PDA

View Full Version : Where's Steve Neill?

easytiger
12-09-2005, 02:58 AM
Would be great to see him here!

Twmaster
12-09-2005, 03:09 AM
Oh wow. Now there is a name I have not seen in many moons.

U812
12-09-2005, 05:24 AM
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I left E Zone. Told Jim where to stick it. I also took away with me many of the truly gifted from the submarine forum. It is now a ghost town of un talent and 19 dollar Wal-mart toy submarines. Well...almost.

As for jets. Well the forum is mostly full of kit builds. Little scratch building (there is some though).

Let me make one thing clear here. Like Curtis I speak my mind. It is one of the most American things you can do. Rt or left, red or blue I get along with both if I can have respect for them. Curtis I do. You got to love him because you'll always know where you stand with him. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. I respect those who use it more than those that don't.
I will not be dummed down.

And it's not always personal or hopeless. Anyone can learn something no matter what they think they know. I'm certainly guilty of that as we all have been at one time or the other.

Curtis would yell at me and call me names. Tell me to get off the sell pity trip when I had a bad day. Basically knock it off you jerk. Now on E Zone many would always take it the wrong way. I found such a personal touch comforting because only a friend can talk to you that way. Besides it shook me up like a good slap in the face and I was back on track again. But others would attack Curtis not knowing what really he was trying to do. This leads to food fights and abuse.

All I do here is post my work and share what I know with others wanting to learn something and enjoy the hobby. That's a rush for me to see people out there having fun and enjoying what they learned from you. And they will do the same passing it on and on to others. This is the best way to make a mark on the world before you buy that damn pine box. It's what you take with you.

I am working with Barry Macdonald on a Vampire project. 90 mm. For retracts. Glass fuse, booms and sheeted wing panels from mid point out. Damn he's good. He's the man that helped design and work on the tools for my big 90mm TA-183. What a project that was. Took us a year and the help of John Wright at Wren to getting flying as well as it goes now.

The Vampire however will not play tricks on us as it did the Huck. It's very conventional. BTW Wren is flying one of my Hucks with there Wrem 44 that John Wright built from my kit. It's a site to behold.

Anyway getting back to the Vampire. It has all the panel lines and rivets. Very scale and Barry did it all this time and an excellent job too. He's just about to make the molds now that the plugs are nearly done and I will start a thread here when I get my dirty hands on the first one.

I always prefer the vintage birds and subs. In fact anything WW2. It's my passion.

Curtis you need to see the WW2 XVIIB I just did from scratch. You'll dig it being a man of good taste. How's that Healey?

Steve

watt_the?!
12-09-2005, 06:16 AM
welcome steve...good to have you here...i like the ''say it like it is'' approach...no one gets banned for that,..but for everyone's benefit, WF doesnt tolerate the almost daily heated arguments that seemed to flare at the other sites either...which i think is good. we'll generally pm and advise before pulling the rug out so theres a chance to re write if anyone chooses.

please spoil us with your wares!

Tim.

U812
12-09-2005, 06:24 AM
Tim,

thanks a bunch. Watt a great welcome. Don't worry if I have any real trouble I tell you about it first. However I just plan to post my projects and help others. That's it.

You know technically subs fly under water. LOL! It would be nice if you had a sub section here. I do both. scratched submarines and RC jets. the best of both worlds.

Thanks again Tim!

Steve

watt_the?!
12-09-2005, 06:50 AM
i love subs too...ive got me a marblehead and ten rater though to get me on the water...

U812
12-09-2005, 07:02 AM
I built 7 subs this year. 5 kits and two scratch builds. I get to take a ride for three 4 days and three nights on the USS Miami early next year. Man what a rush that will be. Every since my dad worked at Mare on the Skipjack and the Washington I've been wanting to do this.

BTW one of my scratch builds was the Washington. I'm reluctant to post pictures here though being that this is the jet forum.

If anyone wants to see them I can always email them to you. I also have a web site but it's missing the finished Washington and the video for it. I need to do more work on the site but I haven't had the time. Boy I miss being able to afford a web master.

I also have links to all my sub test trial videos I have made. I'm hoping next week to launch my own forum for subs subpirates.com they will be all kinds of neat stuff there.

Glad you like those sneaky boats too Tim!

Steve

Here's my site: www.sneill.com

easytiger
12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I left E Zone. Told Jim where to stick it. I also took away with me many of the truly gifted from the submarine forum. It is now a ghost town of un talent and 19 dollar Wal-mart toy submarines. Well...almost.

As for jets. Well the forum is mostly full of kit builds. Little scratch building (there is some though).

Let me make one thing clear here. Like Curtis I speak my mind. It is one of the most American things you can do. Rt or left, red or blue I get along with both if I can have respect for them. Curtis I do. You got to love him because you'll always know where you stand with him. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. I respect those who use it more than those that don't.
I will not be dummed down.

And it's not always personal or hopeless. Anyone can learn something no matter what they think they know. I'm certainly guilty of that as we all have been at one time or the other.

Curtis would yell at me and call me names. Tell me to get off the sell pity trip when I had a bad day. Basically knock it off you jerk. Now on E Zone many would always take it the wrong way. I found such a personal touch comforting because only a friend can talk to you that way. Besides it shook me up like a good slap in the face and I was back on track again. But others would attack Curtis not knowing what really he was trying to do. This leads to food fights and abuse.

All I do here is post my work and share what I know with others wanting to learn something and enjoy the hobby. That's a rush for me to see people out there having fun and enjoying what they learned from you. And they will do the same passing it on and on to others. This is the best way to make a mark on the world before you buy that damn pine box. It's what you take with you.

I am working with Barry Macdonald on a Vampire project. 90 mm. For retracts. Glass fuse, booms and sheeted wing panels from mid point out. Damn he's good. He's the man that helped design and work on the tools for my big 90mm TA-183. What a project that was. Took us a year and the help of John Wright at Wren to getting flying as well as it goes now.

The Vampire however will not play tricks on us as it did the Huck. It's very conventional. BTW Wren is flying one of my Hucks with there Wrem 44 that John Wright built from my kit. It's a site to behold.

Anyway getting back to the Vampire. It has all the panel lines and rivets. Very scale and Barry did it all this time and an excellent job too. He's just about to make the molds now that the plugs are nearly done and I will start a thread here when I get my dirty hands on the first one.

I always prefer the vintage birds and subs. In fact anything WW2. It's my passion.

Curtis you need to see the WW2 XVIIB I just did from scratch. You'll dig it being a man of good taste. How's that Healey?

Steve

I won't be going back to RGgroups, I don't like the atmosphere there at all, I don't think they treat people fairly(including me) and it's just become so AMATEURISH...I mean, really simplistic stuff. Not that there are not some great people there, but I would like to see them move someplace else! The "points" system is pathetic.

The Healey is at the moment buried underneath a big stack of model airplanes, right now I am working on a 62 Morgan! Even cooler!

Start a thread about the Vampire! I have built two Vampires...I forewarn you they are almost always tailheavy...careful engineering to keep the tail light will make a dramatic difference in noseweight. Unless you have pounds of nicads in the snout anyway...

I am not sure what my major winter project will be this winter, I have a big ARF F-15 on the way, but I am thinking about doing the Chris Golds Supermarine Swift for MW-44 power. Not doing as much modelling as usual, too many other things going on...

Never built a sub. Plenty of ships, though. Have been thinking about doing one of the small Revell Gato conversions, if I could find the magazine article.

U812
12-09-2005, 08:13 PM
I will Curtis soon. I have a lot of pictures of the plugs Barry mad I can post but today I woke up with an abscess in my gum in the upper back molars. Very painful and of course my dentist is closed Fri. He gave me a script for penicillin and pain pills. He says that will take a day to work. I hope so this is just awful. Long wait until Monday and a lsot weekend if not. No building today.

Hey Revell is coming out with a 1/72 Gato. Do the math. You'll have a lot more fun with that size. If you need any help let me know. Must go and lie down now.

Steve

Mike Parsons
12-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Good to see you here Steve. Without sparking too much more conversation about other site: I did see your post in SSC and tried to find an email address to invite you here which proved fruitless. I am glad that you found us. I have followed your work from model airplanes to your FX works. I first got interested in the Wattage F22 due to watching yours fly. Again, I am pleased to see you here and look forward to your future contributions as I have the ones in the past.

-Mike

U812
12-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Mike,

Thanks so much. This seems like a nice place to be and a lot of the RC Groups folks seem to be leaving and coming here.

I'm not use to being treated so well by the mods or the admins. But after all you guys are just fun loving builders and flyers like myself so it doesn't surprize me.

I should start the Vampire thread next week after I talk to Barry. What started a simple project to make a foam fuse sheeted with balsa Barry has turned into a almost fully glassed bird. He is so inspired he couldn't help himself after all we learned together on the famous trouble maker, the TA-183. Which BTW is the most easy plane now to fly in my fleet!

Steve

easytiger
12-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I will Curtis soon. I have a lot of pictures of the plugs Barry mad I can post but today I woke up with an abscess in my gum in the upper back molars. Very painful and of course my dentist is closed Fri. He gave me a script for penicillin and pain pills. He says that will take a day to work. I hope so this is just awful. Long wait until Monday and a lsot weekend if not. No building today.

Hey Revell is coming out with a 1/72 Gato. Do the math. You'll have a lot more fun with that size. If you need any help let me know. Must go and lie down now.

Steve

I once pulled my friend Hopper's tooth with pliers, on a houseboat in Key West. We had found a stolen medical kit in a mangrove swamp, and I gave him xylocaine injections and we pulled the tooth. We had NO money, no access to any healthcare at all, and we just did what we had to do, because the tooth was so painful, so debilitating, that there was nothing else to be done. It all worked out. True story!
Go find another dentist who is open on the weekend, pay cash, and get it done with!
I guess the larger sub would be eminently more PRACTICAL, but I love the mini-ships, I have converted a lot of plastic models, using servo drive, and there is just something so cool about them...
I did build a sub last year, I forgot. One of those japanese kits, the I-401, with the automatic surfacing and diving system, free running. Never got around to testing it out...

The "other website", RCG, is something of a taboo subject here, the mods here decided they did not want people whining about RCG all the time, so be forewarned of that. Me, I think it's okay for people to vent, but I'm over it, myself, and I do see the mods' point about "where does THAT end..."

U812
12-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Got it Curtis. Thanks for the advise. All I want is a peaceful experience here.

My dentist is the best. Been going to him for years. So far so good. the pain pills are helping and the penicillin is starting to work. It's not a bad tooth rather an infection because so forien matter got lodged in my gums. Teeth are fine.

I feel a bit hi from the pain pills though, Better that way though. I'm noy a big fan of pills and didn't want to take them but now I'm glad I did.

thanks buddy,

Steve

P.S. I'm getting a large Koryu jap mini sub. you should see this boat. It was made by a German builder and well you get the picture. Send me an email if you want to see some of this stuff. You'll love it.

easytiger
12-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Vice grips! Not good on nuts, great on teeth! Go for it!

The Koryu...the "ocean shaking dragon!"

U812
12-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Curtis the tooth is fine. What I need to do is pop the gum and release all the bad stuff. I tried and they could here me three blocks away.

So that's what it means. Thanks. you'll love this boat!

steve

easytiger
12-10-2005, 01:26 AM
http://www.jetarrows.com/vampire/page.phtml?go=spec&lg=en

Just found this vampire...looks nice, but pricey...

Pop the abcess already! Get it over with!

U812
12-10-2005, 01:42 AM
Curtis thanks for the link. I'll put some pictures up of Barry's work tonight.

The link really got my juices going. Can't wait to build this Vampire. After the Huck this one will be a breeze and yes I'm using 16 GP 3300's up front to help with that CG issue which of course your right about as usual.

I built a smaller one I still have a few years ago. Same deal and the thing flies on rails as they wold say! Just a delightful bird to fly with no vices.

She will have a nice set of retracts too. Already have everything including the RX to build this bird. 90 mm and with any luck she will come in at 6 pounds. sound good?

Steve

easytiger
12-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Curtis thanks for the link. I'll put some pictures up of Barry's work tonight.

The link really got my juices going. Can't wait to build this Vampire. After the Huck this one will be a breeze and yes I'm using 16 GP 3300's up front to help with that CG issue which of course your right about as usual.

I built a smaller one I still have a few years ago. Same deal and the thing flies on rails as they wold say! Just a delightful bird to fly with no vices.

She will have a nice set of retracts too. Already have everything including the RX to build this bird. 90 mm and with any luck she will come in at 6 pounds. sound good?

Steve

I think most will want lipoly, and will end up needing noseweight without nicads unless you really pay strict attention to tailweight.
I did the Aeronaut one(did not like it, really out of scale), the Ralph Salidivar plans one(cool, 59" or so) and have the big Mick Reeves kit somewhere around here.
You know...yours could be a real hit for MW44 power...

easytiger
12-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Friend of mine knows a guy with a full scale one, right now it's too cold to go and look at it, but in the spring I will check it out. The sucker is a dehavilland...most of the fuse is actually WOOD.

U812
12-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Wow. Didn't know that. This one Barry had done is very scale except the outlet is a bit larger. Has to be. But other than that it's just great. He sent me some pictures just a few minutes ago and it's just great. He's starting the molding process. Lucky the epoxy doesn't effect him.

With me outside with a mask, gloves and fresh air blowing all around after one lay up I start to feel bad. So it's over for sure. I got a great 1/32 type 23 U-boat from my friend Darrin he made up himself. All vacuum formed. It's so good I just have to try a plane next year and see if I can get it light enough and strong enough. I plan to use lexan You can beat poly carb. Literally!

Barry and I don't plan to make this Vampire available. Barry says if he has start making and selling kits it ruins the hobby for him. Smart man really.

But there's always the chance they my go to EAM. I'm sure Dave would want them. I certainly can't afford my health to make a few kits.

Also Curtis I've started subpirates.com The forum will be up soon. This will be a site for the cream of the crop in RC subs to show there projects, pictures and videos without the hassles we had at that other place.

You'll notice that since we all walked out the forum is about Wal-Mart subs again. So be it. Mostly anyway. Plus it's back to less than a post a day.

I hope that you will join us there or anyone else that like subs. I feel that Tim won't mind saying so here as my forum has no conflict with Watt Flyer as it is a sub only forum. If he does I'll be happy to edit my post. No problem here.

Steve

Mike Parsons
12-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Mike,

Thanks so much. This seems like a nice place to be and a lot of the RC Groups folks seem to be leaving and coming here.

I'm not use to being treated so well by the mods or the admins. But after all you guys are just fun loving builders and flyers like myself so it doesn't surprize me.

Steve

Your most welcome. We are here because of you guys, so thanks for hanging with us ;)

If no one objects, I am going to slide this thread over into offtopic chat since we are all getting reacquainted. :)

-Mike

easytiger
12-10-2005, 04:28 AM
Wow. Didn't know that. This one Barry had done is very scale except the outlet is a bit larger. Has to be. But other than that it's just great. He sent me some pictures just a few minutes ago and it's just great. He's starting the molding process. Lucky the epoxy doesn't effect him.

With me outside with a mask, gloves and fresh air blowing all around after one lay up I start to feel bad. So it's over for sure. I got a great 1/32 type 23 U-boat from my friend Darrin he made up himself. All vacuum formed. It's so good I just have to try a plane next year and see if I can get it light enough and strong enough. I plan to use lexan You can beat poly carb. Literally!

Barry and I don't plan to make this Vampire available. Barry says if he has start making and selling kits it ruins the hobby for him. Smart man really.

But there's always the chance they my go to EAM. I'm sure Dave would want them. I certainly can't afford my health to make a few kits.

Also Curtis I've started subpirates.com The forum will be up soon. This will be a site for the cream of the crop in RC subs to show there projects, pictures and videos without the hassles we had at that other place.

You'll notice that since we all walked out the forum is about Wal-Mart subs again. So be it. Mostly anyway. Plus it's back to less than a post a day.

I hope that you will join us there or anyone else that like subs. I feel that Tim won't mind saying so here as my forum has no conflict with Watt Flyer as it is a sub only forum. If he does I'll be happy to edit my post. No problem here.

Steve

I was just looking at the insanely clever models at edfmodel.com, vacuform has a lot to be said for it.
Yep, stay away from the glass altogether.
Bob Parks was telling me about a guy who was SO sensitized to glass that he received an ENVELOPE that had been in a composite shop and he got sick and had to have his house decontaminated!

Barry is totally right about modelling and manufacturing and money. Too many guys lose their taste for the hobby after making it a business.

The inlets on a vampire are pretty okay, and easy to make larger without looking funny, but the outlet, yes, is small, except for turbine. IF you want it scale looking. Most vampire models don't get small enough at the butt end of the fuse because of this, and it really changes the look.
Grumania models has a really nice Vixen, but that's a very different animal. Still cool, but I like the really early, clean, small vampire the best...

U812
12-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Yes I agree Curtis. There is a lot to be said for it. Not to mention no mess.
I think you'll finsed our inlets just about right. Go take a look at the tread I just started. It will explain it all better. And the way Barry did this plane a vacuum formed versio could be done.

I love the Vixen. I also agree that a Wren 44 would be the ticket for this plan as it was for my Huck. you should see it fly with that turbine. What a site and sound. Maybe Barry will make on of these up for John Wright. John did a great job with my Huck.

Steve

U812
12-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Guys I just saw the Thread that Curtis started and wanted to post but it was already closed. Please lets not have a repeat of what happened at RCG.

I wanted to offer a little insite about Mr. Lin in support of Easytiger.

I had a thread there a few years back where I was making a plane I planned to kit and sell. To make a long story short he Lin came into my thread and started pushing his plane saying something to the effect of, " Wouldn't you guys rather have a nice GWS version of this plane". Enough said? No. Not quite. He did this in other threads where people were trying to make a kit.

Well that was enough for me.

Good to see Randy over here. A damn nice fellow and a big help to me in the past. Support him. He has some very nice products and you'll get good support from him always.

Ok enough of that before I get into trouble. Gee I'm not shell shocked from RCG! LOL!

Steve

ParkJetsFlyer
12-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Does RC Universe have a Subs Forum?

easytiger
12-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Yes I agree Curtis. There is a lot to be said for it. Not to mention no mess.
I think you'll finsed our inlets just about right. Go take a look at the tread I just started. It will explain it all better. And the way Barry did this plane a vacuum formed versio could be done.

I love the Vixen. I also agree that a Wren 44 would be the ticket for this plan as it was for my Huck. you should see it fly with that turbine. What a site and sound. Maybe Barry will make on of these up for John Wright. John did a great job with my Huck.

Steve

Vacuform is not new...I have vacuform flying models dating back to the fifties. Never really caught on, though.
I think edfmodel.com is showing the way toward something really innovative, though. Very interesting...
I am going to get a MW44 for my next big hobby purchase...a turbine that will fit in the car on one piece is a big attraction...

easytiger
12-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Guys I just saw the Thread that Curtis started and wanted to post but it was already closed. Please lets not have a repeat of what happened at RCG.

I wanted to offer a little insite about Mr. Lin in support of Easytiger.

I had a thread there a few years back where I was making a plane I planned to kit and sell. To make a long story short he Lin came into my thread and started pushing his plane saying something to the effect of, " Wouldn't you guys rather have a nice GWS version of this plane". Enough said? No. Not quite. He did this in other threads where people were trying to make a kit.

Well that was enough for me.

Good to see Randy over here. A damn nice fellow and a big help to me in the past. Support him. He has some very nice products and you'll get good support from him always.

Ok enough of that before I get into trouble. Gee I'm not shell shocked from RCG! LOL!

Steve

Oh, man, don't get me started on Mr. Lin!

You know some guy went through all my old posts and reported stuff from months ago and got me banned? How lame is that system?

U812
12-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes,

But it has little or no traffic. It was the same way at RCG when I first got there. After a couple of building threads and then David Merriman's arrival the place became very populated. Now it's back to the way it was because none of us liked the way things were going and left the scene. There hasn't been a new post there in days. And those were only about the 19 dollar toy subs.

Jim doesn't care he cased off the best talent in the field. I don't think he even new he had a sub forum until he closed down one of our threads personally.

Steve

U812
12-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Oh, man, don't get me started on Mr. Lin!

You know some guy went through all my old posts and reported stuff from months ago and got me banned? How lame is that system?
Exactly. You say one thing against him there whether it's warranted or not and Jim will take you down. If he comes into your thread where your trying to push your own design pushes his own you can't defend yourself against without being banned. Mr. Lin the snake oil salesmen is always right and your always quilty of your crimes against him! LOL!!!

Tell not to swear, troll and personally attack someone. Fine I can go along with that. But don't tell me a I have to let him invade my thread to steal my biz! Jim does.

Steve

easytiger
12-10-2005, 08:35 PM
There is something very amiss about the way Lin gets treated there, I think he bought Bourke off.
And, yeah, Lin is the ultimate snake oil salesman. He lies constantly, and people just suck it up.

U812
12-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Let them. That's what they are becoming all about. A place where those that can't do push those who can out. It gives them a sense of power they'll never have any place else.

You should have seen and read the way Merriman read them the riot act. Priceless.

Steve

U812
12-13-2005, 05:08 AM
http://www.sneill.com/subpirates/logo.jpgBTW guys. for those of you into subs too my forum should be open this weekend.

Here's the cover art! LOL!

Enjoy,

Arggg!

Steve

ParkJetsFlyer
12-13-2005, 05:35 AM
Oh that Is too Cool!!!!!!

U812
12-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks Tom. I try hard. I wonder what Jim will think. Wait I don't have to! LOL!

Steve

Mike Parsons
12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
It took me a minute to catch the vessel name. :D

easytiger
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Did you ever read Wolfgang Ott's "Sharks and Little Fish"? The BEST submarine novel, ever. It's nasty and grim and BRILLIANT. The guy never wrote another thing.

U812
12-14-2005, 06:09 PM
No Curtis. Can one still get it?

Thanks,

Steve

Joe41
12-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Steve, just a quick question, you've probably been asked before but, the Heinkel (http://sneill.com/new%5Fplanes/heinkel.html) on your web site,,,, I need to build one :) Do you plan to kit it? or would you be interested in sell me a copy of the cross sections so I could give one a go?

TTFN
Joe

easytiger
12-19-2005, 11:33 PM
No Curtis. Can one still get it?

Thanks,

Steve

I think so, from the Naval Institute Press? If not, I will loan you my copy...

U812
12-20-2005, 05:18 AM
Thanks Curtis after I finish Torpedo I'll take you up on it.

Joe,

I'll look around for the plans and cross sections I made for that plane. It's been awhile but I may still have them and I can zip them up and send them to you.

Steve

Joe41
12-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Thanks Steve, if you find them, that would be great.

Joe

easytiger
12-20-2005, 05:39 PM
That's a neat plane! What about a hot wire cut kit? I'd buy one!

Bill Harris
12-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi, folks, just boppin' on thru...

--Bill

termite
12-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Steve,
The art work is great but they don't need any help sinking the ship.
They're doin' fine all by themselves:p :p :p

Randy

U812
12-23-2005, 03:46 AM
Boy you can say that again!

Steve

easytiger
12-23-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm telling you, he's gotten religion...

U812
12-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes. You get that feeling don't you. Every see "Inherent the Wind?"

Steve

easytiger
12-25-2005, 04:19 AM
Never did!

I was just wasting some time on the internet, poked over to the "complaints" forum over there, and saw that in his Most Generous Benevolence He Himself was "forgiving" some members that he had banned, "as a Christmas gift".
It reminded me of a story in "The Onion" a few months back:

"Pope Forgives Molested Children".

U812
01-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Then you need to see that film. Trust me. Rent it. Buy it, you'll want to keep it. And yes, "Pope Forgives Molested Children" is perfect!!

Steve

St. Martin
02-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Here's a pick of my repainted U-Boat destroyer. Would you believe this plane is 9 yrs old?

Steve

Mike Parsons
02-13-2006, 09:08 PM
That looks great Steve. Avenger?

U812
02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes I can Steve. You build to fly, not crash! ;)

Beautiful as usual.

Steve

easytiger
02-13-2006, 10:37 PM
ASW aircraft are the ugliest and most interesting planes around. I remmber going to the Strathallan Air Collection when I was a kid, they had an Avenger that had a huge awful radome(or firebomber tank?) under the fuselage, never seen that one modelled...

St. Martin
02-14-2006, 12:06 AM
That looks great Steve. Avenger?

Yes, Mike. It is a Wing Mfg TBF. Designed by Andrae around 1963. Designed for single channel compound esc. It is a plan & plastics still offered by the new owner of Wing. Comes with cowl and canopy. I built this in 1996. My first one was when I was a boy in the 60's. It originally flew on a Enya .11cx. Flys the best now under "E" power. Uses a Mega 16/25/3, MAT H-100 3-1 belt drive, C.C. 35, PQ-2200 3s, 11-7SF. The belt drive gives it a realistic rumbling sound and it makes a neat wooshing noise as it cruises by. By far the most realitic sounding electric I ever heard.

The plane builds like a Guillows, only harder.. Has insert planking on the fuse back to the rear of the canopy. Rest of frame is open structure and covered in silk$ and Randolph's butyrate. 41"WS 3/4" scale. Tamiya acrylics. Never wieghed her. I gave her to a local friend, in 1996, who was stationed at Charlestown NAS, R.I. during WW-II. He was the bombadier in a TBM. It sat around in his basement for 9 yrs. I got it back last april in it's original early war pacific scheme. Decided to add a new cowl and canopy and do it up in my favorite scheme. N.Atlantic, last week. So actually, Steve, she only has about 40 flights on her. 20 of those with the Enya. I could teach someone to fly, on her. She is that stable. Must be inherent in the design.. Thanx for letting me show it off.

Steve

Mike Parsons
02-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Sweet. I know very little about scale and there are a handful that I can point to and (with very little confidence) identify. This is one of them. Thanks for the info

-Mike

easytiger
02-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Nobody has ever done a really nice Devastator.

Always wanted to do the Wing Mfg Short kit of the Martin Maryland, too. Ever try that one?

St. Martin
02-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Did not know they had one, Curtis.

easytiger
02-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Same era as the Avenger, maybe late sixties. Plans, plastics, and cores, pretty affordable, all there on the site. Hey, I finally found something you DIDN'T build!

St. Martin
02-14-2006, 03:04 PM
It's probably late 60's. I don't think there were any designs offered circa 63 with foam cores. In fact I think the Eyeball may have been ONE of the earliest.

easytiger
02-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Wonder if the cores were cut later? But being a twin and all that, you are probably right about the date. Shows 19s on the plans, old-school incidences and such. Ed Izzo invented the foam core, you are right about the dates.
Check out the pics on the site, it's a pretty handsome bird, and actually has a good combat history, especially in Africa...

Rudderman98
03-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Hoho!
So this is where you've been hiding Steve!:rolleyes:

Good to see you again buddy and the rest of the peanut gallery form EZone.

Perry

U812
03-11-2006, 12:31 AM
And here. www.subpirates.com My own forum Perry. Welcome to Wattflyer!

Steve

Rudderman98
03-11-2006, 12:36 AM
And here. www.subpirates.com (http://www.subpirates.com) My own forum Perry. Welcome to Wattflyer!

Steve

Thanks Steve. It's good to be here. Love your sub site.
And hello to everybody!:D

Perry

Don Sims
03-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Welcome Perry, great to see ya hereabouts!