PDA

View Full Version : E3D questions

rcflyer7
12-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi guys,
I have a question on the E3D. I have the kit, and ordered a Hacker C40-12T to put in the bird. My question is that the place that I bought the motor from sent me a standard gear box and a 13 tooth pinoin. What I wanted was a planataty gear box to go with it. Am I stuck with this set up or is there some one who sells a planatary set up for th C40-12T. I was under the impression that the 12T meant that there was a gear box as part of the motor. I can use some help here in finding out just what set up to use.
Thanks
Rich

Mike Parsons
12-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Hi Rich,
The 12T stands for the number of turns. 12T= 12 turn, 10T= 10 turn etc.
What kind of standard GB? Can you post a photo of it? I used an MEC Superbox with mine from http://www.modelelectronicscorp.com/. Excellent GB's and very flexable with the gear ratio.

You will want a 5:1 ratio on 3S lithiums or 10 round cells. This is a great setup.

-mike

rcflyer7
12-07-2005, 04:15 AM
Mike,
Nice to hear from you again, and that is the exact set up that the hobby shop sent me. It is the MEK superbox, and he sent me a 14 tooth pinion for the motor.There was a mix up on the motor, it wasen't sent in the package but it is being airmailed today, should have it Thursday.
I just wanted to make sure that I had the right set up. How has this gear box held up for you? It looks to be a pretty solid looking gear box.

rcflyer7
12-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Mike,
Could you tell me about the rest of your set up...Batteries, servos and do you use a ubec. I think that I am going to go with the JETI controller. I like the set up card that you can program the esc with. Have you used the JETI before and if you have , had you any comments on it?How about the eceiver what do you use?
Rich

Mike Parsons
12-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Rich,
The Superbox is one of the best around. Very flexible in gear ratio's and if you get the mesh correct, a single spur gear will hold up for years.

Do you know what tooth the Spur Gear is? Should be a 70t Spur gear to reach 5:1 with a 14t pinion.

On the rest of the setup:
In the kit version, I used Hitec HS-81's all around, however did end up swapping those out for Futaba 3102's. Much quicker, better centering and less likely to strip gears (I havent yet and been using them for over a year).

Battery was a 3S3P 6ah gen 2 lite. With the new Pro-lites, a 3S2P is recommended or a CellPro 3S 3200 if you want to go with Kokams, but you might have ballance issues with just a 3S.

I use a UBEC on anything 10 cells and higher. Escpecially if I am using Lithiums. I trust them with my 25 size planes to 50cc size conversions.

Jeti controllers are great. Just keep them within their limits. I have yet to have a problem with one. The programming card is nice and makes changes at the field easy. I had a Hackermaster 40 in mine.

I used an Electron 6 in mine. I still use Electron 6's in a lot of my planes. Light wieght and dual conversion makes them nice.

-Mike

rcflyer7
12-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Mike,
I see that MEC has a good supply of electrical equipment. I was thinking of just ordering the rest of what I need from them. Do you recomend them? Their Astroflight 109 lithium charger has the best price that I have seen so far, but price is not always the way to go.
Rich

rcflyer7
12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
MIke,
I see that JETI has the 40 amp with the bec and the opto without. I wonder witch one I should get. With the bec I can use it on down the road on other planes....but this size controler will probably be used in a large set up with a ubec any way. What is your opinion on this?
Rich

hul
12-07-2005, 09:29 PM
the Hacker 5.2:1 planetary box can be made to fit, just needs a spacer between motor and box. Aircraft World sells to box.
I use that combination on my E3D and never had any issues of any kind with that drive system. 14x7 APC E draws about 40 to 41amps on 3s Lipo. Average draw is only about 15amps, the 40A ESC should work. Get a bigger ESC, if you plan to use the motor at higher load in another plane. The Hacker BEC is probably close to its thermal limit with 4 servos. I use a 60A opto and an SBEC.
Balancing the plane isn't an issue, it even balances with a small 8oz pack (3s1p PQ2500XP), with room to go either way.

Hans

Mike Parsons
12-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Rich,
MEC is a great company to buy from. I did some beta testing on a line of motors they were going to release and had the chance to fly for them at SEFF two years ago. Pete is a great guy and goes out of his way to make sure the customer is happy.

on the Jeti:
Me personally, I would go with the Opto since a UBEC will be used regardless. I dont use BEC on anything above a 35a ESC and then it is with only 3 servos (like a pusher jet or EDF).
The Jeti has some surge head room, and if you prop it for 40 and under you will be fine. However Hans makes a very good point that if you can, give yourself a little headroom and it can be recycled for other larger projects. Not necessary but definately something to think about.

I also used a Mega 22/20/2 in this plane for 600 watts. Absolutely ballistic. I am not sure what the Hacker is rated at, but if I recall it is around 450 watts.

-Mike

rcflyer7
12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
hul,
That is just what I am trying to track down is a planetary gear box. I am trying to get away from the noise of a standard gear box. Can you give me athe address of the place that you mentioned.
Mike,
Are you guys flying with a 3s1p or a 3s2p?
Rich

hul
12-07-2005, 10:52 PM
http://aircraft-world.com/ they're in Japan, but shipping is cheap and fast
The gear box is here: http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=500

I have used the C40-12T at 400W in a WW2 fighter, I think you could run it on 5s to about 50amps, about 750W with adequate cooling.

I'm using 3s1p packs in the E3D, either PQ4400N or PQ2500XP.

Hans

rcflyer7
12-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Hul,
I checked it out and they wan about a $100.00 for it . I already have the other one so I guess that I will just go with what I have.
I am not sure if I am right about this but if I go with a 3s2p I take it that the pack would be too much for the speed controller. I was under the impression that the 3s2p would give me more flight time. Am I correct on this?
Rich

hul
12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
the ESC doesn't care how many P's you use, it's the S's that matter. Look at the overall capacity of the pack, it doesn't really matter how many P's it's made out of. A 3s2p pack of 4000mAh (made out of 6 2000mAh cells) will give you the same flight time as a 3s1p pack of 4000mAh (made out of 3 4000mAh cells).
I tend to oversize my ESCs a little, especially if run times are very long. In the early days of Lipos a lot of ESCs failed from heat caused by the much longer run times compared to Ni cells.
The 4400mAh pack gives me longer flights than I need or want, about 18 minutes of 3D flight.

That Hacker box isn't cheap, but you won't ever strip a gear in that one. Hard to justify the price though if you have another box that fits...

Hans

Mike Parsons
12-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Rich,
As Hans stated, ECS's have a certain number of cells they can handle. The Jeti 40 opto is a 6-16 cell nicd/nimh or 2s-6s cell lithium controller. Adding in P's gives you more capacity as well as being able to handle more amps since each P you add is load sharing.

I ran a 3S3P in my kit E3D as at the time only 8C cells were available.

-mike