PDA

View Full Version : Corsair Down

Fly Time
12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I was flying my Art Tech F4U Corsair this morning, and made an observation that might be of use to some of you newer flyers: model airplanes don't fly well with just one wing!

My plane was flying quite nicely, and I was completing a reverse cuban eight when I realized that my pull-out was going to be pretty close to the ground. I abandoned my scale manuevering and pulled back a little harder on the elevator to keep from getting too low. The plane responded and quickly rotated out of the dive, but the wing loading was too much and the right wing snapped at the location of a previous repair.

It was about 20' off the ground, level and flying fast when the wing departed, and from that point on my beautiful warbird was nothing more than a big blue lawn dart. ::o

The end came quickly as the plane arced gracefully into the ground :sad:

In addition to the broken wing, which could probably be fixed, the forward section of the fuselage is completely mashed. The motor mount and battery compartment are also pretty much destroyed, so I don't think this one will be repaired unless I can find a replacement fuselage.

The worst part of this story is that I had already purchased most of the parts to do a retract conversion, and this was going to be my last flight before taking it apart for the mods. I was also going to add a wing spar to increase the strength of the wing. :roll:

Grasshopper
12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
That's too bad. Maybe you can rebuild it, glass it and add the retracts. You'd never know it was crashed with a whole new face lift.

Fly Time
12-29-2007, 09:47 PM
That's too bad. Maybe you can rebuild it, glass it and add the retracts. You'd never know it was crashed with a whole new face lift.

Hadn't thought about glassing it, maybe because I don't know how. Perhaps it is time to acquire a new skill.

Grasshopper
12-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Hadn't thought about glassing it, maybe because I don't know how. Perhaps it is time to acquire a new skill.

Heck, if I can do it anyone can. It's really not that difficult, just takes a little time.

vax6335
12-30-2007, 05:31 PM
That sucks, but it would've been so cool if you had some video of it. I bet it looked just like gun camera footage right outta WW2.

CHELLIE
12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
It Does not Look That bad, most of the parts are there, Fix it, glass it then go fly it, they fly better after a mishap ;-) ask me how I know :D
Take care & Have Fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
12-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Hi Doug :) here is some usefull info on Glassing, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28040

Fly Time
12-31-2007, 01:45 AM
Thanks Chellie. I haven't decided if I am going to try to fix it. I know it doesn't look too bad in the photos, but the firewall and battery compartment areas are in really bad shape. I may just pick up another one at HobbyCity for $100 and keep this one for spare parts.

Regardless, my next project will be putting together the Gee Bee Model Y I got for Christmas. The servos and prop arrived yesterday, but the Rx got lost in the mail.

I bought it from Bishop Power Products, and they agreed to send another no charge without me even having to raise a fuss. I almost felt bad about bringing it up with them because they sell for so cheap to begin with. A+ vendor!

firemanbill
12-31-2007, 01:49 AM
Sorry to hear about that D. I have had my share of that type of stuff too... Heck we all have...:o

Just get back on the horse and ride again. Are the electronics still ok? If so a new airframe isn't that much.

Fly Time
12-31-2007, 01:52 AM
That sucks, but it would've been so cool if you had some video of it. I bet it looked just like gun camera footage right outta WW2.
Actually it looked more like a foam model crashing into a soccer field :D

Fly Time
12-31-2007, 01:56 AM
Sorry to hear about that D. I have had my share of that type of stuff too... Heck we all have...:o

Just get back on the horse and ride again. Are the electronics still ok? If so a new airframe isn't that much.
The motor shaft is bent a little, but everything else looks fine. Not sure if I can get just a fuselage and wing - it was a PNP. I have yet to find anyone outside of Hong Kong selling this particular model, and haven't seen spare parts for it either. No biggie - it was cheap.

firemanbill
12-31-2007, 02:12 AM
well like they say all planes have an expiration date on them... You found that one!

Fly Time
12-31-2007, 02:25 AM
well like they say all planes have an expiration date on them... You found that one!
Yeah, something like 8 flights for this one :rolleyes:

Actually, it was pretty much my fault. I crash landed it a few weeks ago and broke the wing because I was careless about my CG (mistake #1). Then I repaired it using foam safe CA, even though I knew epoxy would have been stronger (mistake #2). Lessons learned.

firemanbill
12-31-2007, 02:30 AM
yeah ca is not a good idea for a part that requires structural stability...

Of course you know that now...

At least you learned from it right?;) Of course you did!:D

Alpea42
01-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Don't pull Gs with foam aircraft.Fighter pilots can call it a "brown out ,black out ,or red out"To foamy R/C pilots it's a 'White OUT"

C140
01-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm thinking about putting a deployable parachute on one of my foam planes, that way if the wings fold, I can save the radio.

Fly Time
01-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm thinking about putting a deployable parachute on one of my foam planes, that way if the wings fold, I can save the radio.
Heck, that would save the whole thing, not just the radio! Problem is your reaction time has to be quick. For me it was mere seconds from wing departure to ground impact. The other thing is that foam does a nice job of absorbing impact forces. My radio, ESC and servos were all fine. The motor is still operable as well, though the shaft is bent a little.

wilmracer
01-18-2008, 07:15 PM

interesting idea. With my luck I'd wind up deploying it by accident when making a low high-speed pass...

but I really like the idea. I'f you wern't concerned about the airframe at all it might be fun to experiment with an "ejection seat" for the electronics. power it off a small air tank or (and don't shoot me for this) a small model rocket engine. have all the important electronics hooked up via quick release connectors to let them disconnect cleanly...

I'm probably taking the idea way to far and the parachute would make much more sense, but I have a habit of taking things a bit further than I probably should :silly:

C140
01-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Hey guys, check this out. It's not pretty, and I'm not entirely sure if it flys, but "wind tunnel" (fan blowing at 12 kts) testing shows that the mechanism works right. If it isn't windy tomorrow, I'll try it out. Here are some pics.

firemanbill
01-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Ought to be interesting. I hope it works out for ya. Will be watching!:D

Grasshopper
01-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Video would be great.

firemanbill
01-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Yes indeed Tom...

BTW your countdown clock is not going nearly fast enough!;)

Grasshopper
01-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Yes indeed Tom...

BTW your countdown clock is not going nearly fast enough!;)

Is that better? It's one minute closer now.:D

C140
01-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Sorry, no video camera right now, but if it does work I'll try to do some bursts with my camera during deployment with my father flying ( :eek: ).

firemanbill
01-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Nope... still not fast enough...!:D

C140
01-19-2008, 07:58 PM
IT WORKED!!! :tc: The parachute deployed just like it was supposed to, with a nice soft landing at the end. Now I've got to test it in unusual attitudes. So far, it's just been deployed in a stall.