PDA

View Full Version : Axi Advise

woody
12-15-2005, 01:08 AM
Hi
I have just got my new axi 2212/34 my first outrunner and noticed that when i turn the motor round by hand you can feel a stiff click as you turn it ( no battery connected ), is it just the force from the magnets as it goes between poles.
The motor runs ok apart from a squel first thing , i think this is a warning from the CC 25 that the prop has started moving - plus it whines a bit through the throttle range. Are these thing normal , what should it sound like, someone said it may be the timing so i have tried High, Standard and Low on the cc25 but it makes no difference :(
Thanks
Woody

trogdor
12-15-2005, 01:26 AM
That all sounds normal, no worries.

ragbag
12-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Not sure what you call a click. Do be aware that a screw can get in the windings of these motor very easy. I was missing a prop adaptor screw, found it in the motor. Make sure there is nothing inside, other wise it is the snap as it pass's the magnets. They are some tough ones, for sure.

After that first incedent I put all parts in a small cup and make sure the bench is clear and clean of any filings.

By George

Rugar
12-15-2005, 02:56 AM
Hi
I have just got my new axi 2212/34 my first outrunner and noticed that when i turn the motor round by hand you can feel a stiff click as you turn it ( no battery connected ), is it just the force from the magnets as it goes between poles.
The motor runs ok apart from a squel first thing , i think this is a warning from the CC 25 that the prop has started moving - plus it whines a bit through the throttle range. Are these thing normal , what should it sound like, someone said it may be the timing so i have tried High, Standard and Low on the cc25 but it makes no difference :(
Thanks
Woody

The "Stiff Click" you feel is the resistance on the magnets and is totally normal. Its when it stops doing that is when you have a problem.
The squeal you hear is also normal, well sorta. Most Outrunner motors do that running Phx ESC's. If you have a Phx Link or know someone who does, you can eliminate a lot, if not most of the noise by updating your Phx 25 with a newer firmware version. It will also have a smoother throttle response.

qban_flyer
12-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Also referred to as cogging. Some motor's cogging is stronger than others, Most O/Rs will emit a slight high pitch noise, that's normal too. :)

woody
12-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks everyone :)

That put my mind at rest, I brought the Axi after sending a Jamara Outrunner back to the retailer because this little 10A motor was drawing 18A on a 8.43 prop, when you turned the motor over it had about 1/4 of the resistance compared to the Axi

Thanks
Woody