PDA

View Full Version : My first Plane

Stig atle steffensen
12-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Hello to you all, i'm stig atle steffensen, and i live in kristiansand in norway.
I became interested in Rc-helis some time ago, but now i wanted to try out planes aswell, and yesterday i found a cheap plane, ready to fly out of the box.
not sure if you all would call it a sailplane, or something inbetween, but i decided to post in here, if i'm wrong, then it was not intended :)

Only experience i have is simulator, but i've spent alot of time in sim's, and my experience is that planes is the coolest :)

So now it's charging, and in about 2 hrs i'll set out to try my second attempt.

Yesterday the propeller broke, because i did not throw it har enough, and since the "speed" is on the back of the controller i get confused when i have to turn it off when something get's wrong very quick..

wish me luck :) i'll post up here later today, when i get back from the field.

Don Sims
12-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the site! Good luck on your next flights and don't get frustrated.

Stig atle steffensen
12-11-2005, 11:44 AM
thank you very much :)
only 20 minutes left of charging, and then i'm off :)
packed all my stuff, heli too, and it's nice and calm outside, going to be interesting!

debhicks
12-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Good luck and take your time. It's a good looking plane and should serve you well as both a trainer and looks like it may soar fine too.

I soar my aerobird challenger a lot. I am the only one that can seem to get any thermal at my field. My primary plane is a soar star. Love it. Great too for training. Started with a Sig LT 40 and a sim. Solo'd in about 4 hours of real flight time.

It's always good to get with someone experienced that can give you some help.

Good luck and Have fun. :)

Stig atle steffensen
12-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I am back, and i must say that i'll never get back to heli's.
planes is so much more fun!
I took my heli with me, but i did not even use that at all!

It goes faster then my heli,
i can fly longer distances
longer flight-time.
and it's almost a relaxing feel to it :)

It's so nice to shut down the engine, and just let it glide trough the air.

I flied alot in circles, and managed to do that fine,
and flying with the plane facing towards me also went fine (i cant do that with my heli, always crash then).

posted up a video from today :
http://home.minlos.no/~stigatle.steffensen/rc-plane/stigatle.steffensen.protech.airblade.WMV

This video has my most succesfull landing.
i crashed alot of times, but no damage on the plane at all,
it even landed in a tree, with no damage.
And some times it was like a javelin stuck into the ground,
but it wass a grass-field, with some wet soil on it, so it took off
the most of the impact.

I cant wait untill next time i'm going to fly!

Don Sims
12-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Congrats of the great flights! There are a lot of fine electric gliders out there for thermalling.

Steve
12-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Way to go Stig! That looks like a great plane to learn on. I've been thinking of going to heli's myself, but everytime I get that thought, I think of all the planes I still want to build/modify and before you know it, whatever money I had is gone....batteries, servos, receivers, etc.

Welcome to WattFlyer!

Stig atle steffensen
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
yeah, heli's cost alot, i could have bought almost 3 of them instead of buying parts, because it breaks so easily.

the plane i have now, stalled, and went straight to the ground from maybe 6-8M with engine on, nose down, and no damage is done,
when my heli did det i can tell you that it cost ALOT :)

Steve
12-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Ow.

I recently built a Unicorn 48" wing and really love flying it. It's underpowered at the moment, but I'm in the process of cutting the wings back and installing a better motor.

That will be a spring project now that the ground is covered with snow. I'll be putting floats on a foamie I built for snow flying.

It's amazing that you can drive these EPP wings into the ground and just pick them up and re-launch! Hard to do that with a balsa plane...

:o

Stig atle steffensen
12-15-2005, 09:37 AM
going out now for my second flight!
I'm really excited ;)
i'll bring my camera along today too,
so that i can post some more vids. or images.

Stig atle steffensen
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
I crashed my plane 2 weeks ago, and i have not fixed it yet, it seems that the reciever broke, because i looked at it closely, and a component was broken.. and the motor got broken too..

i bought a new reciever, and hooked it up, but still no motion on the servos when i use the controller, and no power goes to the engine..
but the guy at the store said that if it did not work, then i needed a new chrystal, so i'll go and get new ones tomorrow..

Stig atle steffensen
01-30-2006, 12:47 PM
They finally got my engine for my plane, so today the first thing i'm gonna do after work, is to go straight to the shop and get it!
I'm soo happy right now :)
been missing my plane alot, been flying a slowflyer the last week.. it is not the same by far :)

Stig atle steffensen
02-01-2006, 10:57 AM
well, i attached the engine, and tested it in the livingroom, but when i got out it would not work, i tried everything, so today i bought a new speedcontroller, and it finally works, so now i'm going out to fly again, finally!

Don Sims
02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Great news Stig. Enjoy the flights and hope you don't have further problems.

Stig atle steffensen
02-02-2006, 05:30 PM
heh, when i wrote the above post, i was fixing my plane, and i was fixing the wire that goes to one of the flaps (sorry for my bad terminology).
and i broke it.. but i've had time to fix\replace it today, but now it's dark, so i'll wait untill tomorrow to fly.

but i tried a friends plane today, he has a simmilar one, and i did loops and all kinds of other "tricks".. so i'm really excited about tomorrow, i guess the time at work will go really fast :)

i will make my gf film when she has time, so i'll post up during the weekend.

i've tried some other planes the past week, broken them all (crashes)
.. but sailplane is by far the best plane, and the type of plane i feel comfortable with, so i guess i'll stick with that type of plane then ;)

Stig atle steffensen
02-03-2006, 02:52 PM
WOW, what a fantastic start on the weekend :)
i came home from work, and there was my el-glider, waiting to be tested after yesterday's fixing.
i ran to the field, power on full, and did not land untill i was forced to, then i put in the other battery i have, and launched it again, and i did not land untill i had to this time either..

I can fly this one without any problems at all, doing some tricks, and flying some patterns (i guess it's what it's called).

first thing tomorrow is to get up when the sun does, and go fly, and then charge, and then fly some more :)

btw; i think ive found out what plane i want next :
Protech Unlimited 600,
or a
Protech Alfa 180 V2
anyone of you that have tried one of these?