PDA

View Full Version : Yak-55 from Hobby Lobby

meatball
12-08-2005, 02:26 AM
Hey, I was looking into a small eletric 3D airplane to fly next to my house (couple acres near me).

The Yak-55 really impress's upon me because its cheap, Depron, and hobby lobby sells them and the Esskay 400XT for 20 and 30 dollars respectively.

My question was, what are your opinions of this, and how does it perform 3D wise with the Esskay 400XT? What battery do you use? What prop? What is the thrust to weight ratio with your setup? Where did you get your setup at?

I really want a nice 3D airplane thats has plenty of power to do lots of things. I plan on getting a triton. I currently have an MRC 969 Brain charger that Im very disappointed with and plan to sell. I currently plan on using www.xushobby.com (http://www.xushobby.com) for a battery (electric power 12C) because they are the cheapest I've seen by FAR. I also like www.servocity.com (http://www.servocity.com) for radio. Then of course hobbylobby for the plane and engine and such.

Thanks in advance

-meat

Rugar
12-08-2005, 02:35 AM
Welcome to WattFlyer!
All your questions are already answered here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2695&highlight=Yak-55

The search engine is your friend ;).

meatball
12-08-2005, 02:46 AM
thanks for the welcome!

I read that thread, its what sparked my interest for the yak, but I only see one person post what battery they use.

Im looking at a 1300 mAH 12C electric power from www.xushobby.com (http://www.xushobby.com) and a 10Amp TowerPro ESC from xus hobby also. I like the prices.

Is this acceptable? Too heavy? Are towerpro ESC's reliable?

Also, do the 9x3.8 Slo-Flyer props fit?

Steve
12-08-2005, 07:16 PM
That battery should work fine, but I would suggest a larger ESC...closer to 20A. That will give you some options and if you pull 12C from that batt. you'll be drawing too much for a 10A ESC.

The 9X3.8's should fit anything provided you have an appropriate adapter or prop saver that fits the shaft on your motor.

Do you have other planes?

Jeremy Z
12-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I bought one of those too, might upgrade to an Esskay motor later. For now, I have a lot of planes waiting to get airborne, so I'm going to use a GWS EPS350 power system, and forgo the 3D stunts for now. A cheap receiver and a few cheap servos, and I should be good to go.

I'll surely post about it when I get it going. Which probably won't be too long, since indoor is so much easier to do during the wintertime.

I've read elsewhere that the Esskay motor is plenty enough motor for all 3D. The motor itself will come with prop recommendations, but I'd go with Hobby Lobby's recommendation personally. Most people seem to think they put together good packages. They aren't always cheap, but they generally see to it that their recommended package isn't underpowered.

Jeremy

GallopingGhost
12-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Hey, I was looking into a small eletric 3D airplane to fly next to my house (couple acres near me).

The Yak-55 really impress's upon me because its cheap, Depron, and hobby lobby sells them and the Esskay 400XT for 20 and 30 dollars respectively.

My question was, what are your opinions of this, and how does it perform 3D wise with the Esskay 400XT? What battery do you use? What prop? What is the thrust to weight ratio with your setup? Where did you get your setup at?

I really want a nice 3D airplane thats has plenty of power to do lots of things. I plan on getting a triton. I currently have an MRC 969 Brain charger that Im very disappointed with and plan to sell. I currently plan on using www.xushobby.com (http://www.xushobby.com) for a battery (electric power 12C) because they are the cheapest I've seen by FAR. I also like www.servocity.com (http://www.servocity.com) for radio. Then of course hobbylobby for the plane and engine and such.

Thanks in advance

-meat

The HL Yak is probably the best kit for the money when it on sale. I got 2 more when they were $14.00. I use the Castle Thunderbird 9 on mine with a 650 Electrifly 15C pack. It pulls 11 Amps WOT which it doesn't need on a 9X3.8. A bigger pack would pull more Amps and I would need another ESC. 1/4 to 3/4 throttle only needs 3 to 7 Amps to outfly my skills! The XT 400 is also a best buy. Depending on pack and flying style you might want a 18 Amp ESC. I may end up setting up a heavy (bigger pack and ESC) and light Yak to see how it does best. The heavy may handle a little wind better but I expect the light version will suit my style better. If you have never flown a Foamie and are a low time pilot you may need some help. They fly great but I would not call it a trainer!:rolleyes:

meatball
12-09-2005, 04:26 AM
Im not used to foamies, but this is my 6th plane among many others, all nitro except for an electric goldberg glider. I really dont forsee any trouble with it, I have a 3D nitro and a combat thats a real handful at full speed. Ill be fine. Thanks for the information, I guess Ill get a TowerPro 15Amp ESC in case I use it in another application.

Rugar
12-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I use the Castle Thunderbird 9 on mine with a 650 Electrifly 15C pack. It pulls 11 Amps WOT which it doesn't need on a 9X3.8. A bigger pack would pull more Amps and I would need another ESC.

A bigger pack as in more mah, will not pull more amps unless it is a higher voltage pack like going from 2S to 3S, or 3S to a 4S pack.

meatball
12-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Wow, the 15 dollar and 20 dollar sale just came back on!

I guess Ill be getting this plane. One last question, does it come with the pushrods and connectors and whatnot? Everything needed to build it if you have th radio/battery/engine? And what comes in the accsesory pack?

Twmaster
12-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Meat Wrote:

One last question, does it come with the pushrods and connectors and whatnot? Everything needed to build it if you have th radio/battery/engine? And what comes in the accsesory pack?

Go to the sale page at H-L, click the link to the item page and have a look at the description and photos. I think you will see your answer.

Electroman7
12-29-2005, 06:12 PM
I bought one of those too, might upgrade to an Esskay motor later. For now, I have a lot of planes waiting to get airborne, so I'm going to use a GWS EPS350 power system, and forgo the 3D stunts for now. A cheap receiver and a few cheap servos, and I should be good to go.

I'll surely post about it when I get it going. Which probably won't be too long, since indoor is so much easier to do during the wintertime.

I've read elsewhere that the Esskay motor is plenty enough motor for all 3D. The motor itself will come with prop recommendations, but I'd go with Hobby Lobby's recommendation personally. Most people seem to think they put together good packages. They aren't always cheap, but they generally see to it that their recommended package isn't underpowered.

Jeremy

What size indoor site are you using? A couple folks I know fly these with the esskay motor. They are heavy and very powerful. From what I've seen, they would be a real handfull in a gym. A buddy tried it but found he had to fly too fast for indoor due to the model's weight. Outside though it is a very good inexpensive model to practice 3D with. I have one also with the esskay motor.

qban_flyer
12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
The Hobby Lobby YAK-55 is not an indoor type. For indoor 3D flying the Great Planes Flat-Outs are better, though they are absolutely useless outdoors.:eek:

meatball
12-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Well, I got the Yak together, and went out to maiden it without checking the flight surfaces closely. Ailerons were reversed and it rolled in. The front engine mount was thrashed, but the tail section was pristine. I had another kit with the horizontal piece missing they sent by accident, so I used some of those pieces. It doesnt look pretty and the fuse isnt straight at the front, but what the hell. I'm waiting on a triton charger to recharge the LiPo, then Ill 're-maiden' it. If its too dissapointing, I guess Ill have to drop another 23 bucks on a kit, not too bad I guess.

hoppy
12-30-2005, 04:46 AM
A 1000mah 10C continuous duty battery is plenty with the 400XT motor which is rated for 10A. The motor has abundant thrust for 3D moves at partial throttle. I chose TrueRC for a 1000mah 15C battery and there HM10A ESC. http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/index.htm

qban_flyer
12-30-2005, 04:46 AM
Welcome to the "Sheesh! Why didn't I check that before I flew it?" Club.

If I had a dime for every time I have seen that happen, plus the times I have done it myself, i would be on easy street today.:D

meatball
12-30-2005, 04:58 AM
But I will say in the seconds before I discovered the rons were reversed, it climbed out and felt very comfortable and stable with good tracking (if thats possible), looks to be a good 3D plane.

qban_flyer
12-30-2005, 03:11 PM
But I will say in the seconds before I discovered the rons were reversed, it climbed out and felt very comfortable and stable with good tracking (if thats possible), looks to be a good 3D plane.

It is an incredibly nice flying machine, and as you say, it tracks as if on rails.

Best part I like about it? The price.:D