PDA

View Full Version : GWS floats on snow

donjiskra
12-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Those of us whose float flying days cut short by winter, no longer need to hangar our planes. Winter flying on snow is not a problem.

Yesterday I taxied the Stolp on the GWS floats on 9" of light powdery snow.

The Stolp now weighs 30 ounces and it sat nicely on the snow, just barely making a depression. Slowly applying the throttle it moved smooth as silk, torqueing to the leftas throttle increased. Right rudder kept it straight.
The 10" float separation proved correct as the wide stance kept it very stable. I could easily become airborne if my yard was long enough.
I was very pleased with the Stolp's performance on floats in the snow, a VAST improvement snow ski's!!!

Construction details:
I used a 12" 1/8" aluminum rod for "axle" inserted through the carbon fibre landing gear. Held in place by wheel collars. Modified control horns were screwed to the wood insert. the float step was located 1/2" behind the center of gravity.

The floats were located 2" outboard of the landing gear and secured by wheel collars on each side. At the front and rear of the wood strip insert a 5/32" aluminun square tubing was used for lateral rigidity.

At the rear, 1/8" round tubing flattened at each end was used to secure the fuselage to the floats. Holes were drilled at the ends and the flat section was bent to conform to get the proper angle, then screwed to the fuselage and float.

A water rudder will be installed for later for summer flying.

For more information on how the Stolp Starlet has been modified go to: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 03:17 PM
An absolutely gorgeous looking machine you have there.

Keep us posted as to how it goes when she flies off the snow. :)

donjiskra
12-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Qban8 our club's flight date is set for January 1st.
Will certainly let everyone know how she flew.
This fall she was flown with wheels off grass and was most impressive!!!
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.:)
Don

qban_flyer
12-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Qban8 our club's flight date is set for January 1st.
Will certainly let everyone know how she flew.
This fall she was flown with wheels of grass and was most impressive!!!
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.:)
Don

The three clubs I belong to have similar events, I am a bit old for that stuff anymore though. :o

That bird looks magnificent, it must be a sight for sore eyes when she's airborne! :)

ForestCam
12-14-2005, 10:39 PM
A few more weeks of this cold and I'll be aqble to use the nearby lake as a flying "field". Best part, NO TREES! Just gotta watch out for the ice shantys.:D

Don Sims
12-14-2005, 10:54 PM
It looks great Don!! Good luck on the remaiden.

qban_flyer
12-15-2005, 02:15 AM
A few more weeks of this cold and I'll be aqble to use the nearby lake as a flying "field". Best part, NO TREES! Just gotta watch out for the ice shantys.:D

Now, why didn't I think of that? I have three lakes nearby I can use as my private R/C aerodromes.

Great suggestion, thanks! :D

Bill G
12-15-2005, 03:24 AM
I need to try this one out, on GWS floats. I've seen a video of it on snow which looked good. Its just so darn cold I haven't even been motivated to drive 2 blocks to the park.

qban_flyer
12-15-2005, 04:01 AM
I need to try this one out, on GWS floats. I've seen a video of it on snow which looked good. Its just so darn cold I haven't even been motivated to drive 2 blocks to the park.

HE, HE, HE!

Do I ever know that feeling! BRRRRR!!! :p

Mighty fine looking Beaver on floats you have there, Bill G. I like the way that three bladed propeller looks on it. :)

donjiskra
12-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Bill G.
Your Beaver looks great, along with the three blade prop.
Try it on snow!! You will be impressed how well the floats work.
Good luck!!
Don

lindart aviation
12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Bill,you will soon find that the GWS 9070 3 blade doesn't work that well.The 9070 2 blade prop will easily out perform it. We fly at 680"ASL and find that the 1080 works best on the 300c set up and the 350c's do best on the 1047 props.
If the snow is wet and packs easily,take offs won't happen,however,the dry powder snow works well.
If you are using the GWS 750 mah aaa nimh packs it is best to keep them warm til use. HTH art

qban_flyer
12-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Bill,you will soon find that the GWS 9070 3 blade doesn't work that well.The 9070 2 blade prop will easily out perform it. We fly at 680"ASL and find that the 1080 works best on the 300c set up and the 350c's do best on the 1047 props.

Truer R/C E-Words have never been spoken regarding three bladed GWS props. The only 9X7 three bladed ones I like are the ones with a very hard to write and pronounce name. Something along the lines of "Vrtule. H/L part # is FS305.

They work superbly with GWS boxes. :)

BradT
12-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Here's my old GWS Beaver, on home made foam floats, with packing tape on the bottoms to make them slide easily on the snow. The pic is from New Years Day, '04, and the snow is about 3" deep, and very icy, So landings slid forever, and t 'n' gs were very nice.

Bill G
12-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Here's my old GWS Beaver, on home made foam floats, with packing tape on the bottoms to make them slide easily on the snow. The pic is from New Years Day, '04, and the snow is about 3" deep, and very icy, So landings slid forever, and t 'n' gs were very nice.
Your floats look good, similar to GWS proportions. The detail scheme on the Beaver looks even better. These low detail, plain looking foamies can look pretty good with a bit of effort.

gotime242
12-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Sorry this has nothing to do with snow, but here is my Great Planes 41" ElectriCub on GWS floats. I really like the floats they do very well in the water and are nice for grass as well.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4167/floatingcub2gk.jpg

qban_flyer
12-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Your floats look good, similar to GWS proportions. The detail scheme on the Beaver looks even better. These low detail, plain looking foamies can look pretty good with a bit of effort.

Ain't that the truth? :D

BradT's Beaver looks magnificent. :)

I wish Watt Flyer member Sikorski would get wind of this thread and posts photos of his GWS Beaver. A work of art, one that doesn't even look like a foamie, much less one manufactured by GWS! :cool:

That ElectriCub look superb as well! :)

donjiskra
12-18-2005, 12:11 AM

Hey Brad, your home made floats sure look good and I like your idea to use packing tape on the bottom, neat!!! GOOD JOB!!!
Don :) :) :)

BradT
12-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the nice comments, Bill, qban, and Don. The floats, and the colour scheme, are both scale-downs from my old 72" Unionville Beaver. The scheme is actually copied off the box art of a plastic kit of the Beaver:) . I now have 2 sets of the GWS floats, 1 to mount on a GWS T'moth 400, and the other for an old Multiplex Pico Cub. When i get them done, I'll post pics, so that I'm on topic, and not hi-jacking the thread:rolleyes: . Here's a shot of the large Beaver that the GWS was a "small scale" model of:

donjiskra
12-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Sorry this has nothing to do with snow, but here is my Great Planes 41" ElectriCub on GWS floats. I really like the floats they do very well in the water and are nice for grass as well.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4167/floatingcub2gk.jpg

Gotime242, Your Cub looks great. Glad that you shared it with us on this thread. It's good to know that the floats work good on grass also. I plan to fly the Stolp off our grass field next season and at float-flys as well, so it should be a great flying season. How is your Cub set up for motor and batteries. What's the AUW?
Thanks,
Don :) :) :)

BTW: Here's a link to the Great Planes cub review:
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4628

losi24
12-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Gotime242, that is one nice cub! i could never get mine to fly right because i had a 8.4V battery that just wasn't enough poop to fly it. i sure do miss that plane. too bad it isn't made in a cheaper kit.

gotime242
12-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

Yeah, this cub does not have stock power. The stock power (280 size geared/5aesc/8cell 650mah batt) was absolutely underpowered in my thoughts. Only on the calmest days could i get it to climb at all. It really wasnt un-easy to fly as there was no recovery-power either (Does not glide well).

It is now on a regular brushed 400 can, geared 3:1 box, 9x6 slowflyer prop. I was on the stock 5a esc just to be cheap and see if it worked...and it did for a few flights. But yesterday mid-flight it completely stopped on me and i lost all power to the motor and servos. SOME-how it glided down and actually landed on the water by itself. Waiting 1-1/2 hr to recover it was another story. ;)

I ordered a 15a esc that will be better suited for it, and im thinking of building a recovery-boat (r/c) for it as well. I will take a video of it flying next time for you guys.

It is a nice plane for the most part...but the stock system was very underpowered (no way would it float fly) and it does have some bad in-flight tendancies such as a wicked tip-stall. It really needs good forward momentum and a decent amount of power to stay up...which makes landing a little "hot". No way is it a floater.

Thanks again for the comments, take care all!!

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/3061/cubreflect3ia.jpg

Jim Casey
12-20-2005, 02:33 AM
I built one of the Mark1/ Rev zero GP Electricubs. O5 can motor, direct drive, 6-cell car pack. It had an ugly stall-it would just stop flying and fall flat. I twisted in about a half-inch of washout into each wingtip and it was much happier.

gotime242
12-20-2005, 03:29 AM
I twisted in about a half-inch of washout into each wingtip and it was much happier.

Ive started to do that as well. Im working on 1/4 inch right now, ill probably add more in later on.

Bill G
12-25-2005, 10:51 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif GWS Beaver on Floats flys great on snow!
Update, finally flew this thing, awesome!
I've had this thing for almost a year now. Never flown. Went to a sanctioned field with a pond last summer, but the pond was almost dry. Finally Dec 24th, a day that is not frigid cold, but still snow on the ground. Decided against hand launching, althogh I was worried about ground handling in wet hard snow. Well it was excellent! Why didn't I try this thing out sooner. Took off at very low speed in little distance. This is the best flying plane I have ever flown. Responsive, yet stable and self-correcting. Easier to fly than a Slow Stick. Never got past half throttle, with a geared Himax 2015-4100, GWS 9070 3-blade (good scale looks), and Thunder Power gen2 3s-900 (9-11A cont rated). With the GWS floats, the AUW is still something like 16oz, with this setup. Very light, considering the wing loading. On landing, I accidentally dropped to zero throttle. For a split second I was worried, but realized that it was gliding in beautifully dead stick, so I kept it off to see the result. Bounced on ititial contact, came down on 1 float, then down on both. Next, I had some fun driving it around, and eventually back right to my feet. Didn't walk a single step. When coming out of ground turns on snow, you have to straighten out early, or you'll keep whipping around, just like a car on snow. Quite a bit of fun, for a plane that I bought with the "not sure why I'm buying this" attitude. For a $35 plane and $10 floats, it is an excellent value. I'm sure the stock 350 brushed would be ample also, as I didn't need much of the bl motor's power. I'm estimating that with full brushless power I could basically Harrier off of water.

donjiskra
12-26-2005, 03:17 AM
Hey Bill, congratulations!!!
Your plane looks great and it sounds like you missed out on a lot of good flights, but now having a blast. Cool!!!
Don

donjiskra
01-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Our club held its "First Flight of the Year" event today.
4 electric, 6 nitro participated with 20 spectators.
Weather: 38 degrees, wind 8mph, cloudy.
The Stolp was the only plane with floats. I was all set for more snow but it rained all week. The Stolp took off from our grass field with authority in about 30 feet, ( I didn't try to lift off too soon). The Stolp handled hansomely as if the floats were not onboard. This is truly a great flying plane with the AXI 2804 motor and a 3s1p 1320 mah lipo.
It will be my exclusive float fly plane, the Bonnie20's floats will come off and it will be solely for land flying, since the float events aren't as frequent. So now I'll have two incredible flyers in my fleet.
Best wishes to everyone that has followed my Stolp's progress. Hope your flying this year will be as much fun as I had today!!!!
Don

Don Sims
01-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Thats great to hear Don. That little plane is a nice flyer and fairly durable.

gotime242
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I had an awsome flight (actually like 5 or 6 :D ) today with my little piper cub on gws floats. I finally have a not-so bad power setup and its flying great. It actually ROG'ed from both early morning dewey grass (soccer field) and later on the same field when it was dry...its was a sight to see. Thats all of just a 400 can motor/15a esc/ 8 cell gp1100 pack!

donjiskra
01-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Good to hear that the Cub is flying well, especially with the GWS floats of grass. I really am impressed with the set on my Stolp. Last sunday our club had it's first fun fly at the field. All the snow was gone and it didn't really matter at all. Floats on grass work really well.

I bet if you changed your 8 cell pack for a 2s1p lipo you would find a HUGE difference in performance due to the weight reduction. My 3s1p 1320mah lipo pack only weighs 3.5 ounces compared to an 8 cell Sanyo 1700mah nicd pack at 15 ounces. An incredible weight reduction that really pays off.
Looking forward to your forthcoming video. I really like the looks of the Cub, neat!!!:) :) :)

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 08:52 PM
I am in the process of refitting my Soar Star with an Esskay 400XT outrunner and Wingo floats to fly from snow in Winter and from Lake Needwood comes Spring and Summer. I'll tackle the Slow Stick afterwards.

I used to fly a float equipped Goldberg Skylane 62 back in the late '70s from Lake Kettering here in MD. Also had a .60 powered Widgeon as well as a .35 powered Berkeley Super Privateer. Both flying boats.

Amphibians are a thrill to fly, especially when they get "on the step". :)

donjiskra
01-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Yes, you're right about amphibians. My Twin Aventura was good sitting "in" the water and then going on step was always a thrill. She was a great flying plane, until I sent her OOS (out of sight) never to be enjoyed again.
I would love to have another only with a single brushless motor next time but that version is no longer available, shucks!!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Don

qban_flyer
01-05-2006, 12:38 AM
That's a lovely looking model Don. :) Too bad it went OOS on you.:o

I wish I had kept at least one of my Berkeley's Super Privateer kits. They would make a superb e-conversion today. Had 12 of them, sold all of them on eBay five years ago.:o