PDA

View Full Version : First seaplane?

Andrew Hendler
12-24-2007, 07:50 AM
I am looking for a good first seaplane. I am a newer pilot and self taught but right now I fly a stryker f27c and am confident with it. I also fly a slow stick, a slo-v, and a 400 wing. I also put in lots of hours on realflight before I flew my first time, and still put lots of hours on it every week. I have about 3 major crashes so far, but every thing was either replaced or put back together so no big deal (it is going to happen no matter what).

Any way I want to keep the slow stick the way it is for right now and wanted something a little more scale. I was thinking of doing the electrifly seawind with the recommended setup but want it to be more of an easy flyer for the moment so I was thinking of putting the FMA copilot in it to make it fly alittle easier.

Any input would be great

Don Sims
12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Andrew, my favorite was a GWS Beaver with floats on it. The plane was fairly stable in flight, easy to take off and land on water and the floats were removable.

Andrew Hendler
12-24-2007, 04:32 PM
I do like gws stuff and the beaver is a cool plane but i have always liked the look of the seawind

bawbeeseboy
12-24-2007, 06:53 PM
A GWS Beaver is a great way to start. A brushless out runner , small lipo, corrosion x and your all ready to go. Enjoy.

Don Sims
12-24-2007, 10:06 PM
The Seawind is a cool looking plane. I haven't noticed anything in the forums about it and am leary of reviews. If you can fly the Stryker well, you should be able to handle most other planes.

donjiskra
12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Andrew,
The "Seawind" is a great flying model, however it may be a bit fast for you as it really moves quickly. Those who can handle it make it a beauty to behold. I would advise a more "sedate" flyer, like the recommended GWS "BEAVER". You won't be disappointed.
Float flying is a lot of fun.
Don

LAbelle44
12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I am also a fairly new flyer and have Seawind,flys fast but well, I also have a flying boat hull from Jimsp for my GWS Slowstick with a Stevens Aeromodels wing, great slow flyer and very easy to learn with!:)

donjiskra
12-29-2007, 11:45 PM
LaBelle,
Good recommendation for the GWS Slow Stick with the Stevens Aero Model floatboat conversion. It's my next project. A great slow flyer for sure!!
Don

LAbelle44
12-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Don, thought I would try and send a pix of the SSFB. My first try!

donjiskra
01-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Your first try lookd GREAT!!!
I'm anzious to get started on mine, after completion of the Stevens Aero Model "Diddle Bug" and the E-Flite "Taylorcraft"
Don

LAbelle44
01-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Bad news, I now have the oppurtunity to rebuild the Stevens wing without the dihedral thanks to my clubs GUTS ONLY January fly-in and a little
problem with elevator control while inverted.:eek:

Wanted to recover anyway!

JRickey
02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
If you go with the SS, you can easily make traditional floats for it and can convert it to land in minutes.

bugjam1999
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
see my post on adding gws floats to a slowstick... i'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but the GWS floats are cheap and easy to get hold of, plus i can swop between them and wheels in about a minute and a half...

Eggvoel
03-02-2008, 02:03 PM
corrosion x for waterproofing. which type is best? thanks. Larry

beavenx5
03-19-2008, 04:30 AM
I was told to start with the Hobbyzone Supercub RTF and put some GWS floats on it. Just need to widen the stand of the GWS floats a little with longer rods.

There is a lot of info on the SC on many forums.

I got my SC in November and learned on it with wheels then put some Dubro skis for the winter (lots of snow up here). I got and built the WS floats but am waiting for the ice to sink around May 1st to maiden the floats.

The SC is a great plane, fun and easy. You can really enjoy it a lot by puting a 3s 1800-2200mAh lipo in it. Add a combat module, a drop module, skis, float... lots of fun and very durable.

Slowjohn
03-20-2008, 07:12 PM
I was able to pick up one of the original Multiplex Twinstar kits from Hobby People a few months back and plan to convert it to a seaplane. Not much fresh water around locally but there is an abundance of saltwater from the bay. Will the Corrosion X work for protection in saltwater conditions?
I guess that shows my recommendation for a first seaplane. There's a video of a converted Twinstar II that convinced me but I can't locate it at the moment :(. I'll post the link as soon as I can find it.

Thanks,
SJ

stevecooper
03-20-2008, 08:02 PM
My Bubs::How bout a foam chunckers & Gws float (one), made this one out of two gliders and wood dowels & stuff,Did a twin on floats awhile back but changed her out to wheeled gear later bub,steve

JRickey
03-20-2008, 10:05 PM
looks like you need more kids or a bigger wheel barrow to carry all of those

seth_man
07-29-2009, 12:37 AM
NO, corrosion X does not, u can always give it a try, but i would be a little uneasy