PDA

View Full Version : Balancers, and do I need em?

Sharker
12-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi there
I purchased a nice set of 2 5S3P Thunder power 6000 mAh batteries to power my electric 60 size scale heli.. The problem is... I also pre-ordered the Thunder power Charger and balancer. No prob, it was expected in a couple of days.... 3 months later.. they keep bumping their delivery date:mad:

The reason I ordered the Thunder power charger and balancer was simple. I figured they would know how to best charge and balance their own packs.

So, do I cancel the TP order and buy myself a Schulze I-636 and ignore the balancing (Shulze's website does not seem to hold much stock in the Balancers) or do I grit my teeth and wait for TP to show up?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

everydayflyer
12-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Sharker if these are going to be used in series as a 10S3P then I most definitely would continue to wait. Some will feel that I am biased as I do Beta / Field testing for Charlie Wang ( Mr. Thunder Power).Believe it or not I use what works best for me and could care less who it it made or sold it. It is possible to charge the two 5S2P batteries in parallel so that each one will match the other in total volts and use a TP-205 to balance each battery. This would not provide a perfect balance between all 10 cells(very close but not exact)and other have used this means while waiting on the TP-210.

TP-1010 User's Guide in PDF
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=664465

To large of file to post here.
Charles

Sharker
12-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi Charles

I will be using them in series (nothing like 37V to give your morning a kick). Have you actually seen either the 1010 charger or 210 Balancer? I am just concerned that it is "vapourware" (you know the kind, promised for a year and then cancelled). My heli still has a ton of work to do on it (although almost ready for flight testing, I still have huge scale issues to deal with), so waiting is not a huge deal.. Oops, your link does not work :)

Thanks

Jeff

everydayflyer
12-14-2005, 03:21 PM
I have had a pre production TP-210 since Aug. Believe me there have been many changes made to improve its capabilities and precision as there has been to the TP-1010.

Link works for me .Try this one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=664465

Charles

Sharker
12-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Just got a phone call from my supplier.. The Charger and balancer are on the way!

Yay
Jeff

everydayflyer
12-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Got my TP 1010C and TP-210V yesterday. Allready ran many test ,hoping to be able to answer a few questions when everyone starts receiving their from the first 100.

Charles

Sharker
12-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Well, here is the first of many, I am sure

It just arrived

of course, I dont have the connectors for the battery to the balancer:mad:

They are now ordered.. it is ok, as my concrete "charging bunker" is still drying

I have read both instruction manuals.. still kinda confused..

I will be charging 2 5s3p 6000mAh packs.

If I understand correctly.. I will connect the two packs with a "Y" in series..Giving me a 10s3p pack (this is how it will be used in the helicopter).. I will then connect the balancer from bank 2 group A to the pack that has the negative wire from the "Y", and connect the balancer bank 2 group B to the battery that has the positive wire on the "Y" connector.. (phew:rolleyes: ).. Now, if I am right so far, what rate should I be charging these at?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

everydayflyer
12-31-2005, 02:18 AM
Congratulations you figured it out correctly.
Since you will be charging 2ea. 5S in series as a 10S the maximum available charge rate will be 5A. which will be a .83C rate or just under 1C.
If you use the Fast Charge option charge time should be just over an hour . Hope you have a heavy duty 12 volt power source as max. input amps are 25.

Results from Charging/Balancing 2 3S TP PL 1320s in series.

First screen
Cells # 1 4.194 / # 5 -4.189 Difference 0.005

Scrolling through screens
Cell #1 4.194 / #2 4.194 /#3 4.194 / #4 4.194 / #5 4.189 / #6 4.194

Charles

Sharker
12-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks Charles

The balancer wires are on the way.. I will let you know how it goes.. I have a 9-15V adjustable 25A power supply.. We will see how it does

Jeff