PDA

View Full Version : The clouds broke my poor little airplane!

babyflitestreak
01-03-2008, 05:09 AM
The year was 1994 and it was a nice sunny day with the fluffy white clouds. My cousin, dad, and I were out to fly our planes. That day I took my Super Sniffer. It was 2 channel, rudder and throttle, powered by a Cox Texaco .049 (never came with a throttle stock...used the throttle ring from another Cox engine). It was my turn to fly so I got the engine cranked up and adjusted. Launched the model and proceeded to climb out. A few minutes into the flight and it was caught by a rather strong thermal which carried it up like an elevator. It was tiny dot in the sky before I realized what was happening. Dad said "Spiral it down...hurry!" ...so I did. What happened? A few seconds into the spiraling that mean ol' cloud reached out and broke the wing in half! The rest of the model slammed into concrete at what looked like 80mph. The gas tank was smashed flat as a pancake, crankshaft was broken. The entire radio set broke loose and ejected itself 10 feet away from where the model crashed, which was only about 12 inches from my feet! :eek: ..and I thought I had moved away from the crash path. Believe it or not the radio set actually survived that just fine, no broken crystals or anything.
...and we never located that other wing half.
I learned a couple of things from this...
1) You can never judge where a broken model is going to strike the earth when coming from high altitude.
2) In model like this which catches thermals easily...always always always make sure the upper spar of the wing is spruce (or capped with 1/8" spruce) on the center section of the wing.

The Super Sniffer (pic from BMJR's website)
http://www.bmjrmodels.com/images/big/B-602.jpg

The Cox Texaco (included for those who aren't familiar with these engines). Taken from a German modeler's site on Cox engines.
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/images/cox_texaco_2.jpg

panzerd18
01-03-2008, 12:34 PM
R.I.P Super Sniffer & Cox Texaco .049

Gnascher
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
That's a neat lookin' motor. Where's the power wires go? :silly:

Airhead
01-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Hmmmmmm........:Q

babyflitestreak
01-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Hooked up to the glo head to light up the element inside! :Q:silly:haha ..while starting the engine.

pvtzemerak
01-10-2008, 01:49 AM
ouch!