PDA

View Full Version : Next larger RTF heli?

UglyNet
01-05-2008, 06:21 AM
I've been flying a Blade CP+ for a while now and I'm quite comfortable with it. I'd like to get something a little larger so I can handle the less than calm weather here in North Texas a bit better. I'd really like to keep everything under $500 if at all possible. I've seen mixed reviews of the Blade 400 and I see the TRex is popular if not a bit pricey. I'm obviously open to any input. Thanks in advance y'all! :tc:

CHELLIE
01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I've been flying a Blade CP+ for a while now and I'm quite comfortable with it. I'd like to get something a little larger so I can handle the less than calm weather here in North Texas a bit better. I'd really like to keep everything under $500 if at all possible. I've seen mixed reviews of the Blade 400 and I see the TRex is popular if not a bit pricey. I'm obviously open to any input. Thanks in advance y'all! :tc:

Some good information here, Take Care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28727

UglyNet
01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I've read that thread a couple of times already. Honestly the possibility of re-using the radio in the Blade 400 is awfully tempting. I've spent a fair amount of time flying fixed wing and I'm thinking about getting a couple more to give me a little variety. What I'd *really* like is to fly both of them in a sim (I have both FSone and RF3.5) and make my first opinion there unless I can find someone that's flown both of them and formed their own opinion from experience.

Goanna
01-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Hey Uglynet,

For what it's worth I am strongly leaning toward the E-Smart 600 that was recomended to me in the thread mentioined above.

I figure for a little more then the Blade 400 would cost me I could get that setup and ready to go, and have a 600 size heli that seems to have good reviews. Even if it winds up costing more then I expected to pay, being in kit format I can always piece it together bit by bit (Not like I dont have any other toys to keep me busy while I put a new bird together).

Albeit needs some work when first setting up. Check out this thread for more info on it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714124&page=1

Curtis
01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
For the money I have it down to either the E-Smart 600 or the Eco 8 Royal (a redesign of the Eco 8 with totally new frame, tail-mount servo, 120-swash, etc). The Royal is a little cheaper, but they STILL make you buy the auto main gear separate(!!). I've never owned a Mac, so I guess that would be my sacrifice to the Proprietary Profit god, should I get it.

As far as relative quality of the two kits, I read the build thread on the E-sky 600, and it seems to me that E-sky still has some new model issues to work out? Issues with pinion/main gear, guides in the head, plastic parts breaking under low load, loose tail, etc. On the other hand, the only complaint I have read about either the Std. or Royal Eco parts were prices - never quality issues. Now the prices have come down considerably on Eco stuff, but the bling is a fraction of the price of the Ikarus stuff, and the 600 comes with a motor for just a bit more.

I guess the E-smart instructions are not clear for first time builders which is a consideration for me.

So many decisions!

Spaceteach
03-04-2008, 11:51 PM
uglynet,
If you like RTF, you may want to check out ka-planes.com They sell several rtf models and Mike (the owner) has several types that they will test fly for you and make sure they hover properly before they ship it to you. I bought a BlackHawk 450 SE pro from them and I've been really happy with it but they also carry GAUI and TREX. The electronics are generic in the cheaper kits, but there are some custom builds they will do with Spektrum (I think they will also build Futaba if requested) radio equipment. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I've been really impressed with their level of service.

Hope this helps,
Bob