PDA

View Full Version : Motors & Batteries: Is there a Master Primer somewhere?

Curtis
01-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Okay, I've gotten through the differences between brushed, brushless and outrunner. But the multitude of ways in which manufacturers market their motors is making my head spin. Plus, matching motors & pinions to certain models seems to be an art in the same class as alchemy, astrology and Tarot card reading! ????

It's a little daunting when you read that someone changed 2 teeth on a pinion and changed an 10 minute dog to a twelve minute rocket...

There MUST be a consummate article out there written by some wise, old swingwing graybeard that is informative, educational and takes the mystery & pain away from motor choices? Something establishing certain standards so that a somewhat educated guess as to what motor/pinion might be a good bet after one is done reading it?

Something along the same lines of dealing with batteries choices would be great, too.

Any suggestions? Please?

CHELLIE
01-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Okay, I've gotten through the differences between brushed, brushless and outrunner. But the multitude of ways in which manufacturers market their motors is making my head spin. Plus, matching motors & pinions to certain models seems to be an art in the same class as alchemy, astrology and Tarot card reading! ????

It's a little daunting when you read that someone changed 2 teeth on a pinion and changed an 10 minute dog to a twelve minute rocket...

There MUST be a consummate article out there written by some wise, old swingwing graybeard that is informative, educational and takes the mystery & pain away from motor choices? Something establishing certain standards so that a somewhat educated guess as to what motor/pinion might be a good bet after one is done reading it?

Something along the same lines of dealing with batteries choices would be great, too.

Any suggestions? Please?

You have got that right Curtis :D I started out with a IKARUS piccollo heli,
fixed pitch, got ok with that, then bought a Shogun v2 with a brush motor, hated the brush motor, did some research, found out that the Shogun v2 and the wakera 36 is about the same heli, they do that alot :ws: same heli different name, bought a 3500kv motor and esc from Ebay, put it in, and it took off like a rocket :D, I normally, put in the biggest lipo that will fit in the battery tray, in my Shogun , I have a 2200mah 3 cell lipo, and the heli seems to like it ;-) the extra weight seems to make it more stable too in the wind, next I bought a Century Swift 30 nitro size heli, took me a little while to buy all the stuff for it, I bought everything on sale, that helped alot, Its not finished up yet, but soon, the 4400mah 6 cell lipo 22v was expensive ::o then I had to but a charger that will charge a 6 cell lipo and a balancer, $$$$$$ its all paid for now, Ebay has helped a lot with buying motors for helis, a lot of sellers, will inform you what motor will fit a certian heli, and I have found information on pinion gear sizes, there are a lot of other forums out there that are dedicated to just helis, and some that are dedicated to just one type of heli, doing a google search, will a lot of times point you in the right direction, anyway hope that helps, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Curtis
01-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey Chellie,

Thanks, again, for the information.

I agree, it is a little bewildering, but I have found some links (HeliHobby.com is good for listing models with their motors) and there are a lot of web pages and boards where people talk about their models and what they use that works and what doesn't work well. I will likely compile some sort of list of the motor/pinion combos that work (I am leaning towards the Eco 8 Std. or Royal right now), and then I will get a better idea of the ratios & kV ratings that work for the model.

Sometimes I just wish I had more money to experiment and was less methodical - it would be more fun! :)

C