PDA

View Full Version : K&A Models Grumman G-73 Mallard

Maine Flyer
01-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I bought this kit/arf on sale last spring and finally got it finished - well, almost -last week. Need a few details yet.

It is painted with AppleBarrel Acrylics - Bright Yellow & Nutmet Brown. Then covered with 3 coats of Polycrylic. That makes the paint stand out better. Sheeted wing is fiberglassed with 3/4oz cloth and Polycrylic. Reinforced in center with heavier cloth and epoxy first. This is my first painted model and I learned a lot. Mainly, Preparation! Preparation! Preparation! All of the flaws show up and I know where they all are!

Took it out for one short flight due to high winds. It flew OK considering the wind. I at least got to test the differential motor steering and it works fine. I would think it will work even better on water. I will probably have to adjust the mixes to refine the steering on the water.

I made a short video of taxing around the field with one hand on the transmitter and the other running the camera! (http://www.modelaviators.org/2008/Videos/2008Videos.htm) Mallard Steering

Mine came out heavy (50.2 ozs) as I used two TP 3S1P Prolites in parallel to balance the plane. This was designed in the days of older battery technology and Speed 400 motors. Of course, I probably have a pound or two of paint on there!!!!

Powered by 2 Model Motors AXI AC2208/20 Silver and 2 CC Thunderbird 18 ESCs with MA 6x4x3 props. Right side is using a Pusher prop so motors are counter rotating (added later). Motocalc says 281 watts. Connecting up a EagleTree eLogger on the bench shows 379 watts. Usually never see that much difference between Motocalc and eLogger.

I originally had tape for the aileron hinge but as someone mentioned, it really didn't look all that good on this model so I removed the tape and added Dubro hinges. It does look better now.

Spektrum Dx7
Spektrum AR7000

Joe

Jim Casey
01-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Beautiful Job!!
I'll send you all my planes to paint.
You were right to change the tape.....

Maine Flyer
01-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Jim, Thanks!:)
To be honest, I use tape so much that I didn't even give it a thought but once brought to my attention - and looking at the photos! - it was apparent it had to go. It came off easier than I thought it would. Just took my time.

Joe

Grasshopper
01-20-2008, 02:33 PM
WOW! Very nice Joe. I'll bet it looks beautiful in flight.

Maine Flyer
01-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Tom, Thanks!
I was a bit nervous during that short flight so I really can't picture it in my mind at the moment. Looking forward to more fresh powder snow and have someone photograph it flight.

Joe

alienx
01-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Geez, that's a beauty!! I thought it was plastic until I read your post.

Do you have a link to the model?

Nice work.

Maine Flyer
01-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks, alienx :)

Do you have a link to the model?

Here is the link.
http://kamodels.com/

Joe

alienx
01-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks!

Maine Flyer
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Added a few decals. Now waiting for soft snow to fly from.
Made them with Avery Clear Sheet Label stock for inkjets and sealed the print with Clear Acrylic Sealer Matte from Patrica Nimocks purchased at Michaels.

Did some testing before spraying that on the Polycrylic.
Joe

Bill G
02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Looks nice Joe.
The glass kits really seem like the way to go for seaplanes. Solves a lot of issues.

Hopefully I'll get my Seabee up soon.
Got a twin PBY still waiting for a maiden too.

pd1
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Outstanding finish.
Never knew the acrylics could look that good.

Paul.

Maine Flyer
02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks, Guys.:)

Bill, Nice to see you back. Looks like we will see more of the Seabee! What are the specs of the PBY, Bill?

This is a nice fiberglass fuselage kit and it came out OK for the first time painting. Next time, I will do a better job on prep before painting because all the mistakes/bad areas, etc really show. The idea of acrylics comes from a friend that uses it on his glow planes - well sealed against slime! Was rather dull finish until I put the Polycrylic finish over it.

The fiberglass does solve the issues of wet balsa where you can't get to it. I had the tail section fall off my Seamaster last fall when it decided to land at a rather steep angle near shore and nose hit bottom. Found water had got in somehow and softened the balsa.

Joe

Bill G
02-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Its been so long since I built the PBY I can hardly remember the details.:D
It has 400 motors now, but it is in the back of my head to change it to bl, before flying it. It really is't that heavy from memory, since the wing is not sheeted, and the fuse has light 1/32" sheeting. It has massive wing area for a Guillows kit, and I remember the wing loading calc wasn't too bad.

Maine Flyer
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
A very short video of the Mallard on liftoff Sat.
Matt Dyer provided the raw video footage.

Joe

http://www.modelaviators.org/2008/Videos/Mallard%20Takeoff%20HD.wmv