PDA

View Full Version : AXI timing with CC ESC's?

Turbojoe
12-11-2005, 11:39 PM
I have a 2212/34 that I'm totally unimpressed with. Throttle response from about 1/3 to 3/4 throttle is best described as mushy. I'd like a nice linear response like all my other motors. How do the AXI motors respond to ESC timing changes? I'm thinking of advancing mine to see if that helps. I won't be able to fly it again until next weekend to test it though. I've tried it with a Phoenix 10 and 25. It runs the same regardless.

Joe

ragbag
12-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Without looking it up all Axi's are hard timed, Throttle is auto.

By George

Turbojoe
12-12-2005, 12:09 AM
You can set the timing to "low", "standard" and "high" in the CC Phoenix ESC's.

Joe

ragbag
12-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Sorry about that.

Right, hard is the cutoff, Hobby Lobby recommends High advance on all Axi motors. I do have a few.

By George

Dr Kiwi
12-12-2005, 01:01 AM
I have a 2212/34 that I'm totally unimpressed with. Throttle response from about 1/3 to 3/4 throttle is best described as mushy. I'd like a nice linear response like all my other motors. How do the AXI motors respond to ESC timing changes? I'm thinking of advancing mine to see if that helps. I won't be able to fly it again until next weekend to test it though. I've tried it with a Phoenix 10 and 25. It runs the same regardless.

Joe

What size prop are you running on it, and what pack - if you are overloading it, it may not want to spool up the way it will with a smaller prop. Mine runs superbly on the default settings with 10x6 GWS HD or 11x7 GWS HD.

Turbojoe
12-12-2005, 01:16 AM
What size prop are you running on it, and what pack - if you are overloading it, it may not want to spool up the way it will with a smaller prop. Mine runs superbly on the default settings with 10x6 GWS HD or 11x7 GWS HD.

Phil,

I'm running TP 3S1P 1320 Pro-Lites or Gen II's and an APC 10x4.7 or 11x4.7 SF prop. Spool up is not a problem. The throttle response just isn't as linear as any of my other motors. It's almost flat between 1/3 and 3/4 throttle. Above 3/4 it's okay. It's almost like a 2 stroke bike that has to "come on the pipe".

Joe

Turbojoe
12-12-2005, 01:50 AM
Okay, this has been eating at me so I stopped everything else I was working on and did a little test.

With TP Gen II's and an APC 11x4.7 SF prop on std timing I got 3.5 amps and 44 watts at 1/2 throttle and 9.6 amps and 103 watts at full throttle.
On high timing I got 3.5 amps and 42 watts at 1/2 throttle and 9.5 amps and 101 watts at full throttle. I don't think the timing change made any difference at all. The slight drop in amps and watts is from the pack dropping off during the test.

I tried something I've never had to do with any other motor. I added positive expo on the throttle channel. 60% to be exact. I won't get to fly again until this weekend but holding it in my hand there is a noticeably more linear control now. Amps and watts are up across the range except at full throttle which stayed the same. Maybe I'll be a little happier with this motor now. I was getting ready to sell it and buy another Himax!

Joe