PDA

View Full Version : AMA Forum

Murocflyer
12-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Just wondering why there is not a specific area where folks can post questions/concerns about the AMA?

Are there plans on getting one?

Thanks,

Frank

gfdengine204
12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Frank,

This is an excellent suggestion, I hope it is acted upon soon.

Nathan
12-14-2007, 09:52 PM
There are no plans to add this forum at this point. I wonder how many WF members fly at AMA sponsored fields?

gfdengine204
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, were we to take a poll, I fly exclusively at an AMA field right now.

If I can find a nice place to fly in town, I would fly there as well, but for now, only at my AMA Club's field.

firemanbill
12-14-2007, 10:02 PM
sounds like a good idea for a poll. I pretty much fly at a MA field all the time.

Grasshopper
12-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I've flown at an AMA field 3 times this year. I pretty much have my membership to fly at SEFF now.

firemanbill
12-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I've flown at an AMA field 3 times this year. I pretty much have my membership to fly at SEFF now.

And that makes it worth every penny!:D

Grasshopper
12-14-2007, 10:25 PM
And that makes it worth every penny!:D

Exactly why I keep it active Bill.

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 12:10 AM
There are no plans to add this forum at this point. I wonder how many WF members fly at AMA sponsored fields?

Well I certainly hope that the WF leaders reconsider, especially in light of the new Park Pilot Program that will be catering especially to electric only pilots for only $29.95 a year by the AMA. What better way to promote the hobby, the new PPP, and the AMA on an electric flight only forum!

Thanks,

Frank

Mike Parsons
12-15-2007, 12:27 AM
My feelings are if there is someone to answer those questions then it may be beneficial in the future.

Otherwise we will just have a bunch of open ended questions :)

I will say that AMA tends to be a hot topic. Anyone who mods that forum could have their hands full.

<puts hands in pockets> :)

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 12:32 AM
I don't Mike, I think we have a very good group of folks here on WF and do a pretty good job of policing ourselves. I'm thinking since WF is an electric only forum and the AMA is coming out with an electric only Park Pilot Program, it would be a perfect match for each other. As a matter of fact, it would be beneficial for both organizations to work with each other to help promote our hobby.

Plus there are a lot of new electric fliers who do not know about the AMA and what it does to support our hobby. A forum would help solve this problem.

Frank

stevecooper
12-15-2007, 12:40 AM
My feelings are if there is someone to answer those questions then it may be beneficial in the future.

Otherwise we will just have a bunch of open ended questions :)

I will say that AMA tends to be a hot topic. Anyone who mods that forum could have their hands full.

<puts hands in pockets> :)Mike's right on = Go to RCU's ama tread( it;s NOT a nice place)ya'll's bub, stevecooper

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 02:09 AM
I have heard that RCU is not a nice place period. Maybe it's time WF sets the bar for an AMA forum also.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23015

Frank

aviatordave
12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
you do realize that wattflyer is the child of RCU.

aviatordave
12-15-2007, 02:39 AM

I do, I think alot of us do.

[how many administrators do we have?]

stevecooper
12-15-2007, 02:42 AM
you do realize that wattflyer is the child of RCU.a run-away child, bub, stevecooper

stevecooper
12-15-2007, 02:47 AM
I do, I think alot of us do.

[how many administrators do we have?]I don't, I think alot of us don't, ( still your bub, right?) your bub, stevecooper

Mike Parsons
12-15-2007, 02:48 AM
By marriage only ;)

Mike Parsons
12-15-2007, 02:52 AM
[how many administrators do we have?]

3 total. Marc- owner and Nathan and I. Of course you mostly hear from me as Nathan has his plate full at RCU and about a half dozen other responsibilities.

gfdengine204
12-15-2007, 03:00 AM
An interesting point, tho, isn't how many of us fly at an AMA field.....but instead, how many of us are AMA members. I think THAT may be the standard with which to judge a need for an AMA thread.

Just my 2 cents.

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:02 AM

Dave,

I read that somewhere, but don't know the whole history behind it. I think WF will become more popular than RCU though. Just give it time.

Frank

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:07 AM
An interesting point, tho, isn't how many of us fly at an AMA field.....but instead, how many of us are AMA members. I think THAT may be the standard with which to judge a need for an AMA thread.

Just my 2 cents.

And, how many we can provide information to so we can promote our hobby and the AMA. As it is, AMA threads are spread out and sporadic throughout WF. Hard for folks to glean any information about the AMA like that.

Frank

aviatordave
12-15-2007, 03:09 AM
I don't, I think alot of us don't, ( still your bub, right?) your bub, stevecooper

So you were my bub before? Does Wilbur know about this?

Back on topic - Do we think the AMA forum would get to political? To contraversial? I have seen a few threads here @ WF (son of RCU born in wedlock) that discuss AMA decisions which really have not gone astray to badly. We have vendor forums where a spokesperson will answer most questions asked. Hypothetically speaking, if there was a AMA spokesperson available, it could be a workable idea...right?

stevecooper
12-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Dave,

I read that somewhere, but don't know the whole history behind it. I think WF will become more popular than RCU though. Just give it time.

FrankYep! Black-sheep done good! your bub, stevecooper

gfdengine204
12-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Frank,

Perhaps you and I should volunteer to moderate an AMA thread?

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:16 AM
I think if any online forum can pull off an AMA thread without all the attacking posters and bashing the AMA, it's WF.

Frank

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Frank,

Perhaps you and I should volunteer to moderate an AMA thread?

Gee Kev, I was thinking about volunteering you. ;)

It will take a guy able to work under pressure, quick on his feet, and not afraid to get his hands dirty. Sounds like that a job for Super Kev!

Frank

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Actually, If needed I could help with it. I'm not here enough for a full time position, but would be glad to share responsibility in that forum with someone else if need be.

Frank

gfdengine204
12-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Kinda why I thought the two of us. Share the burden, so to speak

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:29 AM
Kinda why I thought the two of us. Share the burden, so to speak

Sounds good to me. I'm up for it.

Thanks for volunteering.

Frank

gfdengine204
12-15-2007, 03:30 AM
Well, it's up to Mike and the gang. But thank you also for volunteering. :)

Kosh
12-15-2007, 03:32 AM
You will find MANY members like me that just fly at local parks and have no real use for the AMA membership. Even for the price of there $30 membership I see that as new plane or pair of batteries and its a hard sell for someone with a 10 ounce foamie alone in a park.
Start a thread and a poll in the general forum about there new plan and see where it goes?

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:36 AM
You will find MANY members like me that just fly at local parks and have no real use for the AMA membership. Even for the price of there $30 membership I see that as new plane or pair of batteries and its a hard sell for someone with a 10 ounce foamie alone in a park.
Start a thread and a poll in the general forum about there new plan and see where it goes?

I'd like to wait until AMA officially goes online with the new Park Pilot Program before starting a poll about it. All we know right now is this.

And this:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/parkflyer/Park_Pilot.aspx

Frank

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:37 AM
I called the AMA to find out about the Park Pilot Program (http://www.modelaircraft.org/parkflyer/Park_Pilot.aspx). Jeff told me this in order:

1. $500K in insurance

2. Limited to 60 MPH

3. Limited to 2 pounds

4. Has to be RC or control line controlled

5. Electric powered only

6. Quarterly magazine -no MA but can be had for an additional $36

7. Officially to begin 11 Jan at the Ontario CA show ( I guess there is some big show in So Cal)

8. The membership cards will look different than the "Open" cards

9. If you sign up for full membership you have 90 days to drop down to the PPP. If you want to upgrade you can. Jeff was unsure how often you could switch back and forth.

Some of that stuff we knew already. I was surprised about #4 & 5. He did have to get the info from his supervisor since he said I was the first person to call about it.

That's what I know about that.

Frank

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 03:40 AM
There is so much the AMA does for our hobby, we need to have a forum here on WF to get the word out to those folks who might not know or be familiar with it. It's really no different than telling people about batteries or ESCs. It's all part of the hobby.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/amaconvention.aspx

Frank

stevecooper
12-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Watt-bub's::AMA's okay but invokes allot of folks for some reason on another an it's WELL represented, on the "parent" forum, If ya'll want one and get it right that would be great, and I would support it, your bub, stevecooper

Nathan
12-15-2007, 03:52 AM
The problem with an AMA forum is how it is political in nature. Politics have a funny way of turning friendly people into bitter enemies and that doesn't work well for a community based website. That combined with us probably not thinking it would sustain a large amount of traffic given the nature of WF.

However, with the new AMA initiative, it may be a good time to give it a try. Go ahead and start a poll and see if it would be an active forum. If the poll is in favor and it looks like it would be a fairly active forum we can give it a whirl.

aviatordave
12-15-2007, 03:53 AM
there ya go frank

gfdengine204
12-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Yeah Frank, there ya go. :)

QUICKWEDGE
12-15-2007, 04:27 AM
OK,WattFlyer's.heres my .02cents worth.I tend to agree with Mr Cooper.and Nathan.After many years as a member of AMA,I left because of the problems and direction the they seemed headed.After 20 some years I just rejoined. the field in my town is a AMA field and you must be a member to Fly there, and I have a friend whom flies there.I think a poll would be a start and see where it goes.As Steve Cooper,says. if it FLIES I will support it .

QuickWedge

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 05:03 AM
OK, will do. Thanks. Give me a bit to gen up the words with what we know to date.

I'll do it in the AM in you don't mind. It's late here in VA.

Thanks for the interest.

Frank

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Done.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27947

Frank

gfdengine204
12-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Frank,

Good job. You worded it very well.

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks Kev. I tried to keep it as impartial as I could although I think my emotions bled though some.

Frank

gfdengine204
12-15-2007, 02:53 PM
eh, I think it came across fairly neutral. But then I might be biased.....LOL

QUICKWEDGE
12-15-2007, 07:09 PM
GOOD JOB !! Lets see what it brings.

Quick

Murocflyer
12-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks Quick. I just hope folks see the bigger picture and not think it's good or bad just for themselves but look at how it will help others that follow us.

Frank