PDA

View Full Version : 50" Curtis Jenny

flismall
12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone my name is Mason and my dad is firemanbill.

Here is the plane "Santa" brought me for Christmas. It is a 50" wingspan curtis jenny made by Maxford. It looks to be detailed real good. We will get started building it as soon as we get back from my Granparents in Tennessee.

I sure can't wait to get to fly this one at SEFF this year.

Grasshopper
12-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Very nice Mason. You've got a great Dad. Just make sure he lets you fly it some too.:D

firemanbill
12-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Well thank ya Tom. ;)

I think it may be the other way around though, I just hope he let's ME fly it every now and then...:o

This does look like a very nice plane. All the wires are preinstalled, the hinges are already done so there really isn't a whole lot to do do get her ready.

Grasshopper
12-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Can't wait to see the maiden photos and video. Maybe he'll trade you for some stick time on the WACO. :Q

flismall
12-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks but I don't think thats going to happen.I don't trust him:(.JUST KIDDING.In a way

firemanbill
12-25-2007, 07:00 PM
HEY!!!! LOL...

Here is acouple of pics of it mocked up. Like I said it is pretty well complete. Not a whole lot to do but we'll wait to really get into until we get ack after the Holidays.

Biplane Murphy
12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Sweet!!!!

Looks like you got a nice plane Mason

And a great Dad too.

So Bill...Are you going to have it built tonight?....:Q:D:Q

firemanbill
12-25-2007, 07:22 PM
I dunno Murph... Looks like we might be able to get er done...

Naaahhh I better wait. We've got a ton of stuff to do to get ready to travel tomorrow morning.:(

We will sure be eager to get home though!:D

gfdengine204
12-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Mason,

Very nice looking Jenny. You got a great Santa there! Don't let him fly it like the first Eflite E-Liner, 'kay? ;)

And Bill, don't go pullin' no MOD stuff on me for that, 'kay? :)

firemanbill
12-25-2007, 08:02 PM
okay now we don't need to bring up old ghosts like that!:o

firemanbill
01-08-2008, 03:12 AM
OK so we're making progress!

We have the wings done and ready to go on. These come together already with the wires already strung. They will just need tighteneing once attached to the plane. The servo pockets have just... and I mean just enough room for the HS55's to fit in there. You can feel them from the top of the wing with no play room at all. It might be a goo idea to get smaller, height wise, servos for the ailerons. These are in the top wing also and there is no channel for the wiring to go into the fuse. We'll have to tape it to hide them.

51426 51432

The tail section is assembled and ready. It did not fit and required some sanding, a lot of sanding actually to get it to fit in there right. I do like the fact that it screws on and can be removed if need be.

51428 51427

The instructions for this kit are HORRIBLE! There is absolutely no written instructions at all. Just some grainy pics in sequence that show various parts already in place... not how the get there but how the end up... There are 9 pic steps on how to put the ailerons in but no pics at all of the placement of the servos in the fuse and or receiver placement and such...:confused:

51429 51430

We got the rudder wires in place tonight and it looks really cool. Again though due to lack of good instructions I will need to remove that servo arm to get the Elevater servo in since the rudder servo is now in the way...:(

Oh... And we got our pilot too!:D

Even with the lack of instructions, this is a very nice, well built kit.

Airhead
01-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks but I don't think thats going to happen.I don't trust him:(.JUST KIDDING.In a way
::oIn a way..... Oh boy, are you in trouble...;)

Welcome aboard Mason. as it was already said your Dad is a great guy. Always helps us out. glad you're here and your plane is coming along really good...:ws:

aviatordave
01-08-2008, 03:21 AM
wow, that is cool. I'll have to look at getting one of those. How did Bill win that thing?

firemanbill
01-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Santa brought this one!:cool:

firemanbill
01-09-2008, 01:25 AM
I got the pull/pull wires in place for the elevator tonight. I gotta tell ya this is really cool once you figure out... ON YOUR OWN... where everything goes.

This is not a plane for a beginner to build that is for sure. The space for the elevator servo is very very tight.

Once it is in place thought the wires attach easy enough but figuring out the over and under placement of them is a PITA! after about the third try I had them in a postion where the rudder cables were not rubbing against the elevator cables. I would post a pic of that but I can't get the camera up inside the fuse!

51504 51505

All the cables are crimped and I plan on hitting them all with some solder for a good solid connection.

51506 51507

We managed to get everything on the scale and am figuring the AUW is going to be right at 2lbs 8 oz, or 1140 grams

gfdengine204
01-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Mason,

She is looking awesome. You got a great looking flyer there.

Oh, and yer Dad is ok too......

(Bill, the comment in post #10 above about ghosts: why are you any more immune than Tom? ;))

firemanbill
01-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks Kev... I think.

Guys I am doing most of the posting on this but Mason is doing most of the work on it with some help from me.

Believe it or not he just ain't into the computers! I'm not complaining mind you!:D

gfdengine204
01-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Dang Bill, you must be doing something right....

But then, YOU are into the computers....hmmmmm

And sure, Thanks are in order....I think.

WWI Ace
01-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Cool plane Mason!! Snoopy is gonna love flying this one!! Steve

firemanbill
01-11-2008, 02:37 AM
A little more progress

Got the wing assembly on and in place. No rubber bands to hold these wings on! 4 nylon bolts hold the wings and gear on collectively.

51721 51716 51718

The tail skid is simple enough.

51719 51720

The gear in place minus the wheels.

Bad_B
01-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Great work Guys! Keep the updates coming. Mine just arrived yesterday and I plan to get to it in a few days.

“Horrible,” may be an understatement as far as the “instructions” are concerned. I honestly thought the box might actually contain written instructions to go with the awful low grade photos, but no luck. I wonder what the makers were thinking of when they included the photo with the random finger vaguely pointing at some parts? Was the finger meant to clarify some point? I thought it might be the international symbol for: use a self tapping washer head screw, but no, it’s just a finger.

Anyways thanks for putting up all the photos. I look forward to getting into the kit in a day or two.

Cheers,

Brian

firemanbill
01-11-2008, 03:15 AM
You're welcome Brian. Welcome to Wattflyer 51733

LOL... Yeah the dreaded finger!:eek: Have you figured out the third page yet? Mason has been staring it down for thae last couple of days trying to figure out what the arrows and lines mean.

I am still scratching my head over where the strings on the cowl, and the wires from the wings attach to the fuse at???

We hope to have her done this weekend.

Bad_B
01-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Hey Bill and Mason,

Thanks for the welcome! Nice group you all have here!

Yes, as a matter of fact I did figure out the instructions on the third page. It is a detailed diagram of the evacuation plan in case of a Chinese Fire Drill. Lol No, I’m still at the model in the box stage with the Jenny. I did just finish the Electrifly S.E. 5a and Fokker DR-1 below. My next AFR is here too the FokkerD.VII, so that has to be put together before the Jenny. I might indulge myself with bipes, but I have strict rules, build in order of purchase..then crash, rebuild/repair, fly next plane etc..lol

Brian

firemanbill
01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Them's some nice looking birds you got there Bud!

WWI Ace
01-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Pat Tritle makes a Jenny short kit with a 60"ws that weighs 26ozs. ready to fly!! www.patscustommodels.com (http://www.patscustommodels.com) is the site. Steve

WWI Ace
01-12-2008, 01:41 AM
OOOPPPSSS!!! its www.patscustom-models.com (http://www.patscustom-models.com) sorry!! Steve

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 02:06 AM
WHY??? WHY OH WHY??? WHY Did you do that to me!:p

No I gotta go buy that B-17 he has!:D And the Stinson... And the Thuderbolt and... and... and...

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Done and ready for the maiden in the morning!

These wing and cowl wires were a pain to figure out. Not hard once we figured out where they went. Had to do some google research for photos of Jenn's since the instructions were sorely lacking... I would have paid good money for some GWS instructions for this one! Yes that's how bad these are!

Anyway we put in a eflite 480 outrunner with a 45 amp Castle ESC and am getting 260 watts at 25 amps on a 3s with a 11x7 APC prop. At 2lb 8 oz she is just under 100 watts per pound so she should cruise pretty good I think.

We dialed in 50% expo and set the throws relatively low. Again there is no indication whatsoever in the instructions to tell you what they should be...

Here is the motor assmebly and cowl

51869 51870

Here are some shots of the wing and cowl wires

51871 51875 51872 51878

Here are the aileron leads routed into the fuse and inside the radio bay

51877 51876

Airhead
01-12-2008, 04:49 AM
WHY??? WHY OH WHY??? WHY Did you do that to me!:p

No I gotta go buy that B-17 he has!:D And the Stinson... And the Thuderbolt and... and... and...
Hey Bill,
You know, there is always a possibility that you could win some of those....don't you think... you are pretty lucky when it comes to that winning stuff..:D

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 04:53 AM
Well winning season is coming up soon!;)

Here is the Top gun Ace ready to go!

Airhead
01-12-2008, 04:53 AM
Bill,
Mason and you have done an excellent job on your Jenny. Great detail. Very realistic in those photos, awesome detail..:ws: I repeat.....

Grasshopper
01-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Good luck with the maiden guys! Looks great.

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks Tom. Tomorrow looks to be a great day. We were going to wait another week but this time of year who knows what the next few days hold weather wise so we cranked it out and finished her up.

Mason is so excited but ready to go. I am so excited for him as well!

We'll have some pics for sure and hopefully a bit of video as well!

Grasshopper
01-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Is Mason going to do the maiden?

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Yes he is!

Grasshopper
01-12-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm sure he's more than ready for it.

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Oh I know he is. Tom you will be impressed at his abilities when you see him fly at SEFF!

Just a few weeks back he was doing inverted laps around the field with the stryker. Made about 8 complete circuits as straight and level as anything, yet he was inverted the whole time, acted like it was nothing.

He is obviously nervous, but confident. I am sure he will do fine...

I am more nervous than he is!:o:D

Grasshopper
01-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Oh I know he is. Tom you will be impressed at his abilities when you see him fly at SEFF!

Just a few weeks back he was doing inverted laps around the field with the stryker. Made about 8 complete circuits as straight and level as anything, yet he was inverted the whole time, acted like it was nothing.

That's pretty good flying. Tell him to put me on his list for lessons at SEFF.:D

aviatordave
01-12-2008, 06:32 AM
wow, that rigging looks like alot of work.

Plane looks good, should fly nicely.

I'll look forward to the video...(yes, video!)

pburt1975
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM

Hold the phone, you got it done? :D:D Awesome!!! I may even get to see this jewel maiden, or atleast fly today:tc:.
And I'll second that about Mason. I've only seen him flying a few times but I'd feel safer with him flying my planes them me.

Great looking plane Mason, you did a great job on it too. I cant get over all the wire on that plane tho. The wire alone would weigh more then the moth I built, lol.
Cant wait to see it in the air!
Paul

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah Paul we coudn't resist, who knows when the next chance to fly will be, so we pressed on last night.

We're about to start loading up to head out to the field.

And thanks to all. Dave the rigging isn't as bad as it looks once you figure out where it's all suppposed to go.

Mr. Baggins
01-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Good luck Mason. Make sure to keep it in one peice so I can twiddle the sticks on it at SEFF.

firemanbill
01-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Well no maiden today. we tried to wait out the wind at the field to no avail.

It was not supposed to be windy based on the forecast, this had to be one of the days they missed it. A steady wind would have been fine but it was gusting from calm to 15 or 20 or so and very erratic.

So Mason decided to wait and try again tomorrow. Wise deciscion I think

Stay tuned!

pburt1975
01-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I hate that you didnt get to maiden it today Mason. I hate even more that I wont be there tomorrow to see it happen then, But I wish you the best with it.

Having seen the plane in person now, its definitely on my list of kits. How much you charge to build it again Mason? I cant top that!

firemanbill
01-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Well we were grounded again today. It wasn't quite as windy but the time we had available to go it rained on us so we did not get out...:(

Unless we get a good early afternoon opp during the week we'll have to wait and try again next weekend.

It just dark too early this time of year to get out in the afternoon much...

Mr. Baggins
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Weather here stank too. Tried to maiden my daughters Slow Stick and wind/lack of power ended the flight with a creased wing and bent gear. No big deal and she was Ok about it.
Hopefully next weekend we'll both have good news.

firemanbill
01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
That's too bad Bill. You need to put a brushless on that puppy!:D

pburt1975
01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear that Bill. Really looking forward to Mason getting to fly that Jenny. Its good to see he is exercising caution with it.
Told ya he seemed like a well grounded kid ;)

Airhead
01-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Well,
you guys will have the week to get things sorted out and hopefully have some low wind days for the weekend.:) Its been too windy here to fly today too.

Mr. Baggins
01-14-2008, 02:32 AM
That's too bad Bill. You need to put a brushless on that puppy!:D

Ordered a BL for it today

firemanbill
01-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Ordered a BL for it today

I figured it wouldn't take you long!:D

pburt1975
01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Well Bill, I just checked the forecast for this weekend. Looks like you may have a chance to maiden her, that is if the weather man is as wrong about this weekend as he was about last.

They're calling for 18mph sustained winds with gust up to 32mph for both saturday and sunday.

Sorry guys, I sure hope all this turns around for ya soon!

firemanbill
01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
yeah it isn't looking good at all. :(

And I have been way to busy to bail out of work early this week too. Monday is a holidays so maybe it'll let up by then and we can get out.

Patiently waiting! 52387

gfdengine204
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
"bail out of work early"? What kinda government-slacker type are you, anyway? LOL

firemanbill
01-16-2008, 09:56 PM
"bail out of work early"? What kinda government-slacker type are you, anyway? LOL

the kind that can... and will bail out any chance I get!

Wea re doing this though so my presence is need just about every minute of the day and then some!:eek:

a complete $800k remodel

firemanbill
01-26-2008, 10:55 PM
SHE FLIES!

Well after a very exciting start due to what I believe to have been a kink in one of the pull cables for the elevator that unkinked shortly after takeoff things settled out, a rather bumpy landing, some minor adjustments and we were back in the air.

once we had her trimmed out it flew very nice! We ran out of daylight visitng with a good friend from Georgia, ( good to see ya again Bill) so we will make a few minor repairs and adjustmens and hope to get her back out tomorrow. Will get some video then!

gfdengine204
01-26-2008, 11:23 PM
WOOHOO! Congratulations, Mason! (You too, Bill....)

Mr. Baggins
01-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for coming out and letting me witness the maiden. Great looking bird Mason!

firemanbill
01-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks guys,

Just wish you could be here longer Bill! We'll see you again at SEFF though! That's going to be a HooT!:D

Liquidity
01-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Hurry up and get back to GA Bildo. Dave and I went flying today. I also maidened my SSX at the Lowes near your house yesterday.

Mr. Baggins
01-27-2008, 02:13 AM
That's a pretty good place to fly then Brian?

Liquidity
01-27-2008, 02:19 AM
Yeah it is. I even had a few looky Loos

Grasshopper
01-27-2008, 03:10 AM
Congratulations Mason. And I'll bet you had nerves of steel while your Dad watched with shaking knees.:D

alienx
01-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Beautiful plane! Good job on the maiden guys.