PDA

View Full Version : Soarstar with Eskay400XT

Warden
12-10-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking of re-powering my Soarstar. Currently it uses a 380 motor, 1.85:1 gearbox and an 8X4 prop running on 8 cells. I'm really not looking for more power as the plane files fine as is but I am thinking of replacing the stock geared motor with a 400XT outrunner. I'm thinking I'd have similar power with less weight. Whaddaya think? If the 400XT wouldn't fit the bill, what motor would.......Suggestions appreciated.

qban_flyer
12-10-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm thinking of re-powering my Soarstar. Currently it uses a 380 motor, 1.85:1 gearbox and an 8X4 prop running on 8 cells. I'm really not looking for more power as the plane files fine as is but I am thinking of replacing the stock geared motor with a 400XT outrunner. I'm thinking I'd have similar power with less weight. Whaddaya think? If the 400XT wouldn't fit the bill, what motor would.......Suggestions appreciated.

Warden,

You and I must be thinking along the same lines. I've been toying with the idea of fitting a 400XT to my SoarStar swinging an 8X6SF APC propeller and a 7.4V 1320 Thunder Power or a 7.4V 1500 KOKAM pack for the past three to four weeks. Fitting the 400XT to the SoarStar should be a simple thing to do.

The 400XT should haul the SoarStar up with no problems. The savings in motor and battery pack weight alone should be in the order of five to seven ounces. The Soarstar won't need all the power the 400XT will furnish, but it is there just in case it is needed. Then if I feel like turning it into a climbing speed demon, I can always go to an 11.1V pack!

The same should apply to a Wingo! :D