PDA

View Full Version : Any larger helis that are $500 or less?

Goanna
01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I have a CX2, a CP+ and a Walkera 4#3, all Micro/Mini helis. I would really like to get a larger heli now. I like the T-Rex 600 alot but that's way too much for me to spend on a Heli right now, lol.

I was thinking about the Blade 400 but it's not really that much bigger then the CP+, although the included DX6i and the new design still make it tempting.

Are there any helis similar in size to the Rex 600 that arent as expensive? Maybe $5-600 is all I would be able to spend on it, and I would like an RTF or ARF (without radio is okay).

If theres nothign new in this price range I guess I can look for used stuff, or I can go to the dark side and get a .30 nitro.

Curtis
01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I, too, am starting to consider a second heli for sport scale - not interested in 3D at all, but I like the stability, relatively docile, scale-like performance and hovering stability of a larger model. And in time I would like to consider first person video flight, etc.

I have read nothing but good things about the old tried & true Eco series. The Eco 8 needs some mods if you want to do hardcore 3D, but a lot of people find that it is still their favorite to fly, even with a bevy of hot swingwings at their disposal. With the increasing popularity of 'buzzword' models, the Eco 8 and its upgrades are very, very reasonable today. The new Eco 8 Royal has a number of design improvements and upgrades over the original Eco 8.

The Eco kits (and I am interested in a kit) come in well under $200 w/o motor/electronics. Significantly less than a big T-Rex, or any other large helis, for that matter.

I would certainly be interested in others opinions regarding kits in the 600 class helis.

Heli Jim
01-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Look at the Blade 400 that just came out.

List price is $469 and it includes a killer radio, the Blade DX6i

This is a radio that you can grow with and use in more advanced helis when you get better and decide to upgrade.

Curtis
01-04-2008, 12:08 AM
The Hurricane 550 looks nice, too.

Dang. More choices... I really think I would like to build one from the ground up, though. Any rcommendations on 500-class frame up kits?

Heli Jim
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, do you already have a radio, receiver, and servos??

This would cut down on the cost of the build by quite a bit.

Maybe a T-REX 450 or 500

CHELLIE
01-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Hi Everyone :ws: the Century Swift is a nice heli, I bought one, and i need to assemble it :D I have been buying the stuff little at a time, here is a link to it, its a 30 size electric, Take care, Chellie

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/swift/index.htm?currentid=304

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/swift/images/swift-o-matic.jpg

Curtis
01-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Well, do you already have a radio, receiver, and servos??

This would cut down on the cost of the build by quite a bit.

Maybe a T-REX 450 or 500

Hey Jim,

No, I am planning on a DX7, though. Probably one of the xmitter/receiver packages with the AR7000 for around $200, and then I'll look into the appropriate servos later on.

I have watched Finless' build videos for the T-Rex 600 and numerous other models, and am tempted by them, however at this point in time (and for my sport scale purposes) it looks like I could still get the Eco 8 (Std.) with most of the suggested frame upgrades (and some of the metal aesthetic ones) for less then a T-Rex 500 or 600. However I am still 'just looking' and haven't gotten down to my usual level of research, however I certainly will consider all of those options - knowing me I'll probably spreadsheet them!

Any suggestions on servos for use with a 500-600-class heli/DX7 would be great. I assume these would be int he precision/ball-bearing class? I see that most people use a digital servo for the tail in order to interact with the new digital gyros better.

C

ducatirdr
01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I know that ESky isn't well known but it has a large following. I have a small fleet of ESky stuff and went with their 600 class bird. It's a sweet flying easy to outfit heli.

I went through Helidirect.com in Boston MA.

Goanna
01-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have already looked at the Swift and was considering it but after reading some of the posts here I am now going to look into the ECO-8 and the E-Smart 600.

Sentertainment
02-25-2008, 07:45 AM
I know that ESky isn't well known but it has a large following. I have a small fleet of ESky stuff and went with their 600 class bird. It's a sweet flying easy to outfit heli.

I went through Helidirect.com in Boston MA.

Helidirect has pretty good prices and stuff.
I actually built a heli ordering aftermarket parts and ended up getting 75% of it from the same company that provides for Helidirect.
(I got the 3DX450 one, it has a different frame but still made by the same company)

http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=222&products_id=2793

Blackhawk
02-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I would check out the Gaui Hurricane 550. I ordered one last monday from www.ka-planes.com (http://www.ka-planes.com) and recieved it on wednesday. its one good looking bird! the price was $675.00 ready to fly..

ginnz
02-27-2008, 01:33 AM
My shark 450 is an AWESOME rtf package at $328.00, a real nice flying, solid package....

Sentertainment
02-27-2008, 02:17 AM
My shark 450 is an AWESOME rtf package at $328.00, a real nice flying, solid package....

I've seen them on eBay for 350+50 shipping, but take a look at this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190202052564&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=200202152200&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3 DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D3
2.4Ghz Transmitter, RTF!? That's just nuts. $270+44 shipping

ginnz
02-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Yeah, i seen that one also, thats the same guy i got my shark from.a very good guy to deal with!.I think i was the third guy to buy one from him, then they were at 328.00, he's raised the price a little since then.....and, i almost chose that one first! but i hadnt heard of it before, and never seen a review of it..... maybe ill get one just to see what its all about!

i dunno about the radio though, looks mighty generic.:blah:

hey, maybe you get that thing and let us know whats up with it? ;-)

Sentertainment
02-27-2008, 03:48 AM
I'm tempted, but not ready to buy another heli atm.
I'm thinking of checking out this study program my school is having in China...I keep thinking of what I could bring back if I went, lol.

BTW, I dun care about the controller, I got a DX7...I'm wondering if the Rx will work w/ it. ;)

EDIT:
btw, you should check out the thread in my sig...if you take out the DX7 and AR6100 and sub them for something else...the total would be ALOT less. Not to mention, even get a hacker clone instead of the actual Hacker.

watt_the?!
02-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Everyone :ws: the Century Swift is a nice heli, I bought one, and i need to assemble it :D I have been buying the stuff little at a time, here is a link to it, its a 30 size electric, Take care, Chellie

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/swift/index.htm?currentid=304

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/swift/images/swift-o-matic.jpg
Chellie- i saw the videos of it - stock!!!..wow...is this worth getting?

ive got the QOJ EP16 30 size heli- all metal..its about $350US.

but ive been covetting the swift for some time.

Tim

CHELLIE
02-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Chellie- i saw the videos of it - stock!!!..wow...is this worth getting?

ive got the QOJ EP16 30 size heli- all metal..its about $350US.

but ive been covetting the swift for some time.

Tim

Hi Tim :D I would say Yes, its nice, and its reasonable too, it will make a great trainer, and you may never outgrow it, and parts are cheap too, I finally got all the parts in, so I will be puting this heli together soon, here is a stock cent. heli on 4cells, on the cheap side :DTake care, Chellie

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V0C7n8a0M-A

HeliG
03-08-2008, 05:19 AM
T-rex 450 :ws:

Dennis H
04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I pick up a E-Sky E-Smart 600 w/o motor/electronics On E-bay for $98.00 I been searching around the web for the other things I need it will come around $300. to get it flying, And its STILL cheaper than my T-rexSE 450!

jswigart
04-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I picked up a Kyosho concept 30 for $200 and it is an extremely stable flyer.
Also found a Hirobo shuttle for $100 and love it.

These are older helis but very good flyers. 30 size.

Jay

john339
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
I too went for the Esky 600 and have not regretted it.
Inexpensive and I have learned a lot with it.
Easy to put together too.
Here is a link to a thread about the Esky 600 where they will help you if needed.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714124
Good luck with whatever you choose.
John

darkside212
04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
I've heard good things about the esky 600. I've been thinking about picking one up as well.

duckman
05-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Check out www.fxaeromodels.com (http://www.fxaeromodels.com) and the mikato-logo helis. I have a Logo-10 and it is a very nice heli.

blk822
06-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I have the Gaui Hurricane 550 really nice and can fly on 3s 2200mah batts.http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/blk822/Hurricane550016.jpg

Flip
08-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I started out with one of those little 4 channel 'LAMA 3' from ESky. Something to do while laid up from a motorbike crash. After a couple of weeks the hospital sent me home - some of the visitors didn't like it buzzing around the ward too much :p>
Next week my partner sent me an ESKY Belt CP - good start. :ws:
The next visit she presented me with an ESKY E-Smart - WOW ! :$
I've been up-grading it with CNC parts from 'HeliDirect' - where you can pick up the basic ESKY E-SMART metal/plastic kit from $199 - sometimes cheaper on 'special'. :D
This is the metal frame kit with the motor and main blades etc.
You get everything except the electronics. (which most people like to choose their own brands anyhow)
The kit went together very straight forwards and easily.
The people at 'Helidirect' are GREAT to deal with -questions answered, all parts sent super quick at VERY reasonable postal fees. :ws:

I found the ESKY range to be easy to work with and replacement parts easy to come by - a whole lot cheaper than most any other brand.

The E-Smart is a big, stable bird to learn to fly with, the mains I'm currently using are 520mm F/G units. You can fly them 'stock' or modify them up to your hearts content. :silly:
I've now got 2 complete E-Smarts as part of my fleet - and a flight box full of 'crash kits' - just in case ! ::o
DAMN ! Heli flying is addictive !

Balil
08-10-2008, 06:20 AM
if you want something larger than a 450 Century is coming out w/ a Swift 16 RTF the comes w/ a computerized 2.4ghz radio, 4s1p 2500mah lipo battery, charger, and heli. im going to pick one up as soon as they hit store shelves.

Ohio AV8TOR
08-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Another vote for the Swift. It is by far an underrated helicopter. As mentioned it fly's very well and is actually very stable. The cost of parts was a big plus also. I moved from a T-Rex to it and to be honest I wish I by passed on the Rex. I even went the cheep and heavy route by using Emoli batteries and it still was pretty aerobatic.

quadracer111
08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Copter X! Complete clone of trex 450 but rtf with 2.4ghz tx! http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/index.php?cPath=173_174 in your price range!

Forgot to mention... Its a bit below your price range so you will have money for spare parts! Also its %100 percent compatible with trex parts!

RyuuChi
08-20-2008, 09:31 PM
hdx500 kit is 349 bucks. you'll still need electrics, but it's a good 500 class heli for the money. sold at helidirect.

Balil
08-23-2008, 05:12 AM
gaak have you seen the century RTF? everything looks great except the woodies which i've already got a set of sab 425mm carbons ordered for it ^_^ century needs to get on the ball and start shipping those things out, this blade cp+ is starting to get old...

gwong
10-28-2008, 12:25 AM
It's new and haven't seen a flight report yet but the price is right and comes with the motor and esc.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7902

Cheers,

Gord.

ministeve2003
10-28-2008, 01:05 AM
your in luck, I just purchased that hk500 one from hobbycity thursday ($227.55) , should be in soon, I'll let you know how it runs after my buddy puts it togeather...

I'll skimp and try out these servos for it... since there's already a review of someone using them for a 500.... 3=$59.97 (good thing I ordered before they were out of stock)
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6446

I'll prob be using the 401 gyro and the 9257 servo

this will be the guy that puts it togeather for me... Eran
http://www.vimeo.com/1726748

Ps, I also have the copterx from ehirobo... with hs65's and a 401 w/ 9257 that thing is rock solid... (although I'm a begininer) Eran said his next 450 would definately be a copterx...
SK

gwong
10-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Kewl...I can't wait for a flight report...can you convince your friend to do a build log?

Cheers,

Gord.

ministeve2003
10-28-2008, 07:29 AM
I'll be lucky to have him build it and set it up, he studies like 12hours a day for his MD, But I might be able to go over and take a few pictures...

I couldn't get ahold of him to confirm what tail servo he wanted me to use so I got the 401 with the s9254... hope he doesn't complain.... I finally got to use one of those stupid tower $20 off coupons... Expensive suff, but I know a good gyro and tail servo is worth every penny....
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFZP2&P=FR (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFZP2&P=FR)

ministeve2003
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Well, It arrived, Looks great, Only gripe so far is the case is only for shipping, obviousely it could not hold the heli when its assembled, not a big deal, it makes sure your heli won't get messed up in shipping, plus it can make a good tx or battery case....

I took a picture of how it comes, a pic of the motor next to my zippy 3cell 500mah packs, for size reference... Maybe I should have used a ruler instead... LOL, I also took a closeup of the Head unit which looks good... and feels rock solid, no slop whatsoever...

SK

ministeve2003
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok, I have a little more info...

I did find the OEM manufacture
http://www.kdsmodel.com/xmb/product/AGP_451_href.html

First off... this is not a trex 500 clone, its very similar, and in some ways improved, but the parts are not interchangeable with a trex, so you'll be stuck with other sources for parts... here's the first build impressions

1) it is ovall thinner than the trex
2) the tail boom is thinner... which worries me a little... Eran seems satisfied with it, but I thought I'd mention it...
2.1) tail boom block seems solid, but looks thin...
3) improvements are made to the servo mounts... they look really nice...
4) battery's would not mount the same (I have 2 serial'd one on top, one on bottom, esc mounted underneath the top battery frame, everything was abit ackward...
5) tail assembly screws through the tail boom to the opposite side, this is a very good improvement. Eran said that He's seen the tail's slip off on 500's before, now that is not possible.only issue is if the belt touches the screws, which it doesn't look like a problem, but I thought I'd post it anyways...
6) there is a small piece of plastic that when your canopy slides on, it will slide into a slot perfect, this is nice, but prob will have to be removed when/if you use a dif trex500 canopy

problems we've seen,

1) little kid in china mounted the motor mount upside down, confusing us so we couldn't mount motor for awhile.. we fixed that and motor mounted fine
2) little kid also assembled the main gears backwards, completely backwards... so they wouldn't fit anwhere, this confused us too...
3) we forgot to put the tail strut and tail servo holders on prior to putting the tail togeather (we were too excited) and had to take the tail back off... doah....
4) ministeve read the wrong review of something and bought the wrong servos for collective, these require full size servos (aprox 45gram)

thats all I can think of for the moment...

SK

PS, side note... Eran Gave me some Philipean candy which he said smelled really bad, but tasted good.... and He had my try it... and I threw up... that stuff was nasty... (and he likes it) YUCK!

SK

ministeve2003
11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Ok, Here is some interesting Info.... VERY IMPORTANT, this heli recommends Full Size servos on the page, Be aware, HS225 or similar size servos will not fit... the length is much bigger than 30mm... or 1.26", I will post later what servos I go with...

SK

jf813
12-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Get the copterX black angel or if you want something bigger copterX 500SE. They are well under $500 and they fly really well. Both are all machined aluminum and CF frame. The black angel is really nice, friend of mine have it is so quick in all directions. (really wants one for Christmas hope my wife read this, lol) The 500 is very stable but I like the 450 size better.

ministeve2003
12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Update on HK500... DON"T BUY IT...

Issues...
helicopter will not balance out with a 2200mah 6cell pack... it will hover seem fine, but if you piro this (not even fast) it will pull/fall out backwards very violently because it is extreemly tail heavy... you will need to buy at least a 3300mah 6cell pack (and I don't know which one will fit)

rates are very low, way too low for any 3d flying... I would consider this a sport flyer with inverted capibilitys.... it will definately not fly very well 3d with the weight of the pack that is nessicary to balance it out... plus even at hobbycity prices the cost of a pack would be around $80

Servos are full size... average price of a decent speed/tork servo in that size is $60-$100 haveing 3 of these will be very expensive...

the tail bracket is made for a micro 18gram servo... I used a trex 500 tail holder and a trex 600 tail bracket so that I can use a 401gyro and a 9254 servo ... price of those togeather is $229.... (no I didn't use the cheap stuff here...lol)

the crash was very nasty looking... it slammed out of control sideways and backwards into the ground from about 20ft... all that was broken was an servo arm, ball link clip, main gear, tail brace, main shaft, feathering shaft, and blades... so aprox $15 worth of stuff, plus blades... too bad the heli sucks or that would be a very durable heli....

SK

KiwiRC
01-08-2009, 04:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been watching this thread for some time now, wondering about getting an HK500. I ended up slapping my credit card down, and had it on my doorstep in NZ within 4 days of ordering.

So far, I've been very pleased with it. I'm no 3D pilot, my preference is scale flying, so I haven't pushed it hard at all. I've been flying helicopters since the days of the original Concept 30. Had a couple of Concepts, a Raptor 30, and a Honey Bee FP. The Honey Bee switched me on to electrics, and wanting something larger I went for the HK500. Purely to give it a go and see what it was like. I couldn't justify the price of a Trex 500 to just "see if I liked it".

The heli went together beautifully, no issues whatsoever. Everything was assembled perfectly in the box, and following the diagrams in the manual within a few days on-and-off I had something ready to fly.

This was my first CCPM heli, but nothing was arkward in the build. The Turnigy ESC mounted on the side in front of the motor, Gyro in the usual place aft of the mast, and receiver and receiver NiMh batt up on top above the LiPo battery.

My setup is:

JR DSX9 2.4 Gig Radio
Spektrum AR6200 Receiver
3 x Futaba 9001 on the Swashplate
1 x Futaba 401 Gyro and Digital 9253 (I think that's the number?)

Turnigy Plush 80 amp ESC
4.8v MiMh receiver batt
Zippy 3300 mAh 6S LiPo for motor power

I've got a few comments to make so far:

- A lot of people are saying it's WAY tail heavy, and "won't balance with a 6S LiPo from a Trex 500". News flash - it's not a Trex 500 helicopter! Mine balances perfectly with the Zippy 3300 mAh 6S LiPo, which is about 120 grams heavier than the 2200 mAh batt commonly found in the Trex 500 from what I've read.

- If the heli doesn't balance, balance it!

- It takes standard sized servos beautifully.

- The tail rotor servo bracket will take a standard sized servo. Didn't have any issues there at all.

- The manual is just a series of construction diagrams, so some heli experience will help with the build. If you'd had a couple of helis before, this will be no trouble to put together. The manual included with my heli was perfectly correct for the kitset.

I was a little nervous at the initial hover, bit the heli came straight up off the ground into a most stable and solid hover. Control throws and response seemed at least as good as my Rapter 30, and tail rotor authority is awesome.

Well my batt's just charged, so I'm off out to fly again.

Cheers,

Pete.
Tauranga, New Zealand

ministeve2003
01-08-2009, 04:41 AM
They didn't even balance out with a 2600 6cell pack, which is the most common trex 500 pack... nobody I know flys a trex500 with a 3300pack... it would be extreemly heavy for any 3d flying.... hobbycity and the MFG say it balances with a 2200 6cell pack... which it will absolutely not... not even close.... it will pull out of a piro vilolently backwards...

If anyone wants them... I have 2 of them
One has a couple parts broken from a crash... servo arm, ball link clip, main gear, tail brace, main shaft, feathering shaft, and blades.... but I have all the replacement parts (except the blades) plus a bunch of extra parts... about $75 worth of extra stuff I got for them on himodel...

the second one is still new in the box...

I'll sell all of it for $300...

I'll even include a set (3) of the collective servos I bought for it...
http://www.f1hobbies.com/shop.php?id=822

SK

KiwiRC
01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Hi Ministeve,

Out of interest, what's the weight of a standard Trex 500 6S battery?

The Zippy 6S 3300 mAh I'm using in my HK500 weighs 430 grams, how does that compare?

The all up weight of my HK500 is almost exactly 2,000 grams, do you know how that compares to a standard Trex 500?

Cheers,

Pete.

ministeve2003
01-13-2009, 03:54 AM
Acording to the Specs for that Zippy battery your battery weight is 530 grams
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6419

the spec weight of a 2600 align 25c battery is 418grams... But... Quite a few people flying 3d, fly with 6cell 2100-2200 packs...283-327g, a total difference of 8.3 oz between the light packs and the 3300...

SK

so it would be about 3.5 oz above the "heavy" pack, and nearly double the weight of the light "3d" battery...

Flying weight of a trex is around 1500-1700grams AUW so it would appear that it can be as much as 10.5 oz to 17oz lighter than the hk500

SK

ministeve2003
01-13-2009, 03:58 AM
Hi Ministeve,

Out of interest, what's the weight of a standard Trex 500 6S battery?

The Zippy 6S 3300 mAh I'm using in my HK500 weighs 430 grams, how does that compare?

The all up weight of my HK500 is almost exactly 2,000 grams, do you know how that compares to a standard Trex 500?

Cheers,

Pete.

What I would like to know is how long your getting on flying time....in idle up.... and is your idle setting like 100-80-100 or higher?

SK

KiwiRC
01-13-2009, 04:07 AM
I stand corrected!

Just re-weighed my Zippy pack, and I must have mis-read the scales first time round. It is 525 grams.

I don't use idle up, since I just like scale flying around the park. I guess I'm getting 10 minutes or so out of the Zippy pack.

Seems like the HK500 is going to come in around 300 grams heavier than the Trex.

ministeve2003
01-13-2009, 04:29 AM
one other thing to note... I purchased a trex500CF kit with motor and esc for $300 new...(sale) at flying-hobby.com... that would be around the same price as the hk500 kit with esc....

SK

ministeve2003
01-13-2009, 04:34 AM
I stand corrected!

Just re-weighed my Zippy pack, and I must have mis-read the scales first time round. It is 525 grams.

I don't use idle up, since I just like scale flying around the park. I guess I'm getting 10 minutes or so out of the Zippy pack.

Seems like the HK500 is going to come in around 300 grams heavier than the Trex.

My buddy taught me that you always fly in idle up... otherwise the tail can get away from you... of course this isnt that important if your just flying easy with it....

when I tryed it...on the 2200 6cell pack I got about 2 1/2 minutes flight time on the hk500... so I'm going to assume around 41/2 minutes on the 3300....

SK

ministeve2003
01-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok, I figure what the heck... I've got too much invested in this thing anyways... so I just bought a 3300pack... I'll re-setup this heli again, and find out what it flys like on that pack... This time I'll be sure to check balance.... I noticed a few remarks on that pack from trex500 owners... so I'm not sure how it would balance on a trex, but I'll prob use it on that too for sport flying...

SK

KiwiRC
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Yep you're right, they're raving about the 3300 Zippy pack in the Trex.

I'll be interested to know how you get on. Unfortunately my only 6S pack has gone faulty on me after only 2 charges (my iCharger is saying "Connection Break Down" every time I try to charge it), so it's on the way back to Hobby City.

I've got another 6S pack in the mail this week, so I'll be able to give it a good thrash once that arrives.

Let's compare notes later.

Cheers, Pete.

ministeve2003
01-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Well, We finally got my 500 done... we lowered the battery tray 9mm to allow for the battery.... but strangly enought... it balanced perfect... I'll let you know how it flys after the rain lets up...

after I get this flying I'll try to get the HK500 back togeather so I can test it with the same pack... I really don't thing the weight is going to be that bad.... (my buddy's pretty sceptical though...LOL

SK

KiwiRC
03-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Hey Ministeve,

How'd you ever get on with your HK500? Did you get it flying again?

I've put a few flights on mine so far. I'm enjoying, but the mass of spinning metal parts is still intimidating me, so I'm not flying it like my HK450 yet.

After messing with my throttle curve I've got the throttle at about 65%/70% at half stick, and it's flying nice and smooth and stable. The hover is very stable, and I'm tempted to put in a few clicks of forward elevator for normal flight, as it tends to slow up and want to hover if you're flying slowly.

I'm also going to dial in a bit of expo to soften it up around centre stick, as the response is very quick and jerky around centre at the moment.

Once I've smoothed it out a bit I'll try and get into some circuits.

All in all though, I'm enjoying it so far.

One other thing I'd be interested to hear from you, I've also got a Trex 500 Super Pro kit in still in the box, and I'm wondering whether to make it up or not, so I'd be interested in your comments on the HK500 versus the Trex 500. The cost of parts on the HK500 is less than the Trex 500 in NZ, so I'm keen to stick with the HK if the handling for scale flying isn't going to be amazingly better with the Trex 500.

Cheers,

Pete.

ministeve2003
03-23-2009, 05:48 AM
unfortunately I haven't got that put back togeather.... so I can't give an opinion on the differences.... (and since I'm a beginner anyways I prob still couldn't really give a good opinion on it)

I did manage to put the trex500 togeather (rather Expensive) and after it was test flown, I know it's got some serious power with the scorpion motor on it.... It's basically setup with the best stuff I could find (including a spartan gyro... unfortunately I did a goof, and used throttle cut then went back on without changing my idle setting, and stripped the main gear, so I'll have to change that out (should take a few minutes)

I still have both hk500 kits and lots of spare parts for them, If anyones interested, I would be willing to sell all of it for around $300 including shipping... one of them was crashed (due to CG problem), and broke a couple things, like main blades, flybar rod... but nothing major, and I believe I have all the spare parts to replace them.... (execept blades which I think are low quality anyways and one of the cases which I gave away)

SK

ministeve2003
03-23-2009, 05:49 AM
If anyones interested, I'll get my spare parts stuff togeather and list everything...

SK

PaperAirplane
01-06-2010, 11:14 PM
why did you delete all of your posts ministeve?

sorry to be nosy, but I wanted to hear what you had to say?

ministeve2003
01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Sorry, Reinserted them...

I sold the kits due to lack of funds to put them back togeather, and the fact that they stopped selling parts on HK, there are souces for the parts, but since I already have 1 500 size heli flying, I thought it was best to stick with it...

SK

ministeve2003
01-06-2010, 11:34 PM
the HK500 kit that I had was the older model it was the KDS 500 II version... the kit looked good, and the parts in my opinion looked alot better than the align stuff, However finding canopy's would be a pain as 500 sized ones would need to be modified to fit...

SK

ministeve2003
01-06-2010, 11:43 PM
after I fixed the main gear on my trex, the esc went' out and it sat for about 4 months... I finally got it fixed up and have put around 25 flights on it... (I have not crashed it yet)

Here's the newest video I have of flying the trex500...
http://www.vimeo.com/8521353

eventually my buddy who bought those heli's will get them back togeather and I'll prob take the sticks and check them out... but untill then, I won't know the differences in how they will fly...

also... I'm using $55 Mks digital servos on collective, and a futaba 9254 tail servo and spartan gyro... and I don't think that his setup will be as hi-end, so We'll have to see how that effects it too....

SK

ministeve2003
01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I think initally I was just pissed off that the 500 wouldn't ballance out with the bogus spec's that it had... I bought a 3300mah pack for my trex, but that battery sat for 4-5 months charged, and started feelling like poo... so I got some 2650 20c turnigy packs that I'm flying now, and they seem great...

SK

Goanna
01-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Been a while since I started this thread.

Just wanted to check in and see if any other new Large Scale models are out and about?

Is it still worth looking for an e-sky esmart 600? Any newcomers to the game in the last year? Even something RTF or BNF that's a bit bigger then a blade 400 is such a beast exists.

I finally got a DX7 for my Micros, my CP and my CX2, so that's one less thing I'll have to buy to do large scale :).

Goanna
01-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Just came accross this in my searches.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1874.html

Anyone familiar with it? It's the Rogue 500 3D by BlitzRCWorks.

CHELLIE
01-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Just came accross this in my searches.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1874.html

Anyone familiar with it? It's the Rogue 500 3D by BlitzRCWorks.

Beware of Banana Hobby, buy the heli somewhere else IMHO

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51108&highlight=banana+hobby

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50170&highlight=banana+hobby

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50152&highlight=banana+hobby

ministeve2003
01-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Blitzrcworks, is just BH's lable... the heli is made by someone else...

.................................................. .............................

The Esmart 600 everyone seemed to like, but parts availiblity sucks, so It's generally a no-go...

The trex500 knockoffs look good like the exi from xheli...

SK

Goanna
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Ah, thanks for the info. Watching all their videos on Youtube, Banana Hobby was starting to look pretty cool to me. I probably would have wound up ordering.

Anyone happen to know who really makes the Blitz Heli's? Is it like a Re-Branded Walkera or other misc import brand?

So with the e-smart out due to bad parts availability, and this one most likely out of the line up as well, what other larger, somewhat inexpensive Helicopters are out there now?

ministeve2003
01-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Ah, thanks for the info. Watching all their videos on Youtube, Banana Hobby was starting to look pretty cool to me. I probably would have wound up ordering.

Anyone happen to know who really makes the Blitz Heli's? Is it like a Re-Branded Walkera or other misc import brand?

So with the e-smart out due to bad parts availability, and this one most likely out of the line up as well, what other larger, somewhat inexpensive Helicopters are out there now?

There are a handfull of knockoff trex 500's ... I was told that the HK600 (hobbyking) would be out soon...

SK

Goanna
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
There are a handfull of knockoff trex 500's ... I was told that the HK600 (hobbyking) would be out soon...

SK
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Do the knock off's generally accept Authentic ALIGN replacement parts, or do they usually have their own line of replacements? If they use Align/Trex parts that makes things alot easier since most LHS's carry those.

ministeve2003
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
From my experiance dealing with the exi450, and the HK250 and a real trex250 and trex500, I'd say yes, the parts are mostly interchangeable... some minor exceptions would be like the 250, if you change the pitch slider, you have to change the little arms and the blade grips... otherwise it doesn't line up propper... you could change the whole tail out to microheli one, which is what I did on my real trex, because the align blade grips are junk... also need to do that on my real trex500... because it has the same type of sloppy grips..

I changed my exi50's swash, mainshaft, featheringshaft, to an align ones.... (and now I wish I had went to the microheli swash cause I don't like align parts)

some things are better on the knockoff kits, like the 500's have a metal boom block, but the stock one won't fit due to 2 new holes (the metal one is better anyways) in the frame where the block was key'd to that part... you won't have any trouble changing frames or anything later either (Knockoff frames are much cheaper too)

SK

Goanna
01-13-2010, 05:02 AM
I started looking at the HK 500 kits now, and I really cant beleive how low the prices are. I think I may give that a try, especially since most of the parts can be exchanged for Align parts.

How are these other items though, the off brand Motors, Servos, etc, etc?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9975&Product_Name=HK-500GT_3D_Electric_Helicopter_Kit__%28incl._blades_ and_extras%29

Like this for example, a Motor for $25? And the reviews on the site say it works great.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9258

If I were to go with the recommended parts on that page, I could have everything I need, minus the Receiver and servos for under $250, and that includes two batteries!

With a spektrum receiver, servos, and maybe the actual Align Swashplate (since reviews said the swash is the only downfall of that HK-500 kit) it would still be under $500 for everything.

CHELLIE
01-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I started looking at the HK 500 kits now, and I really cant beleive how low the prices are. I think I may give that a try, especially since most of the parts can be exchanged for Align parts.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9975&Product_Name=HK-500GT_3D_Electric_Helicopter_Kit__%28incl._blades_ and_extras%29

Like this for example, a Motor for $25? And the reviews on the site say it works great.

If I were to go with the recommended parts on that page, I could have everything I need, minus the Receiver and servos for under $250, and that includes two batteries!

With a spektrum receiver, servos, and maybe the actual Align Swashplate (since reviews said the swash is the only downfall of that HK-500 kit) it would still be under $500 for everything.

Hi Goanna :ws: you have the right person helping you, Ministeve, he is sharp with Helis, Steve is in my Rc Club, and helps me do my maiden flights on my aircrafts, I have seen Steves inexpensive but Awesome HK Heli creations flying, and they will do it all, Take care, Chellie

ministeve2003
01-15-2010, 06:13 AM

Be sure to get some CF frames.. it'll handle alot better in a crash.... might save you from ripped wires...etc...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10143&Product_Name=HK-500GT_Carbon_Fiber_Main_Frame_(Align_part_&aff=12415

another good way to spend a couple extra bucks would be the metal tail upgrade...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9791&Product_Name=HK-500GT_Alloy_tail_rotor_grip_(Align_part_&aff=12415

SK

ministeve2003
01-15-2010, 06:17 AM
as far as servo's... your better off buying some hitec hs82mg servos for cyclic, and a futaba 9257 servo for the tail....

also.. here's the 82 servo arms, you'll need them to get full travel..
http://www.helidirect.com/align-82mg-servo-hornlong-h5010-for-hitech-mini-servos-p-7801.hdx

SK

Goanna
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all the info Steve.

I did read the reviews on the servos saying to buy the futaba/dubro arms. Thanks for the recommendations on which servos to buy though.

With the HK 500GT, do you think it's necessary to use an Align Swash instead of the HK supplied one, or was that mainly an issue with the HK-T500 and the original HK-500?

Do you happen to know how long orders usually take when placed directly with HK? Are they based in the US or would it be coming from overseas? Seems like they have phone numbers in several countries.

ministeve2003
01-17-2010, 01:39 AM
With the HK 500GT, do you think it's necessary to use an Align Swash instead of the HK supplied one, or was that mainly an issue with the HK-T500 and the original HK-500?

I don't know... I'd think they've fixed it with the gt version... My stock "real" align one the bearing cover fell off after about 10 flights... so I don't really think much of "stock" parts...LOL

Do you happen to know how long orders usually take when placed directly with HK? Are they based in the US or would it be coming from overseas? Seems like they have phone numbers in several countries.

It usually takes anywhere from 3 to 14 days depending on which option you go with... I've had "airmail" (cheapest) take 3 days, and ems (better) take as long as 14.. the only thing I see with ems (better) is that they tend to ship your stuff out sooner...

SK

Goanna
01-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't know... I'd think they've fixed it with the gt version... My stock "real" align one the bearing cover fell off after about 10 flights... so I don't really think much of "stock" parts...LOL

It usually takes anywhere from 3 to 14 days depending on which option you go with... I've had "airmail" (cheapest) take 3 days, and ems (better) take as long as 14.. the only thing I see with ems (better) is that they tend to ship your stuff out sooner...

SK

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Reading the reviews again, it did seem like the swash was mentioned on the regular hk500 kit, not the GT.

I'll probably just stick with the swash that comes with the GT kit then and see how that goes.

ministeve2003
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I got to see a buddy's Gt version Last weekend, it looks very good. I don't know for sure, but I think their frames looked slightly thicker... (which is always a good thing.)

I've heard that changing the balls and links on the head can improve it... but it should be ok without it...

The swash does look a little cheasy, but I'm still not convinced to change it to an Align one... maybe a microheli one would be nice...

Sk

Goanna
02-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Well, for the time being I decided to go with an HK450. A member here has one for sale with everything but a battery and receiver, never flown, so I figured I would give it a shot. I also ordered a couple of Lipo's and a second HK450V2 kit from hobbyking just so I have spare parts.

I figured I'll go this route for now, because with the HK600 around the corner, I'd rather wait and go for that (after it comes out and gets some reviews) but for now a 450 size should still be a nice step up from the small scale stuff I have now (mcx, msr, mcx tandem and cx2).

anton831
05-11-2011, 02:11 AM
anyone tried a flybarless system on the 500