PDA

View Full Version : Lanier S.E.5A EP ARF 38"

barmonkey
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Lanier S.E.5A EP ARF 38" from Tower Hobbies. I haven't seen much info on it around the web...Looks to be a reasonably scale rendition of the S.E.5A.

I wasn't in the market for another plane at this time...Still need to start that Powerline Hobbies Sopwith Camel and the E-flite S.E.5A...and then there is that P-47 repaint...But while shopping for some parts, I found that Tower now has it for $69.99. This, together with a "$20 off a $50 order coupon" pushed me over the edge.

aviatordave
01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
hmm...now you got me thinking...

I'll have to check it out. Have you shopped for affordable power options?

barmonkey
01-08-2008, 11:18 PM
"Affordable Power Options"...I like the way you think Dave! As of now, my affordable options will come from motors that I have on hand. Not saying that I am against buying another motor for this plane, but I must consider what I already have.

After reading the instructions (available online) I found that you have the choice of a firewall mount or stick mount. I wonder what I can come up with using those GWS gearboxes I have laying around? Also, I have a couple of brushed 480/gearboxes from my E-Flite P-47's.

As far as brushless outrunner options I have: Esskay 400XT, Ultrafly Frio E/10/10 and E/10/09, the motor from my Powerline Hobbies Camel (for testing purposes) and some of the BP or Tower Pro CD ROM motors (which may work nicely with a 2S lipo).

barmonkey
01-08-2008, 11:42 PM
I think the wing loading for this plane is fairly light...around 8oz/sq ft...which is similar to the Great Planes version. It should come in around 28 ounces but has a larger wing area. I'll need to see if there is anywhere to save some weight and then I'll have a better idea on which motor to use.

For now, I'll say that the 400XT would be adequate. It is around a 100-110 Watt motor, which others have reported good performance with their Great Planes Fokkers. But then the Frio motors are good for 150 Watts...

fresbill
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Lanier S.E.5A EP ARF 38" from Tower Hobbies. I haven't seen much info on it around the web...Looks to be a reasonably scale rendition of the S.E.5A.

I wasn't in the market for another plane at this time...Still need to start that Powerline Hobbies Sopwith Camel and the E-flite S.E.5A...and then there is that P-47 repaint...But while shopping for some parts, I found that Tower now has it for $69.99. This, together with a "$20 off a $50 order coupon" pushed me over the edge.

I was wondering about that plane too.

Found this on RC Groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7070611&highlight=Lanier+SE5A+EP#post7070611

Hum...

guest001
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I have a friend building one and he loves it.

barmonkey
01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
fresbill, I actaully posted in that thread. There are a few threads concerning the Lanier S.E.5a at RCG, however not much detail on people's experiences with it. There is a review on RCG...it is fairly detailed, and it also includes the Fokker D VII.

Dave, let me know how your friend's S.E.5a turns out.

guest001
01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Update: he loves the build time and scale look, but has a complaint about the aileron control system-I'll try to get details for you.

fresbill
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
fresbill, I actaully posted in that thread. There are a few threads concerning the Lanier S.E.5a at RCG, however not much detail on people's experiences with it. There is a review on RCG...it is fairly detailed, and it also includes the Fokker D VII.

Sorry about that.
I'm sure most of my posts are a bit Duh...

guest001
01-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Another update: the complaint centers on the lack of aileron travel or difficulty in obtaining it. Like me, he only has about a year in this so weigh it accordingly. He had (past tense) the GP 5a, and is thinking of returning to it-he found it much easier and more fun to fly.

barmonkey
01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll take note of the aileron travel when mines arrives.
There are a lot of things that could limit aileron travel: Hinges being too tight or close to the wing...with no bevel; could use longer servo arms; the control horn is not positioned correctly; the servo itself.

Do you know what motor he is using?

guest001
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Ultrafly: he has a ton of them!

WWI Ace
01-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm glad someone knew about this plane so Barmonkey could get his questions answered. I don't know of anyone with this particular plane! Steve

guest001
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I have asked my friend for a laundry list of pros and cons: if received, I'll post it.

barmonkey
01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Any info would be helpful Dave.

Bill G
01-10-2008, 02:03 AM

Boy it sure looks a lot more scale than their F86 Sabre.:D

I know its a foamie, but that new little Eflite SE5A looks cute, for what it is.

guest001
01-10-2008, 02:46 AM

Dave, let me know how your friend's S.E.5a turns out.

PIREP:

Dave -

The build was easy but I haven't flown the SE5 enough to be certain about flying traits. I have noticed that rudder is needed to turn. This is probably caused by what I think is too much dihedral. It obviously has more than the Great Planes SE5. You really need to fly this thing......

I am still hopeful - but so far unimpressed.

The motor is a 1000kv Ultrafly outrunner.

It sure looks cool in the air though!!
:sad:

barmonkey
01-10-2008, 03:01 AM
I suppose it's a good thing I haven't seen the F-86...might have scared me off!

I have been looking all over the web for S.E.5A info...and have come to the conclusion that this plane...at least the profile ...appears to be fairly accurate. Some items of interest are: No Vickers Gun on the Fuselage (The GP version has something that is supposed to be a Vickers); I'll need to add a windshield, headrest, cockpit, sight tube; The struts are "N" style...it should have two single struts "II"; I'll need to add flying wires; the landing gear could be made a bit more scale with little effort; The wheels will need to be reinforced; The aileron servos will need to be mounted differently; The Lewis gun may need some love; and The tail skid will need a little work to be a bit more scale.

These are just my observations so far without actually having the kit in hand. It appears to be quite a list at first...but no single item on my list will require much work...or skill I hope :D My main goal will be to make it fly "AS IS" and then add the details on those rainy days.

barmonkey
01-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Thanks again Dave...it is possible that the dihedral could affect the aileron turning ability. I am going to assume it does turn with a little co-ordinated rudder?

Is that an Ultrafly Frio Outrunner by chance?

guest001
01-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks again Dave...it is possible that the dihedral could affect the aileron turning ability. I am going to assume it does turn with a little co-ordinated rudder?

Very likely: he hates to use the rudder/aileron mixer so who knows!

Is that an Ultrafly Frio Outrunner by chance?

No, it's the metal casing version.

I have used the Frios on other models and find them real values.

degreen60
01-10-2008, 04:18 AM
[quote=barmonkey;335506]I No Vickers Gun on the Fuselage quote]

Here is a Vickers gun you can make using printed paper glued to thin foam.

http://paperwings.phobby.com/images/free_downloads/weapons/vickers_k.pdf

barmonkey
01-10-2008, 04:29 AM
Dave, I have been thinking that the Frio maybe the best choice of what I have on hand. I have the 10/10 and the 10/09 versions to choose from. I have been using one on my Ultrafly Mustang (25oz) and it Hauls it around pretty good...much faster than this bird needs to fly!

Thanks for the Linky my fellow Hoosier. That will prove useful when I redo/modify the wing mount gun...however the Fuselage mounted machine gun has the water jacket around the barrel...I assumed it was a Vickers also...

barmonkey
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Looks like my S.E.5A should get delivered today! I hope to have some photos to share this afternoon.

fresbill
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I suppose it's a good thing I haven't seen the F-86...might have scared me off!

I have been looking all over the web for S.E.5A info...and have come to the conclusion that this plane...at least the profile ...appears to be fairly accurate. Some items of interest are: No Vickers Gun on the Fuselage (The GP version has something that is supposed to be a Vickers); I'll need to add a windshield, headrest, cockpit, sight tube; The struts are "N" style...it should have two single struts "II"; I'll need to add flying wires; the landing gear could be made a bit more scale with little effort; The wheels will need to be reinforced; The aileron servos will need to be mounted differently; The Lewis gun may need some love; and The tail skid will need a little work to be a bit more scale.

These are just my observations so far without actually having the kit in hand. It appears to be quite a list at first...but no single item on my list will require much work...or skill I hope :D My main goal will be to make it fly "AS IS" and then add the details on those rainy days.

I'm looking forward to your Lanier SE5a Build.
Those rainy day details you're adding will be nice to see also.

degreen60
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Fuselage mounted machine gun has the water jacket around the barrel...I assumed it was a Vickers also...

Then you need this one.

barmonkey
01-10-2008, 02:56 PM
That's the one! Excellent picture BTW. I am considering just making a scale model of the Vickers in a larger scale first, and then downsizing it for this plane...the good thing is that I just need to make the water jacket end for this plane...as that is all that shows. The tricky part will be to modify the top of the fuse to make it look convincing.

degreen60
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Could you make a water jacket by taking just the water jacket from the pictures, copy it about 4 times, place the copies side by side, print out and roll around something. Think it would look ok?

barmonkey
01-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Here it is. Looks to be of good quality. Made of laser cut balsa and ply and covered in Oracover. The covering is applied neatly, with only a few places where it will need to be hit with the covering iron. The fuse and wings are light and strong and appear to be true with no warps or twists.

FlyingMonkey
01-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I have seen people use a clear matt finish to dull the shine of the coating. Gives it a more cloth look...

http://www.liquitex.com/Products/fluidmedmatte.cfm

barmonkey
01-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Yup, already have some...bought it for the Camel. Eventually, it will get applied on this bird. I will most likely just throw this one together without doing anything detail-wise to iron out the flight characteristics first.

I do plan some experiments with that stuff and some paint on a spare wing...

spudandcat
01-11-2008, 11:10 PM
i wanted one of these but it was gonna cost 127 $us to get it sent to australia !! damnit , the gp se5a only costs 40bucks to aussie , from tower hobbies that is .. spud

WWI Ace
01-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Pat Trtle just started making a 60"ws Jenny short kit that weighs about 26ozs!! www.patscustommodels.com (http://www.patscustommodels.com) is the site. Steve

spudandcat
01-13-2008, 01:20 AM
this link is better :roll: http://www.patscustom-models.com/ some great stuff in there

guest001
01-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Alright, I saw the Lanier fly, today-YOU WILL NEED A FAIRLY LARGE MOTOR to overcome the pitch problems! The a/c I saw had the Ultrafly motor and it's lack of thrust resulted in continuing PIO's in the pitch axis. I believe that something like a Park 450/480 or cheap clone would be perfect-otherwise, the a/c is beautiful and the roll rate higher than the GP. Think POWER!

barmonkey
01-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Are you suggesting power as in THRUST..or does it need speed?

barmonkey
01-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Oops..you did say thrust

barmonkey
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Dave, I wonder if your friend's SE5a is having a C/G issue?

guest001
01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Dave, I wonder if your friend's SE5a is having a C/G issue?

Two conditions seem "apparent:" the CG is tough to nail on this thing and critical, hence I suggest more thrust, not speed, to ameliorate the condition. I think speed would simply aggravate it, and there is that little warning in the manual about flutter!

Also, let me say that the Lanier is about 30% bigger, has far more dihedral and makes the GP look like an ugly dog. (As we used to say, "If I had a dog that looked like that, I'd shave his ... and make him walk backwards.") "If" the CG can be nailed, this is a winner on all counts-my friend, who loves biplanes, has "reserved" his opinion pending the next series of flights. I'll keep you posted.

And, one more thing: when this thing is in a pitch-based PIO, it'll scare your donkey!

barmonkey
01-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Nothing worse than a skeered Donkey!!!

Managed to do some thrust tests...

Ultrafly Frio 10/09 (950 kv) 24 ounces of thrust with an APC 10x4.7

MP Jet AC 28/7-35D (950 RPM/Volt) APC 10x4.7 prop: 30 ounces of thrust! This is the motor used in the review at RCG with a 10x5 Zinger gas prop. It's pulling 16 Amps and putting out 160 Watts with the APC...I'd hate to know how many Amps that Zinger prop pulled.

guest001
01-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Best for the donkey, too!

barmonkey
01-15-2008, 07:43 PM
If anyone is interested in this plane...I just noticed that Tower has the SE5a and the Fokker on sale for $49.99. I am not sure if this means they are destined to be discontinued or not...probably so.

guest001
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, you get 1 plane and 1 Frankenstein for the price of 1!

CAN YOU PROVIDE THE LINK? I could not find it.

fresbill
01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, you get 1 plane and 1 Frankenstein for the price of 1!

CAN YOU PROVIDE THE LINK? I could not find it.

Here you go Dave...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRJJ9&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRJK0&P=7

guest001
01-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Here you go Dave...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRJJ9&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRJK0&P=7

I thought you meant Null and Void (where you have one, you always have the other). Actually, both are fun but the DR-1 skeers my donkey!

constantCrash
01-17-2008, 06:41 PM
I just ordered both the SE5 and the DVII last night. been looking for info on them all over the net and it seems NOBODY has purchased this thing and flew it. No wonder tower is trying to get rid of them.

I'm excited though, these two (or the GP versions) were my goal when I started flying last April. (they will be planes number 8 and 9 in my hanger)

guest001
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
I've seen the Lanier SE 5: very pretty, buy it seems there is great difficulty in locating the cg.

Old Fart
01-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Damn you guys - now I have to buy another plane. I'm not hanging out on any more threads that Matison is on!

(But - I have a $25 cupon from Tower) :)

guest001
01-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Ancient Flatus, do you have a donkey?

If you get the DR-1 you will need one. :)

barmonkey
01-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Looks like I will go ahead and use the Ultrafly motor for now...I do have a Park 450...but the Ultrafly motor will require nothing more than screwing it to the firewall. It is the perfect length from the firewall to the cowl!

I was hoping to get started on this but I am still waiting on some books that I ordered through Amazon. I really don't want to add too much detail before the maiden, but if there is anything I can add/change before assembly to make things easier...

Old Fart
01-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Ancient Flatus, do you have a donkey?

If you get the DR-1 you will need one. :)

Already have a Dr.1 - but I built Jetset44's version. About 95% done.

degreen60
01-18-2008, 07:22 PM
If anyone is interested in this plane...I just noticed that Tower has the SE5a and the Fokker on sale for $49.99. I am not sure if this means they are destined to be discontinued or not...probably so.

I found these planes in a couple of other places for $49.99. One was only $6.99 shipping in the USA.

guest001
01-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Donkey?

constantCrash
01-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Dave, could you look at your friends plane alieron mount? would it be possible to convert the ailerons to be inside the wing like the great planes version?

The Alieron sticking out like that is the one thing that looks dissapointing.

see here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597602

guest001
01-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Dave, could you look at your friends plane alieron mount? would it be possible to convert the ailerons to be inside the wing like the great planes version?

The Alieron sticking out like that is the one thing that looks dissapointing.

see here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597602

Sure-send me a pm with exactly what you want inspected and I'll pass it on to him-I'm a bit dull and it's not clear to me.

barmonkey
01-18-2008, 09:24 PM
The aileron servo positioning is one of my hang-ups. Last night, I examined the wing and it looks like there is enough room to mount the servo horizontally like the Great Planes Version (At least like the Fokker D.VII). I will just need to cut out a square, and figure out how to clamp/glue some ply to the existing ply for a mounting point.

barmonkey
01-19-2008, 01:26 PM
I thought that I had posted this picture before...but alas I was wrong. This shows the servo mounting hole on the bottom of the wing. If you look closely, you can see the area around the hole (aprox. 2"x2") is actually light ply. A square could be cut within this area, and support points for a hatch could be installed somehow to the remaining ply.

I was initially worried about covering the new hatch, which will be cut from a new piece of ply. I want to use a new piece so the servo arm hole will be smaller. The good news is, the roundel can cover this entire area...so no need to find matching covering.

degreen60
01-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I am considering just making a scale model of the Vickers in a larger scale first, and then downsizing it for this plane...the good thing is that I just need to make the water jacket end for this plane...as that is all that shows. The tricky part will be to modify the top of the fuse to make it look convincing.

Think this looks close enouth to a Vickers?

constantCrash
01-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Even if you had to cover the hatch, the manual lists the colors of Orcacover to use dosn't it?

I thought that I had posted this picture before...but alas I was wrong. This shows the servo mounting hole on the bottom of the wing. If you look closely, you can see the area around the hole (aprox. 2"x2") is actually light ply. A square could be cut within this area, and support points for a hatch could be installed somehow to the remaining ply.

I was initially worried about covering the new hatch, which will be cut from a new piece of ply. I want to use a new piece so the servo arm hole will be smaller. The good news is, the roundel can cover this entire area...so no need to find matching covering.

barmonkey
01-19-2008, 06:39 PM
That Vickers looks pretty good degreen60.

Crash, yes the instructions do list the Oracover colors. Actually the instructions state: "The S.E.5a covering can be closely matched using"

Oracover Red #871
Oracover White #870
Oracover Olive Drab #904
Oracover Blue #873
Oracover Cream #878

Old Fart
01-19-2008, 07:33 PM
What do you folks that are flying it now think the minimum thrust required should be?

barmonkey
01-20-2008, 06:30 AM
For future reference, I took some pictures of the PowerLine Hobbies Sopwith Camel's and the GP Fokker D.VII's aileron servo hatches.

pope417
01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
hi guys,
Been lurking for awhile, here are some pics of my se5a and dvii.

guest001
01-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Post flying results: I have a D VII (Lainer) in route. Did I say the GP DR-1 is hard to fly and land? :)

constantCrash
01-22-2008, 12:54 AM
My S.E.5 and DVII arrived today. inspected a few bubbles in the S.E.5 fuse but nothing bad. That's it for a while since i'm WAY over hobby budget now ;-)

jorno67
02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Me and my buddy each got one - I have the DVII and he has the SE5a. The price was just right for a couple of planes we tie up some streamers and get into some old school combat. We are oth faily new to electrics and are having soming issues with the motor mounting set up. We both will use BP 2217/9. The idea of using wood screws right into the fire wall is a bit scary - any help??

constantCrash
02-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Right to the firewall is fine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7443535#post7443535

Pre-drill the holes so you don't crack the plywood.

Me and my buddy each got one - I have the DVII and he has the SE5a. The price was just right for a couple of planes we tie up some streamers and get into some old school combat. We are oth faily new to electrics and are having soming issues with the motor mounting set up. We both will use BP 2217/9. The idea of using wood screws right into the fire wall is a bit scary - any help??

degreen60
02-07-2008, 10:25 PM
The idea of using wood screws right into the fire wall is a bit scary - any help??

Remember the electric motor does not vibrate like a glow engine.
I use both stick mount and wood screws into plywood for fire wall mount.

barmonkey
02-09-2008, 02:15 AM
You may want to reinforce the threads in the wood with a little thin C/A. Do this after you have pre-drilled the holes and ran the screws into the wood. Let it dry before you re-install the screws.

seekup297
02-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Thanx, i planned on doing so. I may even use some 5 min.epoxy for added insurance plus a 3/32 piece of ply cut the shape of the firewall for some more "bite". So far these Bipes look to pose some real fun for Jorno and I. The rest of the build should go just fine. Thanks guys :tc:

barmonkey
02-09-2008, 05:42 AM
For those who are interested in an alternate aileron servo mount...I have officially gone past the point of no return.

I first cut my hatches with a sharp X-acto...only to find my measurement of the wings depth was off. HS-55's are a bit too thick! Plan B involved the use of GWS Pico servos which are a bit thinner. I was kind of worried about the strength of the Pico driving two ailerons. Being a slow flier they may be OK, but I opted to try to make the HS-55's fit.

I removed one of the mounting tabs on the HS-55 so it would tuck under the balsa lip I had left when I cut the opening. The width is pretty close at this point, but the stringers taper about 1mm to 2mm towards the rear of the wing. I have sanded a bit of the servo's case away trying to make it fit better. Due to the screws that hold the servo together, I can't remove too much. I also rounded the remaining mounting tab so it didn't protrude into the covering. There will be a visible square on the top of the wing from the servo case.

I have glued a mounting plate, made out of 1/16 ply, to the rear of the opening. I still need to figure out how to squeeze some mounting points toward the front of the opening. Perhaps, I will use some square Balsa pieces which can be glued to the stringers.

jorno67
02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
thanks for the pointers.

seekup297
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Ya cause u need all the help u can get ha ha... Daaaaahh:D

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 04:20 AM
I haven't done much work on the SE5A in the last few days. Just mounted a couple more wood bits to hold the servo cover on.
I also painted the outer wing struts a wood tone, leaving the slanted piece green. This will hopefully give the illusion of being two separate struts, and not an "N" strut.

I am still waiting on a book that I ordered from Amazon. Word to the wise: Don't use Amazon's super saver (free) shipping option if you want your item in a reasonable amount of time!

While pondering what marking options I have for the SE5A, I have come to the conclusion that I am pretty much stuck with having a green plane.

With that in mind...has anyone else ever thought that the SE5A looks like some sort of Farm Implement with wings? That would be a TRACTOR to you city folk :D

seekup297
02-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Ya tell me about it thats some lot of green on one plane.:D I started sanding the green paint off the struts but still leaving some green streaks to give it that rustic old worn look, so far the struts are looking pretty good. Though it way take longer than just painting them like i thought to do first but opted for the alternative method...

-Steve

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 04:46 AM
I tried sanding first but gave up and went with the paint...had it on hand anyway. Eventually I would like to make some new struts to get away from the "N" struts. I'd like to make them more rigid also...oh yeah ...and add the wire rigging.

seekup297
02-12-2008, 04:51 AM
agreed on the rigging wires. I'm gonna look around for some thin gauge steel fishing leader material and some swivels to attach with kind of like the green r/c camel, we'll see. oh have u had any experience with the BP outrunners at all?

-Steve

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 05:12 AM
I was actually looking at Wal-Mart for a spool of stainless fishing leader...but no luck. I did find a nice product at Hobby Lobby. Not the RC Hobby Lobby, but the "let your wife or girlfriend find some neat junk to put in your house" Hobby Lobby. I found it in the jewelry making section. It is called Beadalon Designer Series Bead Stringing Wire. It is nylon coated stainless steel .015" 17#. It come on a spool just like fishing line. The item number is JW14T-0.

I have been using a BP motor on my GWS Corsair for a few years now...perfect for that plane on 3S! Tamed down with a 2S and a larger prop it may work.

seekup297
02-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Right on man ! cool I'll have to check that out. BP motors seem great for the money much like the turnigy motors from hobby city, another go to distributor for inexpensive power systems.

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 05:28 AM
I have some #14 swivels...the smallest I have found so far...maybe they make a #20?

Also, look for crimp beads or tubes if you look for that wire I was talking about.

What BP motor do you have?

seekup297
02-12-2008, 05:34 AM
i'm sure I'll find somthin that would work. Yea i know what yur sayin about the crimps. My mom is into beading and crafts and such and i thought she had some. As far as the motor I have the BP 2217/9 the specs seemed spot on for this application and many many others.

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 05:49 AM
HOOOLEY COW! that's a lot of motor...I thought you were talking about the cheapo $10 CD-Rom motors. I am going to use a 150 Watt motor, which should be plenty. You may want to really consider the weight also...may be way nose heavy.

seekup297
02-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Ha ha :ws: well the specs / calculations say it'll produce 170-185 watts with a 10x6 and 3 cell so... where talkin like 29-32 oz. plane 80-85 w/lb doesnt seem to bad. I'm gonna go easy on er' don't won't that dreaded fluter to set in ::o ha ha ...

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 06:22 AM
I'll let you be my Huckleberry on that motor :ws: !

Have you put any thought into what battery to use?

The only battery that fits (which I have) is the Thunder Power 3S 1320. I wanted to try to make a 2100mAh fit, but that will require some cutting.

seekup297
02-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Haaaa funny :silly: umm i ordered some Looong max 1300 3cells for my buddy and I who got the DVII , but i noticed within the batt compartment there is a place that can be dremmeled (sp) out to possible fit my 2200's in, fingers crossed. if not then we'll Roll with the 1300's and i'll just buy a bunch more. Plus did u notice how little ply there is in the compartment that "X" shaped batt. floor is gonna get a sheet of Thin ply over it Real quick !:ws:

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 06:47 AM
At least the "X" frame for the battery is ply...unlike my GP Fokker DVII...which had a Balsa floor. Didn't take long for that to break.
As far as putting a 2100 in...the hatch isn't long enough to even get a 3S 2100 inside. Maybe a 2S. I was thinking of going up. Plenty of room there.

seekup297
02-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Damn G.P. :silly: "going up " huh please explain i don't have the plane near me so i can't get to good of a picture.

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 06:58 AM
"Going up" ...rather than putting the longer battery in length-wise...installing it from the bottom to the top. Probably more of an angle?

This would mean cutting out the X brace...which I think would need to be reinforced.

seekup297
02-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Ahhh ha, ok ok I smell what ya steppin in. Ya that totally makes sense. I'll check it out tomorrow, i'm gonna call it a night . It was great chattin with ya... talk to ya later:tc:

barmonkey
02-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Keep me posted on your progress...

constantCrash
03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Think a E-flite Park 450 is enough motor for these?

barmonkey
03-26-2008, 02:27 AM
I think the Park 450 would work very well...with a surplus of power. I think that you would need at least a 10x5 prop on 3S.

Flubber
03-26-2008, 02:45 PM
I used a dynam 22-20L with a 1320 3s and a 8x3.8 prop. It worked well and I was over powered. The second flight was better after trimming and the take off was at less than half power. It would scoot around at higher throttle settings, but the sky was poor and I did not wring the plane out.
Seems like the center of lift and the center of gravity are very close together so the plane is pitch sensitive. The slower (less power) I flew with the less sensitive the plane was.

With extra power and a larger prop be careful on take offs. The torque of the rotating mass and the short nose combined with the short wingspan will make the plane want to roll left on take off. I started will the 8 inch prop to minimize this problem.
The landings were beautiful.
Terry

SUPERSPORT
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Any updates you guys?

SUPERSPORT
04-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I found these planes in a couple of other places for $49.99. One was only $6.99 shipping in the USA.

Like where?:)

barmonkey
04-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Hey there! No updates here...the weather for the last couple of months has left me less than motivated. I really just need to to do some soldering to get back on track. Rather than use plug in extensions, I want to solder extensions to the aileron servos.

If you don't have one already, I'm afraid that you may be too late!

SUPERSPORT
04-24-2008, 11:46 PM
So they stopped making this? It says "NEW" on the website but says discontinued on every website I find it.

BTW: Is Lainer part of Great Planes? Everything from their website links to Great Planes or Hobbico. What is Lanier then?

constantCrash
04-25-2008, 01:40 AM
GP purchased Lanier late last year? and since GP already has both a SE5 and a DVII (which are supposed to be better than the lanier anyway) it's understandable that they are discontiuing them

I have yet to start work on ether my DVII or my SE5 although I do have the motor & speed controllers (E-flite park 450's with E-flite 25amp ESC.

SUPERSPORT
04-25-2008, 02:42 AM
GP purchased Lanier late last year? and since GP already has both a SE5 and a DVII (which are supposed to be better than the lanier anyway) it's understandable that they are discontiuing them

I have yet to start work on ether my DVII or my SE5 although I do have the motor & speed controllers (E-flite park 450's with E-flite 25amp ESC.

Yep. They responded to my e-mail.
"August 24th, 2007 Great Planes Model Manufacturing announced that it has acquired the Lanier R/C and Carl Goldberg product lines."

**neons**
04-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Flew my Dr-1 again on Sunday April 21. Flight 3. I put up another video in Webshots. Darn grass trips it over easily on landing. I also do not feel sure enough to fly in more that 15 mph winds yet. Wind, we get lots of that.
See my other videos also. 20 of them up there right now.
You can also catch the homebuilt Eindekker, and Das Ugl-E Stik and a variety of others. Have a look at some. http://good-times.webshots.com/vide...029027590aBbWpj

The Fokker Dr-1 specs are in this group here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=425387&page=38 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425387&page=38)

The maiden flight went almost flawless. 2 cliks down trim and that is it. The second flight was near disaster later in the day. Wind was 15mph and I had no reserve power so I kept stalling in the wind. I ended in a small tree. I got dings and one small chunky removed. Not bad though. I have it all back now as good as new again. I changed the motor over to a UH's - Hextronic DH-750. This monster has 10 more oz of thrust than the maiden motor. My Ugl-E Stick is heavy 32oz 44" wingspan. It is 41oz with floats. This Hextronic motor puts out 42oz thrust on a APC thinblade 12X6 prop 22amps on a Zippy 1800. It flies that plane around in the winds. It is in a recent video also. This other motor coming out will go in the Eindekker.
Enjoy,
**Neons** Bob

constantCrash
08-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Over the past few days I finally got around to building the SE 5.

First, sorry for no pics I just didn't feel like fighting my POS camera.

Zippy 1800mah 3 cell lipo
E-flite 25 amp ESC
E-flite park 450
11 x 7 GWS prop (will prop down to 11x4.7)
Hitech 55 servos.

First thing I had to do was to dremel out the front of the battery box so that the 1800 mah battery would fit. I got rid of everything below the motor box and cut out most of the front most former and the lip at the front of the battery hatch. There isn't much wood left at the front bottom but it won't be holding much if any weight so it's alright.
Second, I took the motor stick that's supplied and cut it just long enough to fit above the battery box floor. This gives me a nice stout non-moving brace to wrap a velcro strap around so when I put the battery in, it is actually supported by that brace and the velcro NOT the bottom of the plane. I used a shorter screw to hold the hatch holder on with some washers so that the screw isn't poking throught the plywood inside the plane at all.

The motor is mounted to the firewall using the X mount and about 3 mm of spacers to get it out far enough. I had to dremel the lip of the cowl at the motor hole so the motor didn't rub.

With the 1800mah battery the CG was close enough with the finger test and yesterday's maiden was completely uneventfull. Mine does need a good bit of right aileron trim because the wings are warped a bit causing it to want to roll left. I tried my best to figure out what was causing the warp but couldn't find anything.

12 minute flight at less than half throttle resulted in 60% of the battery left. It is a bit pitch sensitive so I put 50% expo on the elevator and ailerons. Landings were as gental as a feather. For right now I'm using the stock wheels but do plan on getting something else to replace them.

By far the hardest part of this build was threading the aileron wires. Lainer did not proved holes in the formers, just slots that will only fit the plugs if they are completely flat. I first tried to use tape to hold the extensions on, and that worked for one of them, but the second one came loose at the worse possible place and I didn't notice it until control check. It took about 2 1/2 hours to re-thread some metal fishing line through the wing (using a 30" Du-bro pushrod) and then another 3 attempts to get the aileron wire through. This time I used some of the metal fishing line to wrap around the extension to hold it together.

It does fly quite nice even with the warped wing. It's very slow and sensitive to wind.

**neons**
08-18-2008, 02:02 AM
CC,
Great to hear that you have finished your SE 5. It must feel good to look at the finished product. I hope you have many succesful hours of flying your plane. The pleasure is well worth the building time. Happy flights,
**Neons** Bob

constantCrash
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I made it 4 flights before the wheels on my SE5 gave way. These wheels suck ;-). I'm debating between putting 3" dubro puddgy's on and throw scale out the window or purchasing the Great Planes SE5 wheels.

Anybody know how the GP wheels hold up?

degreen60
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I made it 4 flights before the wheels on my SE5 gave way. These wheels suck ;-). I'm debating between putting 3" dubro puddgy's on and throw scale out the window or purchasing the Great Planes SE5 wheels.

Anybody know how the GP wheels hold up?

The wheels on the GP SE5A have held up to my crashes so far, I have bent the landing gear several times and broke the plastic axle in two. The wheels look ok on the outside but the inside has no cover. As you can see I have painted my wheels blue. The wheels are easy to paint cause the tire is easy to take off.

constantCrash
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the info DeGreen, now only if they wern't out of stock.

barmonkey
08-25-2008, 09:16 PM
The Electrifly Fokker D.Vii are the same...check for those....but the wheels on your Lanier are a bit larger (about 3 1/2") the Electrifly wheels are just shy of 3".

BUCKSHOT
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
just got this plane from a friend,he built it & never flew it, i have the DVII...IT SUX
GONNA TRY & UNDER POWER THIS ONE A BIT,READY FOR MAIDEN ...STOCK BRUSHED MOTOR/3S1320
I TOO HAVE THE GP WHEELS ....LANIER WHEELS SUCK

constantCrash
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Never happy with a stock plane i've started sprucing it up just a tad:

First of all, I originally had a E-flite park 450 in this thing running an 11x7 prop. Way more power than needed but it few nice. but I've got an E-flite p-38 waiting to be built and it needed the 450 so i purchased a BP 2212 motor to replace the 450 along with a BP 30 amp esc.

Currently I'm running a 9x8 E prop which is to much pitch and not enough thrust so i have to fly faster than I want. but the motor is closer to ideal. I need a new prop adapter to fit a different prop. i'm thinking 11x4.7 should do the trick Lots of thrust, slow pitch.

the GP DRI triplane wheels i purchased to replace the POS stock ones are working out well. The size difference is unnoticeable.

I'm in the process of painting the struts and landing gear brown instead of green, and I painted inside the cowl area black so it dosen't stick out so much. I'm thinking about replacing the Struts completely with some plywood and wire to make them more realistic and get rid of the middle of the N parts.

I haven't really flown this plane much, partly because it dosn't like wind much and partly because it's not finished yet. But It's definitely a keeper.

BUCKSHOT
10-17-2008, 01:48 AM
I installed a dualsky 3530 ca 12,30 amp esc,electrafly fokker wheels ....love it...fly good at scale speeds or a little more

BUCKSHOT
10-19-2008, 04:19 AM
I had the d vii first ....hated it ...still have the stripped carcass ..
Se5a flies much better

BUCKSHOT
11-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Anyone know where to find replacement parts for lanier ?

constantCrash
11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
You could try calling tower hobbies to see if they have anything back in the werehouse, but these planes are discontinued so you won't be getting any new parts.

BUCKSHOT
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Great planes has the cowl,the gun & the pilot is all that's left

peterp1964
11-06-2008, 02:31 AM
does anyone know what the parts in the pic are supposed to
be for ? I'm almost done with my SE5A and did not get a
chance to use these ????

barmonkey
11-06-2008, 06:03 AM
I think I remember those...I have absolutly no idea what they were for! Motor mount spacers?

peterp1964
11-07-2008, 12:09 AM
thanks Bar, I think you're correct.

Well, I made my own ply spacer:roll: duh!

I'm almost ready for maiden...motor is customcdr triple (20mm)
(wound with 9T of 23awg, pretty low KV) and battery is Polyquest
3S 1500 mAh...prop is gws 1060 DD, but I may go to 1170 although
the plane feels it's going to be a floater (no, not in the swamp
behind the tree line at the field:p>)

Oh, the lower left wing panel was warped but the iron fixed that
in no time.

Peter

BUCKSHOT
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Would like to buy lanier se5a ....or parts

constantCrash
11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
peter, Be carefull with the stock wheels, they will break on your first not-light-as-a-feather landing. I purchased tom Great Planes SE5 wheels to replace them. works out better.

BUCKSHOT
11-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Yup ....wheel's suck,
i have a friend rebuilding my lower wing....(tree bite)
just got it flying well 3536ca12,25/50 3s1300 vampower 30 amp esc

peterp1964
12-13-2008, 06:16 AM
I maidened mine last week...what a sweet flyer ! cg at 3/4 of an inch (not
at 1 inch) and flies like a charm.

take-off after a few feet, slight torque turn to the left, ailerons very
effective, zero trim.

excellent glider too :tc: lands like a feather...wheels survived for another
day.

ps. I know, I have to install the "engine" !

peterp1964
12-23-2008, 09:38 PM
and here is a flight pic: