PDA

View Full Version : I've crashed EVERYTHING, Including my ME-109! WARNING: LONG!

fr4nk1yn
12-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Before I retired my Formosa I decided to buy a GWS warbird.
Narrowed it down to either SpitFire or ME-109. I couldn't find a NPS SpitFire but the LHS had a powered ME-109.

I built it concentrating this time on keeping it light and close to stock, two things my Formosa wasn't.

Took it out for a maiden and crashed it few seconds in. I figured the single servo wasn't strong enough for the really tight CA hinges.

Fast forward 6 months and all my scratchbuilt planes are going in. It's either sacrifice a small animal to the plane Gods or fly the GWS.

I installed another servo in the stock location, one for each aileron set them up for flaps and spoilers and waited for the rain to stop.

I get up at dawn and head to the school yard with one small battery and a big one. MotoCalc say over 20 ounces of thrust with the power system at 9.5 amps. I plug the battery in and nothing. The ESC is beeping the motor but that's it, no controls, no arming. I took the wing off the check the wiring and no light on the RX, wiring is OK. I'm thinking "I've read something similar to this" Back home and re-bound the AR6100e, now it's working but I'm losing confidence in the AR6100 from what I've read. Not gonna stop me from flying though.

I'm in the middle of the field looking at it, the sky and "meditating" as I do before a maiden to ease the jitters. Make what I think are some some needed adjustments and check the thrust. It'll have enough thrust to take off vertical from my hand so I'm not too worried about the throw.

And it's off. Too much up elevator, that was my trim adjustment, reduce the elevator in the subtrim, I often give it to much elevator on maiden so I'm ready, and reduce it even more with the trim, "I'll re-index the servo arm later" is my thought.

So now I'm getting used to the plane, it's trimmed pretty good, ailerons could use some more travel but there's stiff and the plane still handles well.
It looks GOOD in the air albeit a little "slow".
So a lot of thrust gets me doing some vertical, Split-Ss, Immelmans, loops and dives. It's flying stable so I expand my flying area, a little over the trees, a little over the school.

While over the school I roll it inverted and give it some up elevator for a Split-S as the plane goes vertical it "loses communication", "goes into failsafe", I don't know but it doesn't finish and goes right into the one story schools roof.

I walk around the school since there's a courtyard in the middle maybe I got lucky even though the crash was kinda tinny sounding. No such luck, there's plenty of places for a person to climb on the roof even without a ladder but before I do that I check to see if anybody's working.
As I walk to the front door there's the Janitor. I explain what happened and where I think it is. There's a small ladder leading to the roof and the moment he's up before I finish getting up he sees the plane.

The wings off at the mounting screw, the tail is broken clean, the motor stick is loose and pushed back the gearbox is destroyed and the part of the nose that is not shattered, is crumpled. It's "humming" when picked it up.

Back at home the linkages are all connected, the servos are functioning, motor works and the prop shaft is not even bent(?!?).
Oh well at least this time it wasn't my fault, well not directly my fault.

wilky
12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
sorry to hear about your misfortune. the 6100e is the micro RX for the dx 7 right? you said your scratch builts were going in, as in crashing? are they also using the 6100?
Hope you get it figured out.

fr4nk1yn
12-27-2007, 09:23 PM
sorry to hear about your misfortune. the 6100e is the micro RX for the dx 7 right? you said your scratch builts were going in, as in crashing? are they also using the 6100?
Hope you get it figured out.Right. They all used this same 6100e, but I'm not going to blame it for all the stuff.
All the scratch builds didn't really crash. One wing broke apart in the air. One was unstable, one didn't have enough thrust, the biplane had some quirks and some potential but was too fragile.

This one I'm blaming on the RX.

Thanks.

rcers
12-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I can appreciate that you are blaming this one on the RX - but I suspect that may not be the cause.

How much elevator throw did you have on the model? The GWS warbirds fly great - but are monsters with too much elevator throw. The ME109 and Spitfire are ESPECIALLY prone to snap with too much elevator - with your description the model was going fast + too much elevator throw = snap...

Mike

pd1
12-27-2007, 10:08 PM
fr4nk1yn, I don't doubt what you saw, and without contrary evidence I will believe you.

Is there the possibility that when you pulled up to go down the elevators simply flattened out?

While going straight down, the motor will seem to keep going due to windmilling.
The only reason I ask is I nearly lost my P-38 that way. I was lucky and high enough to roll upright.

Hope you find a definitive answer before risking another plane.

Paul

fr4nk1yn
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
It did not have too much elevator throw. I'm fact I thought I didn't have enough. This plane was set up very tame compared to all my others, it didn't even have expo or dual rates.
Ailerons was a little "slow", rudder was weak but elevator response was good.

This wasn't a fast plane, even in a dive.

I could be wrong but the prop was still turning and the gearbox was whining.
I'm just stating what I saw of the plane during it's brief flight. When the throttle was closed the propeller stopped dead. The cogging of the motor is VERY strong, I doubt it was windmilling.

I'm not sure what you mean by "flattened out".

All I know is it didn't pull out of the Split-S at the worst possible moment.

Alpea42
01-18-2008, 08:32 PM
As john Lithgow said in Twilight zone the movie,and William Shatner in the Twilight Zone T.V. series."It's gremlins I tell ya ,they're on the wing they're gonna crash this plane" Try sacraficing that small animal and feed them.

PerlAddict
01-18-2008, 10:35 PM
If he said his transmitter showed he lost connection and then went into failsafe, why are we debating whether the elevator was at fault?

I keep hearing about the failsafe lockout on the DX7 ... I just sold my DX6 for a DX7, and now folks are starting to get me a little worried. :(

fr4nk1yn
01-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Finally a perfect maiden! (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=345967#post345967)