PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick tape problems

olereo
12-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I purchased a Slow Stick to learn how to fly R/C... had other problems, so Slow Stick was in the hangar and dern tape came loose... This is both the double sided tape (empennage is now in free flight mode) and clear tape adherring diehedral rods fron and back doesn't stay stuck. Any suggestions for making permanent tail fixture and replacement tapr for wing? All suggestions appreciated.

olereo feelin' older every day

qban_flyer
12-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I purchased a Slow Stick to learn how to fly R/C... had other problems, so Slow Stick was in the hangar and dern tape came loose... This is both the double sided tape (empennage is now in free flight mode) and clear tape adherring diehedral rods fron and back doesn't stay stuck. Any suggestions for making permanent tail fixture and replacement tapr for wing? All suggestions appreciated.

olereo feelin' older every day

I sanded the dihedral area with 400 grit sandpaper, cleaned it up with alcohol then used 5 minute epoxy as I wanted a super secure joint. Did the same with my GWS Tiger Moth three years ago.

I did the same with the front and back wing stiffeners. Sanded the foam and rods slighty, cleaned everything with alcohol before epoxying. Secured them and their aluminum joiners in place with small strips of scotch tape while the epoxy set. Did the front set first, then the rear one.

I covered the rods with red trim MonoKote to make the wing look red evenly without the sticks showing. No need to do so, but since I had already deviated from the recommended method, I went a step further and made it a bit nicer looking. I also used trim MonoKote as hinging material instead of clear tape.

Got over 500 flights on it so far.

lindart aviation
12-14-2005, 01:21 AM
I also wiped every thing with alcohol.Washed my hands immediately before using short strips of clear packing tape to hold the stock parts in place. It was then fairly easy to get a nice tape job with the longer runs of the clear packing tape.
I wish I would have thought to use matching Monokote. My hinges are 3M Blenderm. So far so good,but not even close to 500 flights....

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 01:40 AM
I also wiped every thing with alcohol.Washed my hands immediately before using short strips of clear packing tape to hold the stock parts in place. It was then fairly easy to get a nice tape job with the longer runs of the clear packing tape.
I wish I would have thought to use matching Monokote. My hinges are 3M Blenderm. So far so good,but not even close to 500 flights....

Blenderm hinges will outlast any model you use them on. :)
That's what I have been using on my other foamies.

On the Slow Stick I wanted not only to have a very permanent set of joints, but also uniformity in color, so epoxy is what I used to glue the critical parts together and MonoKote to cover them up.

I have since replaced the Slow Stick's power plant. I have installed an Esskay 400XT (sold by Hobby Lobby $29.90) brushless outrunner, mounted on an E-Flite EFLM1915 stick motor mount adapter ($4.99), for ESC I use a Great Planes SS-12 ($34.99) and for batteries and switch between 900 mil 11.1V Thunder Power/Great Planes if I want the thing to become wild.

For a tamer flying beast I switch to Thunder Power 7.4V 1320s. The model has gone through a substantial metamorphosis (performance wise). It's hard to believe it's the same humble Slow Stick. :)

lindart aviation
12-14-2005, 02:27 AM
qban flyer, My SS is actually a sea plane using parts from jimsp.The motor set up is a BP12/BP18ESC/E-Tec 3s1250 HP/APC 8x4. The motor is on a pylon just in front of the wing and has the recommended 8 1/2 degrees up thrust. Take offs are in 5'! Landings in less !! It is a lot better in the wind than my GWS Beavers on floats.I have sent for a second set of parts from Jim. This one I will try the stock 300 d gear on with a 2 cell lipo pack that I have to purchase,along with another SS kit. This time i will order a slope kit. Question- do the slope kits come with the red wing? I am an old Ugly Stik fan and really appreciate the slow speed turning performance of the 'negative' wing tips.
I have used the Blenderm tape on 11 GWS Beavers ( 3 are mine)and it does a good job.Just read where one of us uses some heat on the Blenderm...any thoughts? Thanks in advance. art

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 01:02 PM
qban flyer, My SS is actually a sea plane using parts from jimsp.The motor set up is a BP12/BP18ESC/E-Tec 3s1250 HP/APC 8x4. The motor is on a pylon just in front of the wing and has the recommended 8 1/2 degrees up thrust. Take offs are in 5'! Landings in less !! It is a lot better in the wind than my GWS Beavers on floats.I have sent for a second set of parts from Jim. This one I will try the stock 300 d gear on with a 2 cell lipo pack that I have to purchase,along with another SS kit. This time i will order a slope kit. Question- do the slope kits come with the red wing? I am an old Ugly Stik fan and really appreciate the slow speed turning performance of the 'negative' wing tips.
I have used the Blenderm tape on 11 GWS Beavers ( 3 are mine)and it does a good job.Just read where one of us uses some heat on the Blenderm...any thoughts? Thanks in advance. art

To remember the Stick by its original moniker you must go back to the late '60s and early '70s. :)

I have found the Beaver to be a bit quirky. Sometimes the wings fluttered, so I had to add non-scale like struts to it to prevent the flutter from ripping them off while it flight. :p

All GWS slope kits are the same as the regular versions, except that they don't have a landing gear/wheels and a motor/gearbox assy. ;)

I have never heated Blenderm since it sticks so nicely they way comes from the roll. Some of my models have had Blenderm hinges for well over two years now. No sign of weakening or losening up, yet. :)

olereo
12-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks to all for replies... The Blenderm hinges are new to me - so shall look 'em up... Still snow cover and a bit chilly here - so won'e trying out re-assembled Slow Stik soon. Thanks again...

Olereeo

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks to all for replies... The Blenderm hinges are new to me - so shall look 'em up... Still snow cover and a bit chilly here - so won'e trying out re-assembled Slow Stik soon. Thanks again...

Olereeo

A bit of snow here and highs for today were 29, lows were 15 so we aren't flying either! :o

Freezing rain and sleet forecasted for tonight and tomorrow. BRRRR!!! :eek:

Hivoltage
12-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Sissies!!!!!! Just kidding, I am not flying either!!!!

qban_flyer
12-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Sissies!!!!!! Just kidding, I am not flying either!!!!

BOO-HOO!!! (qban flyer crying his eyes out)

My poor little Aero Ace bipe is sitting atop the church's roof all by its lonesome. I wonder what it will look like after tomorrow's ice storm? :o

Will it be called an Aero Ice after all is said and done? :confused:

nova801428
12-15-2005, 04:00 AM
my suggestion is buying new tape!

stroland
01-18-2006, 04:25 AM
use strips of fiberglass and epoxy. it mite not be pretty, but it will stay together

Idaho
01-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Where do you buy 3M Blenderm? I'll be assembling a SS soon.

sobamaflyer
01-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Please forgive, but Blenderm=the stretchy white/clear hospital tape?

Idaho
01-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Interesting. I'll check the stock room. Thanks.:)

sobamaflyer
01-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm sure I read on here that's what the Blenderm was, might want to wait for someone to confirm.

I got my sister to snag some for me after I read it was good for hinges but the reason I asked was that I used it on my SS and I have found that I have to tack it back down every now and then. Maybe I didn't get the surface clean enough?

Steve
01-19-2006, 01:34 AM
As far as I know 3M has stopped selling "blenderm" tape, but Dubro and others are marketing the same tape as "hinge tape" etc.

AlleRC sells it....same stuff.

http://www.allerc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hinge+tape&x=0&y=0

On my most recent SS, I decided to stick build the entire tail section and use CA hinges. I prefer using them whenever possible.

Idaho
01-19-2006, 02:07 AM
Here's the scoop on Blenderm. It is high quality surgical tape, widely used, available all over. I picked up a little roll labelled:

"Du-Bro Electric Flyer Hinge Tape"

(5yds x 1") at the LHS for $4.50. Inside the roll it's labelled 3M Blenderm.

Here's a link to get it at $2.00 per roll. I'm going to order a batch for my clinic and give some to the LHS just because they're a great bunch (young guy owner with both his mom and grandmother helping out in the store every day).

It's like other surgical tape I've seen except most is perforated to make for easy tearing while this is not.

Steve
01-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for straightening me out there hopper. Someone in another thread said that they called 3M and they said they were discontinuing prod of Blenderm. So much for the rumor mill.

It's great hinge tape for sure. If it's still available from surgical suppliers, that's the way to go...about half the cost of the re-packaged Dubro stuff.

Idaho
01-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Glad to help in some tiny way. I've been an black hole sucking up information on this site.:)

Arznek
02-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I had the same problem with my slow stick when I started flying. Try some Scotch Heavy Duty Strapping Tape. You can pick it up at Staples or any other office supply store. Wal Mart is generally hit or miss. It will cost you about 6 bucks, but one roll goes a really long way. I use it for hinging the tail surfaces and holding the wing together.

You won't be disappointed!