PDA

View Full Version : hobbico quick field charger & E-Flight batt help

rmbler
12-14-2005, 03:34 AM
hi all.... i need some info before i do something i might regret i have the hobbico Field charger mkII and want to charge an e-flight 11.1 860 Mah battery i just need to make sure i have the set up and setting right i have it a 0.7v and am using and using the white lead to charge the battery so before i kill the battery and possible fire is this what i want to have it set at and how long should it take to charge and battery that's a bit less that half discharged anyone with this info please help me out here don't want to blow up the house.

Thank you
Regards,
Phil

cyclops2
12-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Do yourself and house a big favor. Do NOT use the charger till you call the manufacturer and have them tell you what to do. We will all sleep better.

Matt Kirsch
12-14-2005, 02:51 PM
First off, you won't blow up the house. Even if the pack catches fire, if you're prepared and paying attention you will be able to quickly get the fire under control. You are charging in a fire-resistant container that can be quickly covered to smother any flames, right? Your mom's/wife's old pyrex casserole dish is an ideal charging vessel for small packs in a pinch.

But, the pack is not going to catch fire because you're going to make sure you have the charger settings right before you charge.

You've got the current set correctly, but more important is the cell count. Does this charger have a way to set the number of cells, or the pack voltage? It should be set to 3 cells, or 11.1V, or 12.6V depending on how the charger works. Many chargers autodetect the number of cells. You need to carefully read the instructions.

RiverPlane
12-14-2005, 03:21 PM
I do charge my LiPo 7.4V 2200 mah with this charger. Initial charges (4 or 5 times) were at 0.6 Amp taking 3 hours aprox to get at 95% (8.12V). Charger stops itself when this V reached. I always put the batt in a copper pan with its lid on and checking its temp. Once did this initials charges you may charge at 1C (0.8A in your case) I can't do that 'cause the MKII won't charge more than 1A for LiPos, so I'm always under a safety threshold.
I guess you have not problems as you keep this secure procedures. The charger is capable to work with 4 LiPos packs. My advice is to charge your batt at 0.4A for the 4 or 5 first times, then you may use 0,8A

Alex

rmbler
12-16-2005, 04:37 AM
thanks for the reply guys, one more question just how warm is the li-po suppose to be when charging or does that depend on the specks of each battery.

Regards,
Phil

TRASHBUG
12-16-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't think your batteries should get warm during charging. I have the same charger and have never had a battery warm up during charge. Just remember green LED for lipos!

Jim

RiverPlane
12-16-2005, 02:07 PM
My lipo never get warm, just a little when discharged.
IF GET A LITTLE WARM WHEN CHARGE, DISCONNECT IMMEDIATELY.
Always watch your battery while charge

Ron S
12-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Same here! My packs never get warm during charging! Don't exceed 1C (example- 1200mah = 1.2 amps. or 1C. They are better off being charged at the lowest rate your charger has! Like 250mah! Field (fast charging ) works them a little hard,but is ok as long as you don't exceed 1C ! Ron:p

danmilo
12-27-2005, 07:49 AM
Rmbler, I used the Mark I before (non-lithium) and now use the Mark II since I am rolling over to more lithium packs. When charging lithium packs on the Mark II, irregardless of what you adjust the dial to, the maximum rate is 1000 mah. This is spelled out in the owners manual. If you don't have one you can visit either Hobbico's or Tower Hobbies web site to download it for free.

I read it through many times because as you stated, everyone is concerned about overcharging lithium packs. Now that I have used this charger for over a year I still find it to be a great charger for the money. I have nicads, nimh and lithiums. This charger does very good on all three type and I enjoy charging two batteries at once.

Dan:p