PDA

View Full Version : Performance and speed

Nathan
07-20-2005, 02:47 AM
With technology advancing in the electric r/c scene as quickly as it has, electric airplanes are reaching exciting speeds. Welcome to those of you who like the high performance racers.

philmaur
08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Taking a cue from the administrator, I thought some of you might be interested in the recent insane pylon race attempts a couple of weeks back in Melbourne. The object of the exercise was to fly 100 laps of a 330 metre course with 10 compulsory pit stops for the glow guys. Well, my son Mark who has had some success with various electric pylon planes decided to challenge the glow planes for the second year in a row.

Last year, he flew my two 3 minute 'Open' models which started life in the 1995 F5D W/C. These had a span of 1 metre and an MH30 glass on blue foam wing with a single aileron on the right wing. Motors were a Mega 22/30/2 and a 22/20/2 powered by two each of 7* GP3300 and 10*1950 FAUP.

Speeds were very competitive against the 46 powered sports pylon class glow models and there was some close racing - too close, in fact, since a mid-air took out one of the electric models and left us to fly some 60 laps with the remaining model and incompatible motors/packs. Nevertheless, the electrics finished halfway up the results list.

This year, with only one model still flying, we decided to try and complete the 100 laps with four pack changes in the same plane. Two 9 cell GP2200 packs, along with the two 10 cell FAUP packs were intended to drive the Mega 22/20/2 and its cut down Graupner 6*5.5 prop. The organisers, perhaps having seen the model fly, pitted Mark against the 'open' glow models instead of the Sports models. Racing started and it took the glow planes around 10 laps to finally overtake the electric much to the amusement/amazement of the onlookers and lap counters. The first battery change went well and by the time the second GP2200 pack was flat, Mark had flown 46 laps in under 10 minutes with some really tight flying and tight turns. The strain on the model (poorly repaired after a wing folded a month before) finally took its toll with a second wing fold. All of the running gear and R/C survived to race another day, but the electric proved itself capable of a top three finish against some of the top glow pylon pilots around.

So now, we are thinking about a Lipo solution for next year's challenge or, possibly 10*IB3800 packs under a cut-back former open F5B wing. Now that is plane insane (but heaps of fun)

Jason T
08-04-2005, 11:57 AM
philmaur,

Very interesting. I like hearing stories like that. :)

marc scully
08-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi guys,

I have recently converted a 'shark' pylon racer used in the UK at Club 20 events which is now defunct, to electric. Originally this 1m span pylon ran an OPS 21 venturi IC together with a tuned exhaust which sat neatly inside a belly fairing. I bought the plane damaged and have now converted it to electric as follows.

Mega 22/20/3 motor, Jeti 40A SC, Schultz alpha receiver, HS85BB servos and a Thunder Power 4200mAh LiPo. I am doing some power checks tonight, but I would love to hear from anyone who is experimenting with electric pylon racers.

The 10 x 6 Robbe folding carbon prop fitted spins around 13,000 rpm, so looks promising.

Regards

Marc.

Jason T
08-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Marc,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Sounds like a pretty nice setup. Are you going to be taking amp and other power readings on it?

Jason

marc scully
08-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Jason,

Hope to have some info next week on this so will post it when done.

Marc.

SargentM
08-24-2005, 08:15 AM
The glow guys will have to watch out or else us lectric fellas are going to pass them quietly.....