PDA

View Full Version : Desoutter Mk1

tim hooper
12-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Just thought I'd share some pics of the latest project (if that's all right with you .....)

The restored, full-size Desoutter flies regularly as part of the Shuttleworth Collection here in the UK, and inspired me to have a bash at one myself if only for the colour scheme!

The Dessie spans 41", weighs 17oz, is covered in Soliite and Litespan. There's a 'bell' outrunner lurking in the nose, turning an 8x4 GWS prop (painted black), powered by a 2S1P 1600 Li-po.

I've made that dangly undercart with working suspension, so it replicates the droopy inflight look of the real aeroplane.

The model flies very nicely with some rudder mixed-in to the ailerons.

tim

jungmann1
12-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Beautiful, Tim! Looks like a great candidate for a free plan in FSM, if you can pry space away from Peter Rake! That black, orange and aluminum is a classic beauty of a scheme. Like you said, it was worth doing just for that. It is going to be published, isn't it? Keep it up. John.

tim hooper
12-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the feed back, John! :)

I'll be submitting the plan to Traplet Publications in the hope that it will be published in Quiet and Electric Flight International magazine some time in the new year.

tim

Bill G
12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Looks quite a bit like a Fairchild 24. Your Desoutter has about the most cambered wheels I've ever seen on an aircraft. Does that feature help with ground handling? Always wondered why so many planes (ex. ME-109) have such cambered wheels.
On a different note, saw a new Waco bipe Dumas kit at the HS yesterday. Thought about your very clean looking beige and blue one, in FSM. May just have to get the plane, and use that scheme, as I'm always looking for refreshing schemes, vs the most common solid color schemes.

rcers
12-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Tim - amazing as usual. Great job. I suspect it is a pleasure to fly as well.

Mike

tim hooper
12-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Bill,

Appearances are deceptive! The suspension actually works on the Dessie, so that when it's on the ground those big telescopic struts shorten to let the lower radius arms swivel up, thus letting the wheels become vertical!

I'm sure the Dumas Waco will fly beautifully! There's a whole host of colour schemes available, but I really liked the cream/blue as there was no pin-striping!

Mike,

Thanks for the comment! Those oversize ailerons are surprisingly soft, whilst that little rudder is pretty powerful and needs to be treated with care. It'll flick roll.............:eek:

tim

rcers
12-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Tim - I bet!

I want to do the Storch from the "last" June 05 issue of RCM (here in the US). LG is somewhat similar and it sure would be great to do functional!

Mike

Bill G
12-23-2005, 04:28 AM
Bill,

Appearances are deceptive! The suspension actually works on the Dessie, so that when it's on the ground those big telescopic struts shorten to let the lower radius arms swivel up, thus letting the wheels become vertical!

I'm sure the Dumas Waco will fly beautifully! There's a whole host of colour schemes available, but I really liked the cream/blue as there was no pin-striping!

Mike,

Thanks for the comment! Those oversize ailerons are surprisingly soft, whilst that little rudder is pretty powerful and needs to be treated with care. It'll flick roll.............:eek:

tim
That pic shows the positive camber curve on the suspension a bit better. Just like a car suspension. Nice setup. Wonder how it handles on the road?
I built a spring loaded steerable nosewheel for an ME262 in the past. Built a steerable-retractable nosewheel for my recent Meteor, although it was difficult enough to work out all the mechanics (perfectly closing door, etc), without a functional oleo strut.

Dereck
12-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi Tim
Just got my January QEFI - must take it to the vet's and have it inoculated against Uglymodel fever! Your Wendy is something else, and congratulations on solving all the intricasies of such a different layout - be interesting to see what you come up with this one. That working UC is neat - been too long since I had a model with a UC that did something interesting beyond keep the wheels spaced out, and I recall it was a lot nicer to land than most rigid gear models.

Must keep an eye out for it being published - it's hard to find the other Brit rags over here, than QEFI

Happy New Year

Dereck

tim hooper
01-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Happy New Year

Dereck

Dereck,

Happy New Year to you too!:)

It's been people such as yourself and Peter Rake, Mark Rittenger, Ian Easton, etc., who really gave me the confidence to have a bash at, firstly, writing reviews and then, more recently, to designing my own models.

tim

Mike Parsons
01-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Beautiful Tim!