PDA

View Full Version : posting avatar? can't find settings!

rcnerd
12-15-2005, 05:08 AM
How do I put up an avatar???????????????????????????????????????????? ??:) THANKS!!!!

rcnerd
12-15-2005, 05:15 AM
How do I put up an avatar???????????????????????????????????????????? ??:) THANKS!!!!

SORRY scrap tht....by jove I think I got it!!!!:cool:

jperch
01-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Actually, I think this is a great question and it deserves and answer. It is great that you figured it out for yourself. But I came into this particular section hoping to have two question answered. One was how to put up an avatar and the other was what are the reputation points.

I was quite pleased to find that there were two threads titled exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, this thread doesn't have the answer. So, since I have now figured it out for myself as well, perhaps we can help the next guy looking for this answer. I will post what I did in a separate post to make it easier to see.

Joe

jperch
01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
To create an avatar one needs to have the picture saved in a file. At this time I don't know the exact specifications and limitations on the file type or size (perhaps someone can point that out for me?).

But to add that file as your avatar simply click on the link called "User CP" at the top of every page. That takes you to your User Control Panel. On the left are a list of things to edit. One of them is "Edit Avatar". Click on that link.

From here it should be fairly self explanatory. But you basically select the custom avatar option and tell the site the URL of your avatar or, if you have it stored in a file on your computer, tell it where the file is. The browse button makes this very easy. Once that is done, you have your avatar.

I hope this is helpful to folks. If this information is located elsewhere, I apologize for the extra clutter. I figure if I stumbled in here looking for answers, someone else will as well.

Joe

Mike Parsons
01-05-2006, 04:53 PM
To create an avatar one needs to have the picture saved in a file. At this time I don't know the exact specifications and limitations on the file type or size (perhaps someone can point that out for me?).

Hey Joe,
Here is the information you seek :)
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 9.8 KB (whichever is smaller

jperch
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Mike,
Thanks! I saw that after I posted of course.:rolleyes:

I seem to be having some trouble getting my avatar to upload though. I found the file. It is 75x75 pixels and about 5k in file size. But when I click on save changes, I get an error message from the forum that indicates there was a problem uploading the file.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Joe

EDIT: Okay this is interesting. Even though I got the error message, my avatar appears to be there just fine.

Thanks all,
Joe

Mike Parsons
01-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Are you trying to upload another avitar besides the one you currently have up now?

jperch
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Mike,
I got the message the very first time I tried it. For some reason it seems to have worked in spite of the error message. Of course I did not realize this until I posted that I was having a problem. lol!

Computers work on a principle called PM - Pure Magic!:D

Thanks,
Joe

Mike Parsons
01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
So true Joe :).

I hope you dont mind, but I used your instructional text to create a sticky on the top of the thread. I also added Step photo's in hopes that it will help members in search of how to add an Avatar.

I will most likely add other instructionals and rename the stick for the commonly asked questions.

Thanks for giving me the idea! :)

-Mike

jperch
01-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Mike,
I don't mind at all. I think it is great idea. I am glad I could help.

Joe

Mike Freas
01-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I must be trying to upload a file that is to big because all I get is the dreaded internet pager "page cannot be displayed"

jperch
01-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Mike,
AS Mike Parsons indicated the file needs to be no more than 9.8k Bytes and the image must be no more than 80 x 80 pixels in size. Double check the file. If it meets both these criteria, then something else is wrong.

I also had problems with an error message, but the upload seems to have worked for me anyhow. There might be a glitch in the matrix that hasn't been worked out yet.

Joe

rcnerd
01-06-2006, 04:24 AM
yeah the error message comes up even when you are sucsessful...