PDA

View Full Version : Martin Mars Video

BradT
01-21-2008, 04:51 AM
Here's a link to some footage of the huge Martin Mars water bomber doing a demo in Vancouver harbour the other day for the truck loggers convention. The video was taken by a clubmate of mine, Larry DeFehr. These monster planes are really amazing to see in operation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ab6cZVzcWU

Enjoy the show.

Brad.

Maine Flyer
01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Brad,
THANKS!! :):) What a great video of a fantastic seaplane! Really enjoyed that.

Joe

firemanbill
01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
WOW! That is awesome! Thanks Brad!:D

TLyttle
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Six decades old, and they have yet to build anything to replace those two birds...

guest001
01-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Here's a link to some footage of the huge Martin Mars water bomber doing a demo in Vancouver harbour the other day for the truck loggers convention. The video was taken by a clubmate of mine, Larry DeFehr. These monster planes are really amazing to see in operation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ab6cZVzcWU

Enjoy the show.

Brad.

Fantastic: were you in Stanley Park?

Sparky Paul
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
It was down here during the November fires, and got ZERO media coverage!
Here's a link to professional images of it and the CL-415s, which also get no coverage here..
http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php/topic,2576.150.html

BradT
01-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Dave, my friend Larry shot that from Canada Place, a couple of km. East of the park; you can see the crowd along the railings in some of the footage.

TLyttle, I agree, there's nothing today to compare to the capacity and slow delivery abilities of the 2 Mars. I was very happy to see Coulson buy them and keep them here in B.C. when they went up for sale last year. It would have been a shame to see them go elsewhere, especially as "static display' pieces. They must cost a fortune to keep up, though!

Brad.

cyclops2
02-01-2008, 01:43 AM
I imagine they are rigged to dump several thousand gallons of water on each pass over any fire in progress. :)

Rich

Next smaller Martin boat.

vax6335
02-01-2008, 01:50 AM
I love CL-415's! They are so unique

Fly Time
02-01-2008, 11:40 PM
If you ever find yourself on Vancouver Island, B.C. (and you should because it is a beautiful place!), stop by Sproat Lake to visit the home base for this airplane and its sister ship. Both are in flying condition. My brother was there last year and talked his way onto one of them for a tour. I wasn't so lucky when I visited, but they are really spectacular planes to see in person.

TLyttle
02-02-2008, 02:26 AM
My buddy went there with his canoe, and was welcomed aboard for a tour. However, pull alongside with a powerboat, and be prepared for a very unfriendly reception; too many stupid powerboat owners, apparently...

BradT
02-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Funny you should mention the canoe, Terry. A friend and his wife were camping at Sproat Lake about 10 years ago, and had their canoe out for a paddle past the moored Mars. When they were close, a crew member called them over, and they spent several hours on board, with my buddy crawling through the wing out to the engines, and all over the rest of the plane. He brought back some very nice photos! Of course, the fact that his wife is very pretty, and in a bathing suit that day, might have influenced the invitation a little, too. ;-)

Another clubmate of mine shot some video of the Mars demo in Van. harbour, from a different viewpoint at Stanley Park, and handed me a dvd at the field today; I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have no idea how to post video from disc, but if I figure it out, I'll find a place to put it up, too.

Brad.