PDA

View Full Version : Using New 401 Gyro On Trex450 - Comments

FlyBob
01-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Howdy All ----

Well, in the final steps of lashing up my new Trex450SEV2. I have installed a Futaba 401 gyro, have had it a while, and could not find the how-to sheet that came with it. I am also using a DX7 with a 6100e receiver. I THINK I have the settings right, but for those 401 vets out there, here is my lash up.

A. Set my DX7 for using the GEAR receiver output for rate change with the rate change plug in the GEAR slot on the receiver.

B. Set my DS (digital servo) switch on the gyro to ON since I am using a Futaba S9650 as the rotor pitch servo.

C. I will be flying it in Tail-Hold mode.

D. Dual Rate set up for Manual Mode.

E. Revo-Mix all set to zero.

I think I have hit all the important settings? What say -- comments??

Thanks -- Bob ;)

birdDog
01-14-2008, 01:36 AM
They make a real nice set-up!!!
I drilled a new hole in the servo plate so I could get the ball right next to the pinion. I used the far servo holes on the close servo mount holes. Lines up very nicely. I filled the top corner of the plate (servo arm) so it gets good clearance from the boom. This tail is WICKED!!! Make sure to get your throttle rpms (curve) nice and high. I am still tuning but this setup seems phenomenal!!

Finless makes some VERY good points in this vid....stuff you don't find in the manuals.

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=finless/trex450&filename=gyro_setup.wmv

FlyBob
01-14-2008, 04:19 AM
Hi BirdDog ----
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am real close to nailing it, if not there already :-) --- as it turns out, my servo install for the tail is almost identical to yours except I just used a different shape of crank arm for the link up. The tilted servo mount works nicely to keep the control rod linear as possible. Works well. I have not flown the first lash up yet --- still doing some final set up and alignment. Will soon be time to take some "brave pills" and fly it :tc:

Thanks!!!

birdDog
01-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Well, pulled a couple rh piros about 75 feet up. Just kept spinning around and into the frozen ground.:{. Tail pitch lever looks like it let loose, maybee. Amazing how a little tiny piece of plastic can keep this whole system running smoothly, and bring it to the ground. Was a pretty spectacular impact though. I know I had the 401 limit set with some clearance. I know I did. New parts list: Seeseaw and mixing levers, 2 main grips, flybar control setand bar, some missing links and balls and a couple nicks on the fiberglass blades. Amazingly the main and feathering shafts look great! I will still check them in a lathe, but what a surprise after cutting my teeth on a blade cp! My new baby.:( She will be rebuilt even stronger!

Curtis
01-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Bob,

Futaba has the GY401 manual online for download at their website.

FlyBob
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes, Curtis, I did finally stumble across that data sheet --- Thanks !! :D

birdDog
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM
WOW! Started thinking that the way my trex fell from the sky, maybee my autorotate bearing let loose on me in flight. It is not anygood now that it is on the ground. No power, very little control, etc.
I called Horizon today from work (on a whim) and asked for warranty dept. Stated my case and that I felt the bearing probably went bad. Here is where it gets good. The gentleman on the phone asked what all parts I replaced and purchased and is sending me ALL of them! No questions asked! This will leave me a nice go-to pile of replacements!

I was considering a CopterX for a second bird. After dealing with Align's support, I am definately a die-hard T-rex fan. Support from china and a copterX? Yeah right!

Align RULES!:$

FlyBob
01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Yes, the folks at Align are good. I discussed my problem with them to see if I could get some inputs. They were very helpful and talked my ear off --- they do provide us with a quality product and good service.

My next bird is going to be a Trex 600. Since I like to build and fly scale and sport, they are the only way to go. Lots of support, parts, aftermarket parts, etc.

Good choice --- Bob ;-)