PDA

View Full Version : Microstamp glitches?

FlyWheel
01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
I've read of instances where the Berg MS 4/4L recievers can glitch when they're close to the transmitter. Since close to the TX usually means close to the ground, this is the last place I want RX failures, even short ones. Do you have any comments about this, or remedies to prevent it?

I'm considering using one of these in my new EasyStar. And as I'm still a beginner with slower reflexes, this is important to me.

Thanx.

barmonkey
01-16-2008, 02:08 AM
I will confidently say that there is no such thing as a glitch-free system! Even the miracle Spektrum and other 2.4 Ghz systems have glitches.

As far as the Berg 4L goes...I can happily say that I have been using 2 of them with no signs of glitching...knock on wood. I have also read elsewhere that some have had issues with them...but that can be found on any receiver. One thing...if you haven't noticed...on any forum...or anywhere where people are allowed to comment...on any topic...it's easy to find negative feedback. At the same time, unfortunatly, Crap does exist.

To ensure good performance, make sure your Receiver is as far away from your other electronics as possible (ESC, battery), make sure the antenna is not touching or wrapped around anything metal (landing gear), and don't use a bobbin (coiling the antenna).

Just my two cents...Happy Flying!

FlyWheel
01-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I will confidently say that there is no such thing as a glitch-free system! Even the miracle Spektrum and other 2.4 Ghz systems have glitches.

As far as the Berg 4L goes...I can happily say that I have been using 2 of them with no signs of glitching...knock on wood. I have also read elsewhere that some have had issues with them...but that can be found on any receiver. One thing...if you haven't noticed...on any forum...or anywhere where people are allowed to comment...on any topic...it's easy to find negative feedback. At the same time, unfortunatly, Crap does exist.

To ensure good performance, make sure your Receiver is as far away from your other electronics as possible (ESC, battery), make sure the antenna is not touching or wrapped around anything metal (landing gear), and don't use a bobbin (coiling the antenna).

Just my two cents...Happy Flying!

Thanks for saying that, I was considering tucking the RX up under the hood, right along side the battery http://mescal.pixelized.ch/smilies/shock.gif! I thought this would be safe because DC doesn't emit RF, and the antenna was to be strung out outside and under the EPP fuse towards the tail.

I'll place it on the back wall of the cockpit instead, any suggestions on how to shield it from the other electronics? Or will this placement be safe on it's own? It will only be 3" away from the pack..

Dorsal
01-17-2008, 04:58 AM
The battery pack is a pretty benign piece of "electronics". just put it as far as you can from the ESC and you should be fine.
Routing your antenna is very important also - keep it as straight as you can, routing it along the fuselage and up over the rudder or down under the elevator or along the underside of the wing.

Joe Ford
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
By close to the tx we mean within a foot of it with the antenna fully collapsed and just SWAMPING the receiver with noise...this is usually when you're programming your transmitter. I have these in everything from flat foamies to my 160mph+ pylon racers. No worries here. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm always happy to help.

barmonkey and dorsal...thanks for the help guys. :)

FlyWheel
01-18-2008, 02:10 AM
The battery pack is a pretty benign piece of "electronics". just put it as far as you can from the ESC and you should be fine.
Routing your antenna is very important also - keep it as straight as you can, routing it along the fuselage and up over the rudder or down under the elevator or along the underside of the wing.

No problem. The EZ* is designed with a slot along the entire underside of the fuselage expressly for the antenna wire, which I was intending to use (just how long is the antenna wire for a 72MHz?) anyway.

Also, I'll tuck the RX under the hood alongside the battery pack as originally planned, but stick the ESC on the back wall of the cockpit. That should keep both it and the motor as far away from the reciever as possible. Thanks all of you. this is my first "build" and I'm probaly just being too cautious. Chalk it up to "greenie-paranoia". :red:

FlyWheel
02-23-2008, 12:53 AM
I decided on the MS4L. Got it, read the instructions and set everything up. But for some reason channel 2 wouldn't respond. tried the same servo on Ch1 and it worked fine, not the servo. So I tried it on Ch 4, again no go. Not knowing if it was the reciever or the transmitter (and having no way to check either) I took everything back to my LHS. They fiddled with it for a minute or two, them noticed the color coding on the reciever. I had the servo plugged in backwards (I plugged them both in facing the same way instead of mirrored).
http://mescal.pixelized.ch/smilies/beatin.gif

Everything seems to be fine now. You might want to mention the color code strip in future instruction sheets though, for us stoopid newbies.:o