PDA

View Full Version : Never maiden before a photo shhot!

hondo33
12-15-2007, 04:24 PM
There are several lessons from this one. First, take the time to photograph your models during the build. Lets face it, we put a lot of time in care into building these wonderful flying machines. When the build in over take some more pictures to show case your work. These is a great sense of pride and accomplishment in finishing a sweet build. Second, when you take the step up to a programmable radio, check, re-check it, walk away and check it again. If you have any doubt whatsoever, have someone else check it. New plane, new programmable radio, no photos of the finished plane, one mistake, and it's a yard sale. I found out after the crash the ailerons were reversed! Combined with a slight tail heavy set up it was more than I could control and almost hit my house. What I learned. Take pictures often they are cheap. When you buy a new radio learn it inside and out and a second set of eyes before your first flight is a plus. Buy a quality CB machine they are cheap compared to the cost of a new bird. These are the only three photos I have of this bird.

firemanbill
12-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Awwwwwwwwwww man! Bummer! Big time Bummer!

Good advice for all to follow.

BTW, What part of Tennessee are you in. We'll be going home to TN the day after Christmas to visit the folks for a week. Just outside of Knoxville.

hondo33
12-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Is sure is funny how we learn the most from our worst mistakes. I am in Clarksville, TN about three hours from Knoxsville.

firemanbill
12-15-2007, 04:36 PM
But as long as you learned your lesson and don't repeat it you are better off!

You're up there near Laine! You ought to hook up with him and see that big 'ol wing he made!

pd1
12-15-2007, 07:18 PM
hondo33, I've done that a couple of times too.
Looks like it hit pretty hard too.

Let it sit for a couple of days then look at repairing it.

Sometimes they can come back.
Good luck.

Paul

Spoonrobot
12-15-2007, 08:09 PM
At least you got an interesting story out of it. :)

Don Sims
12-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Ouch!! Hate to see what looks like a P-47 hurt like that, what part of Tennessee are you in??

hondo33
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I live in Clarksville, TN up near the Kentucky border.

Grasshopper
12-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Sorry to see that happen. Looks like a little TLC (and glue) and you can get it flying again. Worth a try anyway.

hondo33
12-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Well I had GWS zero waiting for electrics so a did not attempt to save it. I actually have the pilot, servos, motor and speed control in the zero. I did keep it and have being salvaging off it for many of my other planes. I do live pretty close to Laine. We met at the LHS and talked for a good while. I was invited to the maiden of the super-wing, but unfortunately I have a day job. Laine will learn like I did that civilians work this crazy thing called the five day work week and do not have the government holidays off like soldiers do. After retiring from the Army after 20 plus years I thought I would have more time for flying, NOT!

hondo33
12-16-2007, 05:02 PM
My local Hobby Shop is owned and operated by quite a character. He provides straight forward; wit, wisdom, and humor almost free of charge. One of his bits of wisdom that is clean enough to post on this forum can often be heard around the shop. "All flying models come with an expiration date" How true is that!

stevecooper
12-16-2007, 05:25 PM
hehelove and love (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=18845):: I love you county, where are you in China? we need more bub's from there to chime in too,your bub, steve

Don Sims
12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
I live in Clarksville, TN up near the Kentucky border.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=4723
Imopar69 Laine lives up in that area. He's being deployed soon though. Billintn is over in Paris. We're in the west central part of the state.

hondo33
12-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I met Laine and his wife at the LHS just awhile back. We have been trying to get together to fly, but with him getting ready to leave and my day job, we just haven't found the right day. I missed the maiden of his monster 13 wing on Friday as I had to work.

Fly Time
12-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Ouch! I feel your pain! I have a P-47 too. And I have also made the HUGE mistake of attempting a first flight without properly checking my control throws. Yep, the ailerons were reversed! And no, I'm not good enough to fly a plane like that either.

Thankfully, I made that mistake with my Stryker, so when the time came to maiden my P-47 I already knew to check everything very carefully (and take pictures first :D)

The Stryker only broke into about 4 pieces and was fixed very easily. I have a feeling the Jug would not have faired so well.

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 04:08 AM
reversed ailerons is not all that uncommon .But have any of u seen the guy with the 1/4 sized Cap or Extra 300 that looses a wing panel in flight, keeps it under control in knife edge and successfully lands it , bending the main gear.It's on you tube.

Fly Time
12-18-2007, 04:25 AM
reversed ailerons is not all that uncommon .But have any of u seen the guy with the 1/4 sized Cap or Extra 300 that looses a wing panel in flight, keeps it under control in knife edge and successfully lands it , bending the main gear.It's on you tube.

Come on now, give us a link!

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 04:28 AM
I personally saw a nitro model successfully land with no elevator one day . He had throttle set for a slight climb at idle and he yelled NO Elevator and some really experienced guy yelled back Turn it and he did and it settled in for a sharp landing

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 04:29 AM
I just went and searched but couldn't find it But i'll keep trying stay tuned

Fly Time
12-18-2007, 04:37 AM
About 6 weeks ago I was flying at the local park with another guy. He had a really nice electric balsa aerobatic ARF (not sure what type). Anyway, I was flying my Stryker and misjudged our proximity to each other. Flew right through his tail! It was an awful cracking sound followed by little blue pieces of balsa and monocote fluttering to the ground. Amazingly, his plane kept on flying, less one elevator and a good piece of the left stabilizer too. He made a perfect landing. Of course the Stryker didn't even have a scratch!

buzkil
12-18-2007, 04:44 AM
I saw that knife edge landing. That kid almost landed it on the runway but at the last second he over corrected and landed inverted. That was some smooth control on his part.

buzkil
12-18-2007, 04:49 AM
here is the link, enjoy!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=0RMqDP_HJyk

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 05:21 AM
Well it must not be posted there anymore sorry

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Yeah its there as the plane loses main left wing thats the one i was talking about

Alpea42
12-18-2007, 05:29 AM
The other one is cool too tho

buzkil
12-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Hey that ones even better. Really no damage on his plane.

7car7
01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
here's the Bill Hempel one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXMrFh3n7M

Fly Time
01-23-2008, 06:39 PM
here's the Bill Hempel one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXMrFh3n7M

WOW! Great stuff! Thanks.