PDA

View Full Version : Old Cell Phone Batts, New Plane Battery?

sobamaflyer
12-14-2005, 11:07 PM
I have a pair of long forgotten cell phones, each with a 3.7v Li-ion battery (Looks peculiarly like 1/2 of my 7.4v 2 cell battery ;) ). Is there a safe how-to around here somewhere that might let me make new use of these things?

Thanks, Travis

inconel710
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm no expert, but this looks like a try at your own risk idea for the following reasons:

1) Most cell phone batteries don't have wires, so you'd have to solder on your own - that's a job I'm not comfortable with doing.
2) You have no idea what the max discharge rate is for these cells. Too easy to exceed the battery's capabilities and turn your plane into a fireball.

If you are willing to undertake these risks, your house insurance is paid up, and you don't live anywhere near me - then have at it.

I wouldn't do it.

sobamaflyer
12-16-2005, 04:47 PM
If you are willing to undertake these risks, your house insurance is paid up, and you don't live anywhere near me - then have at it.

Alllrighty, well that was the sort of caution I was looking for, I hadn't thought at all about discharge rates so you may be right. I remember seeing a charger made out of exactly what I have as this cell phone's charger and the cell it'self appears just like ones I had but No, I'm not willing to create a fireball to save $20

Thanks, Travis

Bob_CO
12-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Considering how cheap a 2s1p pack in the 500mah range is I agree that it isn't worth the risk unless you have all of the specs on the cells.

rcnerd
12-17-2005, 07:18 AM
My local HS had some packs for 17.99$ CDN which were made from surplus ipod batteries or something....they say that they are 640 mah and say sony fujimitsu or something like that on them. While I think it would be risky to *abuse* these packs I feel comfortable using them with the gws IPS system which draws very little current, for indoor. It goes over 20 min, so C rating isn't so important. I am careful with them tho!!