PDA

View Full Version : Blip Cam

Watts up
08-08-2005, 12:20 PM
anybody using this camera www.blip.com.au (http://www.blip.com.au)

Watts up
08-08-2005, 12:22 PM
they are not too expensive and give great quality pics!

xrbcoronalogoflyer
08-08-2005, 06:41 PM
i agree!!! there's a couple of my pics in the blip user gallery...taken from my multiplex easystar.

PupSocket
08-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Thinking of getting an easystar for AP video. Anyone do one on floats?

xrbcoronalogoflyer
08-10-2005, 04:31 AM
hi pupsocket...my easystar ap has the stock 400-6 motor and prop...good enough for hand-launch and climbout...a couple of other guys are using mega 5-turn motors on theirs...vertical climbout...i'm sure they can handle the extra drag of floats...check out this link for easystar mods (including ap setups.)
http://www.mpx-easystar.de/
...here's a pic of my easystar, and a sample pic taken near water...

Mighty Wings Australia
08-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Yep i'm useing one and think its great, heres a picture of the model it flies in and also a shot taken with the Aiptek camera, this shot was taken on my very first AP mission so its not brilliant but I'm happy with it.
THe movie star here is powered by a pair of Ultrafly 30/24 brushless motors in the 7:1 gearbox, and they are fueled by a 1700 three cell dualsky, so far so good.

Nitro Blast
08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
I love my Blip Cam!
I hang it on my Cessna 182 (look in the conversion room) with some velcro, and I'm ready to go!

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2296/cessnacam126s2ob.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3299/image00064ow.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6233/cessnacam790hv.jpg

Un-edited pics... straight from the camera.

EpoweredRc
08-12-2005, 11:52 PM
so how does it work? do you just plug it into a extra channel and hook it up to like a gear switch? and hit the switch when you want to take a picture or how does it work? I have never seen on in person to know how it works.I'ld love to have one on my plane

xrbcoronalogoflyer
08-13-2005, 12:10 AM
the blip has a connector that plugs into any unused channel in your receiver...mine is plugged into the rudder channel...so every time i deflect the rudder stick, it takes a pic (my easystar uses elevator, aileron, and throttle channels) ...here's a coupla pics, which show the excellent resolution of the blip...

Nitro Blast
08-13-2005, 12:11 AM
exactly....

I plug it into Channel 5, and just flip the toggle switch on and off for each pic.

SUPER simple, and when I take my Laptop to the field to DL the photos, everyone wants to watch.

With the 128mb card, I get OVER 300 pics.

EpoweredRc
08-13-2005, 02:52 PM
exactly....

I plug it into Channel 5, and just flip the toggle switch on and off for each pic.

SUPER simple, and when I take my Laptop to the field to DL the photos, everyone wants to watch.

With the 128mb card, I get OVER 300 pics.

Oh thats what I figured,thats cool.Those are super great pictures.my digatal camera doesnt take far away pictures as good as that. Im impressed.

keepawiki
08-31-2005, 08:07 AM
has anyone used mr blipo (it just came to me) on any hobbyzone/parkzone products that are x-port enabled?? my challenger is just screamin for something like this and i'm in oz so it would be a bit easier for me to chase down...

keepawiki
09-02-2005, 02:01 AM
i rang up blip.com.au (from work) and they're looking into the x-port connector, nothing available as yet. apparently they've had a few requests for it. i sent them to a link on RCU with the x-port parts explosion / config. they don't have any HBZ/PKZ models to tinker with so any aussies out there with dead x-port enabled aerobird fuses can send them down to victoria care of Ben Moyes - Blip IT Pty Ltd - 9 Hutchinson Drive Kew Vic 3101

Nitro Blast
09-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Got your airsick bag handy?
I went to the field today to get some morning flying before the beaches got out of control and took the airborne camera.
During the first flight I was actually taking video clips by mistake! I didnt have the resolution set high or the gyro on the plane so I was actually not trying to fly smooth for the video's purpose (as noted by one of the video's) so sorry for the bumpy grainy images, but I still thought I'd share some of the better ones with you.

www.nitroblast.com/RCS/Takeoff.avi (http://www.nitroblast.com/RCS/Takeoff.avi)

www.nitroblast.com/RCS/Loop.avi (http://www.nitroblast.com/RCS/Loop.avi)

www.nitroblast.com/RCS/landing.avi

bobthenuke
12-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Has anyone found that many, not all, of the still pictures come out discolored; i.e. blue, yellow, red? I've had that problem with mine since it was new and I don't know whether to expect this or not.

TIA, Bob

xrbcoronalogoflyer
12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
hi bob...some of my pics come out discolored...i just throw them away...i think it has something to do with pointing the camera toward the sun...then the next shot or shots come out blue, yellow, red, etc...next time hold your plane/heli/blip in your hand and fire off a coupla ground shots...if they come out ok, there's nothing wrong with your blip...hope that helps...
-ken

meatball
12-17-2005, 12:15 AM
It has to do with showing too much of the sky and the ground at the same time, say 50/50. Cameras of this size often cant handle the difference and the result is color distortion, usually red or blue. My mini video camera is the same way, its much easier to see whats causing it when you can moniter it at all times. Just keep the camera point directly at the ground, with the only exception being in low light evenings (right before the sun goes down) and you shouldnt get any distortion.

Also, the blip cam is only 2 megapixels, whereas you can get 4 megapixel digital cameras with the same weight and size for like 80 bucks, and then modify it to fire when hooked to an open channel, or just rig up a servo to it. And the SD card they sell there for 25 dollars for 128 is overpriced in my opinion. You can get 512's for 30 if you shop around.

my .02 cents

-kevin

bobthenuke
12-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanks, guys

I had no way of knowing what was going on but now that I'm aware of this problem I can easily deal with it.

Thanks again,

bob

xrbcoronalogoflyer
12-17-2005, 02:22 AM
i kinda agree with kevin's explanation of color distortion...here's one of my blip shots--in the bottom right corner is a home depot and a walmart under construction--in the center is part of the pearl harbor boneyard--at top is the typical tradewind sky over leeward oahu...

meatball
12-17-2005, 04:25 AM
those are some of the low light conditions that permit a good quality picture. Most picture and video I take that is distorted has no clouds, and is near the sun, that looks like its directly facing away, with some cloud cover, its a cool looking picture.

If I find some of the video clips I took, itll easily show that when the camera gets close to the sun, the edges turn red because it cant compensate for the lighting difference.

Couldnt find my footage, but I found RCU has footage using the same video camera. The resolution is crappy, and looks a lot sharper in real-life, like a regular camera, minus the color distortion when facing the sun. The video is located after you scroll down under the hyperlink called "Ultimate 120 Montage"

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=47&CFID=6415223&CFTOKEN=80920605

You can see when it comes to the sun it gets red.

xrbcoronalogoflyer
12-17-2005, 06:34 AM
hey kevin...i watched the vids on your link to rcuniverse...good sounds, and dramatic red effects...here's a coupla shots of our flying site that i took, which shows a bluish frame and a yellowish frame...for an amateur ap, like me, seems sufficiently 'normal'...;)

bobthenuke
12-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Here are the pictures I sent to Ben Moyes when I asked him to please explain what was going on. Three of them poor, obviously, and one OK, all taken within 10 minutes of the other during the same flight from my EZ glider. I'm a bit unhappy that he never returned my email. I has asked earlier for some information regarding the movie mode, again no reply. These were sent almost a week ago. I again sent another email yesterday with no reply to date. So much for customer service. :mad:

While I'm at it, what I asked him about movies was essentially this...

1) how long can they be; i.e. what is the total length in time a movie can be?

2) can a movie and stills be taken one after the other (after changing modes, of course)? It would've been nice if the instructions mentioned any of this or provided some matrix of res vs time vs number of stills, etc.

I'd also like to know if there's a way to always have the timer bypassed...it's a pain to have to play that little game in the beginning to ensure that it's off if one wants to make a movie. Single frame shots work just fine with it off.

This camera seems to me to be nothing more than an overpriced toy with little or no support from the vendor. PRoblems such as I and you guys have encountered being S.O.P. for this device should come with some text explaining that they can and will occur and the reasons for them. Better yet, these issues should be noted in the sales literature. Of course, then no one would purchase one. Next time I'll definately have to go one step better and get something a bit more "serious". I'm having fun with it up to this point but the down sides of this thing are annoying, at least to me. Rant off.

thanks,

bob

meatball
12-17-2005, 03:09 PM
OK, I didnt know the distortion looked like that, that is definitely not being caused by the sun, thats the camera's fault. Dont know if they are all like that, but if it looks like you are wearing blue sunglass's and its so perfectly uniform like that, its not the sun or lighting effects causing it. I've never seen distortion like that, but seeing as how others claim its normal, its probably a small manufacturing fault. I wouldnt worry about it myself though, unless it happens every other shot.

And about it being an overpriced toy, your paying mainly for the specified label of 'R/C plane camera' and the modification that allows it to shoot using the reciever. Its a great product, and everyone has to make a living. However, like I stated earlier, they are cameras of identical size with higher resolution for something like 70 dollars or so, some with built in memory. You can modify them yourself, to shoot off the receiver channel, or rig up a servo to hit the switch. If your curious as to how to modify a regular camera to shoot off the reciever switch, heres a great tutorial (and site)

http://www.rc-cam.com/project1.htm

To see how to rig it up, click the upper most link, the aiptek, the other ones use similiar methods, with different cameras. Each link is a 'generation' at getting a better, cheaper, working camera.

-kevin

bobthenuke
12-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Meatball, thanks for the link. I will definately look into this closely.

I understand the modification, everyone has to make a living, yadda yadda. I just don't like the idea that this is advertised as it is, the instructions are next to useless (I finally downloaded from the camera site to get more information) and that the pictures on his site only show the good ones (of course). This is, to me, a bait and switch and once we receive these things we write it off since they didn't cost major $$.

Yes, I find it hard to believe that this isn't caused directly by the camera, and yes, it's just about every other picture. See why I'm pissed when I get no response from the seller?

bobthenuke
12-19-2005, 05:19 PM
In all fairness, I have to say that Ben returned my last email. His statement regarding the pictures (he didn't seem to think that the camera is defective) is similar to what you guys mention.

bob