PDA

View Full Version : "New Era" by Enterprise

FinnFlyer
12-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I have an old C/L kit I found at a flea market. It is the "New Era" by Enterprise, copyright 1948.

I have been thinking of converting it to Electric RC. It has a 28" WS, and is 21" long. Fully symetrical, mid-wing.

Is anyone familiar with this kit? My wife thinks that I will ruin this antique kit by building it. I say it is worth the same, built or unbuilt.

Also, does anyone have experience with 57 year old balsa? Just wondering if the wood will be fine, as it is very dry.

All help is appreciated.:)

ForestCam
12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
It'll be lots of fun getting all the old doped silk off and if it's like any I've seen the entire rudder is pitched to the right.:(

Wait you said kit, if it isn't built I'd say it shouldn't be hard to convert other then you'll have to do a bit of lightening as you go along since big ol' CL planes aren't known for being light.

Elfwreck
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey now,
You could prolly convert it, I've done exactly that with several old c/l designs. However, your wife may be right. Lots of those very old c/l kits are worth a *lot* of money. I recently sold a "Super Ringmaster" kit for a hundred bucks. That wasn't nearly as old or rare as the one you have.
I'd suggest putting it on E-bay and taking the profits and buying something really cool. Some of these old kits have gone for well over three bills, think about it...
RobII

Sky Sharkster
12-10-2005, 12:52 PM
To FinnFlyer, I agree with Elfwreck, the kit is worth a LOT more on eBay if you leave it "In the Box". Most of the old C/L planes were heavy (compared to modern electric designs) since they had to survive the vibration, weight and fuel-proofing inherent with glow engines. Also the short tail moment arm and overall design parameters don't really translate well from C/L to R/C.
My opinion is you'd be better served, both in cost and flyability, by selling the kit and using the $$ to buy a Mountain Models or Stevens Aero aerobatic model. With the prices the old kits are getting you might afford a brushless motor and ESC too! Ron

Demon-leather
12-10-2005, 01:26 PM
You can build it, AND sell it. You can copy the parts to new wood very easilly...especially if it is a printwood kit. I love the old kits, especially from the WWII era. They are strikingly scale, and there are choices in aircraft that most of the generic McCookie cutter kit makers today haven't a clue existed. The only bad thing, is they were produced from substitute wood like pine, bass, and formers were cardboard. The reason being that the real balsa was being used in the REAL fighters... in wingtips, elevaor & rudder tips, etc. I can build from My WWII kits without disturbing them too much By copying the plans and reproducing the printwood on nicely selected contest wood. The process is rediculously easy, and You can keep or sell your origional kit... as long as you have a copy of the plans & printwood, You have a virtual "short kit" on paper, and can build or repair you 60-75 year old model effortlessly, and show up at the field with something NOBODY else has, and create a huge stir! :D Here's a How-To thread I did quite a while back. The camera I had took fuzzy photos, but you'll get the general idea. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77687
If it is a diecut kit, don't despair,.. You can still do it, just a few more steps. You'll have to trace parts to an 11 x 17 legal copy paper then photocopy it Makes printwood just like in some of the old kits. All you need is one piece (like a fuselage side or former) out of the sheet, and you can make the other piece by merely copying twice. If it's a constant cord wing, just one rib,(or one rib and one of any special ribs like centers etc.)
If the kit you are copying from is of high value, You can copy the Balsa Sheet in the copier, and there SHOULD be enough of a diecut line you can trace the part & recopy for a transfer piece. I had an Enterprise Super Liner a while back that was for C/L or F/F...I think it was 18" span and what was called a "Ritz wing" but I'm not familiar with the New Era. I hope you post a photo of the plan, or box top here so I can see it. I'm just the other side of Fayetteville, so we are almost neighbors. :D So, if You need help I can. Bob
PS: Below are some photos of My 1939 Scientific Mercury Jr. with a 50" span. I've made 2 others from the same kit, and STILL have the origional 1939 Kit! If I'd had built her from the origional wood, she'd been quite heavy, (the wood quality was terrible in the kit!) But now, as she sits, even with the heavy maple engine mount beams, she weighs in at 6.4 oz. on the digital postal scale. With covering, gear & LiPoly battery, She shouldn't go over 15 or so oz. Perfect for geared 350/400 set up. :D Bob

FinnFlyer
12-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone.
I still have a lot to think about, but the idea of templating off all the pieces out of modern balsa is the way I am leaning right now.
If I get around to it, I'll post some pics.:D

Thanks to all,
And to all,
Good flying!:)

Demon-leather
12-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Of the Box-top, or plans.. I THINK I remember the New Era, but I'm getting old, and they all start fading together (Makes me want to build what I see.. but alllll those wings!! :eek: :D ) Bob

FinnFlyer
12-13-2005, 07:09 AM
I tried to upload them here, but it didn't work. :confused:
So here is a link to where I posted them.:o
I am not promoting the "other site", just trying to show some pictures.:D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449980#post4728142

Demon-leather
12-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Now, that one, will be a tuffy ro reproduce! Those carved fuselage jobs would take some doing. You MAY be able to replicate it with fan fold foam, or even carving a foam block. It's a lot different than the Super Liner, but as a kid, I had tons of the solid Enterprise Ukies,.. Scientific ones too. ( I just couldn't fly them well, I'd get dizzy, fall down, and stuff the plane. :( ) The Superliner was built-up, and could be made in 3-different ways... An 020 Free Flight, A Jetex-powered Free Flight, or a Tow-line glider. With a 24" wingspan & light construction, it would be perfect for 3-channel sub-micro with either an IPS direct drive, or a converted CDROM motor With the D/D IPS , I'd use a Kokam 340ma 2 c 7.2V lipoly, and with the CDROM, I'd use a 3 c 340 11.1v. Here's some photos of the plan.. They always had GREAT gimmicks in the 50's! This one had 3-different build versions and an easy go-together "ritz wing" (Ya Gotta Love good advertising! :rolleyes: :D ) Bob
Oh,.. and don't worry about promoting that "other site"... I think the LAST thing we need is site competition. I look at it like we're ALL a big community(modelers), with a common goal(electrics), and this is just a different neighborhood. I have almost 2000 posts there, hopefully I'll live long enough to get 2000 or more here! :D

FinnFlyer
12-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. My wife and I have been discussing this kit. She thinks that if I "have to" build it, that I might be able to sell ad space on it.:rolleyes:
It may be the only one left, so it could be a real head turner.
I'm not too keen on putting it on E-bay as they are very fickle. If the right person doesn't look, at the right time, then it would be useless to list.
I am not above selling it, but I am not going to give it away.