I have been very pleased with BTW.

Biplane Murphy
12-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Murph, I gotta say that I have been really excited to get my hands on one of these! There have been lots of posts over at RCG over the last few months...and lots of good reports on it.

My first impressions have been good...just examining the kit contents. The overall build seems good...however there are a couple of bubbles in the covering on the wing. Nothing major...they should iron out just fine.

That's good to hear!!!:)

After you fly it (or now) you should defintely let all the guys in the "WW1 planes" thread know about it...:)

Biplane Murphy
12-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Overall, it appears to be better than my Great Planes Fokker DVII...which I have been very pleased with BTW.

That is also great to hear.... I have flown the GP DVII and the SE5A for over a year now (both with E-flite 480 outrunners stuffed in them :) ).... I love both of those planes....I have the GP DR1 in progress of recovering and painting, then assembly....

I have been wanting that powerline Camel for a while now, so I can't wait to hear a flight report....

barmonkey
12-11-2007, 05:38 AM
WOW!!! E-Flite 480's...I'd be afraid to rip the wings off my Fokker with that much motor! I have a 480 in my P-47 and it really hauls...it's grounded for now due to a broken horizontal stab lost in a high G turn.

barmonkey
12-11-2007, 05:43 AM
I don't know how quick I will get this completed. I have a couple of parties and of course work this week. I would certainly like to maiden before Christmas.

My biggest delay will be due to my desire to paint the under surfaces a tan color to imitate the original's clear doped linen. So I will need to pick the right color and paint to make it work.

Biplane Murphy
12-11-2007, 05:56 AM
WOW!!! E-Flite 480's...I'd be afraid to rip the wings off my Fokker with that much motor! I have a 480 in my P-47 and it really hauls...it's grounded for now due to a broken horizontal stab lost in a high G turn.

It hauls butt with a 480...:)

I also have all the control surfaces set to travel as far as they can possibly go.....:<:

All that power and throws helps it to do some crazy Lomcevak like stuff....Knife edges.....insane snaps....etc.....

Drives the Older guys at the club crazy....:D

I had LVC kick in on a low u-turn landing approach with the SE5A..... Hit the ground in a knife edge orientation...Bottom wing broke in half....Will be repaired soon though....

barmonkey
12-20-2007, 03:08 AM
Hello all, unfortunately I have made zero progress thus far. I am currently working on an E-Flite P-47 repaint, and then there were those Christmas parties!

I am still trying to figure out the best way to go about painting the under sides to mimic the clear doped linen. I guess all I really need is the stones to just do it!

Actually, I just found my sealing iron. There were just a couple of small bubbles in the covering that needed attention before I even attempted to do any painting.

Hopefully, in the next couple of days I will get some thrust stand data on the stock motor. I also will report on the servos.

If anyone would like more info or better pictures...just ask...

barmonkey
01-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Ok, I am finally back to the Camel...My long awaited bench tests on the electrics are in. First off, I tested the included servos. They seemed to have a descent resolution, and there was no signs of chatter. The servos BTW are similar in size to Hitec HS-55's. At first, I thought they were unbranded Hitecs. Closer inspection revealed that they were not.

I did have a chance to run up some bench tests with the motor/ESC.

First Run: DN Power 2150 mAh 3S 15C (this battery is on it's last legs BTW)

Thrust: 650 grams 22.9 oz
Watts: 156.1
Amps: 14.79
Volts: 10.21

Second Run: Brand New Wow R/C 1650 mAh 3S 20C

Thrust: 670 grams 23.6 oz
Watts: 197
Amps: 17.14
Volts: 11.13

I'll have to run this again...for the cost of 30 Watts, over 2 Amps and nearly two volts it only yielded 30 grams of thrust.

WWI Ace
01-16-2008, 06:07 PM
We need good video Barmonkey!!! Steve

barmonkey
01-18-2008, 02:12 AM
It'll be a while for the video...weather not looking good for a while. Oh yeah...I haven't even started my build. I am still stuck on how to paint the undersides to emulate CDL...or to just recover it.

I have concluded that I will modify the bulkhead to allow for a larger battery. As it sits a 1300mAh to 1500mAh battery is all that will fit...I would like to fit a 2100mAh battery in there for both flight duration an the weight that I will undoubtedly need in the nose.

degreen60
01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
I need a new cowl for my Camel(no man's land has a fence). What is the dia of the cowl on the powerline and do you know if there are spare parts available?
Also if you would, measure the guns, I am wanting to make a set using printed paper on foam.

barmonkey
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Sorry This took so long, I must have missed your post.

Diameter of cowl 4 5/8"
Outside diameter of guns is 11mm. I don't think the length will help as they are to be hidden under the Camel hump...80mm long cooling jacket and the protruding barrel is 10mm long with 5mm o.d.

I don't know where spare parts can be found at this point.

degreen60
01-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Sorry This took so long, I must have missed your post.

Diameter of cowl 4 5/8"
Outside diameter of guns is 11mm. I don't think the length will help as they are to be hidden under the Camel hump...80mm long cooling jacket and the protruding barrel is 10mm long with 5mm o.d.

I don't know where spare parts can be found at this point.

Thanks, I think the cowl will fit my camel. I am going to search the net to see if I can find parts. I had already made guns for mine and the dia of the cooling jacket is the same size so I must be real close to the correct size.

FlyingMonkey
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
how is it coming?

I am really tempted to pick this one up one of these days.

barmonkey
03-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I haven't made much progress lately. I have painted the under surfaces a Linen color...specifically Tamiya TS-7 Racing White. It is actually a light cream color, which should help with orientation. Some of the guys at RCG have painted theirs with Wood Deck Tan, which is a bit darker. Although that color may be more "scale", I figured the lighter hue would be good for visibility.

I still need to paint the Matt Varnish on. However I am debating as to whether or not just use a Matt spray instead.

FlyingMonkey
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
What was your final feeling on the stock motor.

Was it sufficient, or will it need an upgrade?

barmonkey
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I think that the stock motor will yield some pretty good performance. Certainly not ballistic by any means, but enough to have "sporty" performance...enough power for loops and rolls...also enough reserve to pull out of trouble.

FlyingMonkey
03-03-2008, 10:46 PM
good, so a little more than scale...

barmonkey
03-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Most certainly, It should do things the real pilots only dreamed of! I think scale speed would probably be around 12 mph...I think with the right prop and a good battery possibly 30mph? That's speculative of course. The motor appears to be a bit stronger than the Rimfire motor in my GP Fokker DVII, and it is certainly capable of around 25+.

FlyingMonkey
03-03-2008, 11:47 PM
hmmm...

barmonkey
03-03-2008, 11:49 PM
hmmm?

FlyingMonkey
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
really tempted to throw some money at the hobbyhorse website...

barmonkey
03-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I wish I could be your Huckleberry on this...but I obviously haven't flown or put it together yet. It looks like a fairly easy job though. It may take some skill and time to get the Pull/Pull set up correctly. There is a good review and thread at RCG you may want to check out. Nothing but good reports that I have seen.

FlyingMonkey
03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I can wait...

just do it before seff :D