PDA

View Full Version : Dare Fokker DVIII/EV


Geoffrito
12-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Here are a few quick pics of my current build, the Dare Fokker DVIII kit. I'll admit, I"m hardly a quick builder- I got the kit in June... yeah....
anyway, I've built the majority of the fuse and wing. Right now I'm re-building the wing in several places. I'm not exactly used to such a big wing.... I managed to break it in several places by not paying attention. :o Still, i've just about fixed it now. Still need to sand and sheet it, then build tail feathers for it. I'm pretty pleased with the kit- my only complaint is that the wood is really fragile, but then again, I may just have clumsy fingers. Let me know what you think :ws:

Geoffrito
12-27-2007, 04:04 AM
Just as a side note:
I'm hoping to start sheeting the wing LE tommorrow.. Does anyone have any tips or hints? anything to watch out for? I'm pretty much a novice at sheeting things, mind you- any help is much appreciated!
thanks,
geoffrey

scalercflyer
12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Geoffrey, I use WINDEX clear or ammonia to bend sheeting around curves. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation when you use it. The balsa bends very easily using this technique. Another really good tip is too make small gussets of plywood and glue them at the fuse joints where the angled pieces all meet together at the top and bottom of the fuse. This makes the joints super strong without adding a significant amount of weight. BTW, the DVIII is also one of my favorites. :cool: I'm sure if you ask Steve (WWI ACE) he will agree too. Seems he has a Ben Buckle kit of the DVIII too. I wonder where he got it???;) :) Good luck with build. You're doing a fine job! Martin

Geoffrito
12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
alright, thanks! I'll give it a shot then :)

Geoffrito
12-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, my index finger feels like someone's drilled a hole through it, what with all the straightpins I've been pressing in today! Anyhow, I made some progress. The elevator has rounded tips, which are laminated. I've managed to get both of those done, and one (as you can see in the pictures) is happily glued into the elevator. The other is still drying. I've also started sheeting the wing LE. One last panel to do. Turns out I didnt even need to wet the balsa- I was able to pin it down to the main spar and LE stock as the glue dried. Oh well. Thanks anyway for the advice, Martin :)
I have the left elevator half all framed out and am waiting for glue to dry. I've started with the tailplane and right elevator half, but i found out I've run out of 1/8 square stock! :<:

No worries, I'll just cut some more.

Hopefully the pictures will clarify my rambling narrative.

Best regards
-geoffrey

rcers
12-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Fantastic! My favorite WWI bird......keep up the great work and pics!

Mike

Geoffrito
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Fantastic! My favorite WWI bird......keep up the great work and pics!

Mike

thanks! I doubt you'd be saying that if you could see it up close though ;-)

Anyway, after cutting some admittedly funky-looking '1/8" ' "square" stock, I've finished framing the tailplane and elevator. tommorrow i'll try and get the fin and rudder done.... doubt i'll get much more done tonight.

- geoffrey

Geoffrito
12-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Alright, I lied. Couldnt resist doing a bit more.

Anyway, I've started sanding the wing, and i've framed the rudder, which is pinned down and drying. The only construction I really have to do frame-wise is the fin and tailskid, I think. Once that's taken care of I can move on to installing electronics, I suppose.
The pics are just of the frame so far mocked up quite roughly. Couldn't find the struts in the basement- will have to dig around some more later!
Fairly certain I wont get any more done today- honest! =p
-geoffrey

WWI Ace
12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Makes Martin and I wanna dig out our Ben Buckle kits!! Steve