PDA

View Full Version : LiPo taps

radarguy
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I have just ordered a Hyperion LiPo balancer and a couple of new Hyperion LiPo packs. I would like to add balance taps to my existing four packs, one is definitely a Kokam pack, the other packs look like Kokams but may be clones. I understand the wiring requirements and the inherent danger of accidental shorts or wiring errors, but I am not sure what I will find when I remove the shrink wrap. eg. are the internal connections aluminium (or is that aluminum in US english)? Are there any traps or dangers other than accidental shorts and wiring errors? :eek:

Regards, Brian

ragbag
12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Not sure what vintage the packs you have in hand.

The older Kokam, E-tec and Thunderpower just had tabs, very easy to add taps, if you are up to it.

The tabs are a metal that is very easy to solder, use a good grade of solder.

Next generation Kokams have a cicuit board and realy make it easier with the right irons, steady hands and good eyes.

I haven't had reason to go into any of my newer packs as they have taps already. From what I read on the threads some of the packs are double wrapped in tapes and stuff making it a little harder to get into.

We have been putting taps on for a while now and it does make a differnce in the life of them and safer.

Safer is nice.:)

By George

Bud Orren
12-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Will somebody please explain what lipo tabs mean, what they look like and what they do. Bud Orren

everydayflyer
12-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Tabs are the terminals(contacts) for the cells. The positive is aluminum and the negative is nickel.
Taps are leads connected to these tabs and most often there is one to each power output + - and one to each series connection point and have a connector on them used for checking cell voltage and balancing.

Charles

Bud Orren
12-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanx-Do I really have to know all this to use lipo. I have several and a lipo charger. I just connect the charged battery to the ESC and it seems to work. Is this over simplistic? Bud

everydayflyer
12-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Some think so and some do not .I believe the more information / knowledge one possesses the better off they are.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28058&postcount=2

Charles

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 03:28 AM
I am going to possiblly repeat a very life threatening dead battery story.
Dead battery was drained of the acid and had Baking Soda Powder poured into each cell ( big forktruck battery) by a battery lab technician and put in a corner. 5 minutes later, BAANG! Lead plate went straight up and put a nice dent in the steel roof 30' high. Kind of makes you know you are dealing with explosives when things go wrong with no warning. You have been warned. Exploding winter frozen car batteries that explode when the jumpers are accidently reversed.
Technologly can bite the cra# out of you.
It is NOT a simple PR of plug and play.
Learn about what you want to do, way before you start to do it.