PDA

View Full Version : Inflight Video from a Jenny

firemanbill
02-02-2008, 09:02 PM
What a great day today! We ran about 4 packs through Mason's Jenny. We had some very heavy rains yesterday and the field was a mess. There was standing water all over the place except for on the runway. We almost had to wade out to the runway to takeoff... ok I'm exaggerating a bit but it was very wet.

Anyway. Mason got a bunch of great flights in and then he let me take it up.

Might have been a bad idea:o First try she bailed to the right on me and off the runway into that wet grass I was talking about I managed to flip it over. A lto more torque than I was expecting... No damage to it but we spent about 20 minutes wiping all the muck off of it. Now I knid of know how those nitro guys feel having to clean there planes all the time!:p:D

Anyway, got her cleaned up, straightened up, camera attached and off I went. Man she flies good. Floats great too but then when it slows down sufficiently it just drop like a rock but no tip stalling, just dropped straight down. Well I was coming in to land and my dpeth perception must be off because I thought I was over the runway to the last second but I was on the other side of it. She set tdown and immediatley stopped in the muck... flipped it over again. Snoopy was not happy...

Neither was Mason:o

anyway the right wheel axle snapped off and there was one crack in the vertical stab so I gotta fix that now berfore we can go back out with it.

This is one tough plane to survive what I did to it today. If anybody is considering one I will highly recommend it for the exception of the instructions.

17nd8l0Gx6g

Angler-Hi
02-02-2008, 09:34 PM
That video looked so cool. Sorry you flipped her. I'll be honest with you Bill, I laughed when you did that.:D I think sometimes a beginner needs to see that even the best have "off" days. Thanks for posting that video...and everything else you do for us beginners.:)

firemanbill
02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks Mike. That was just for you!;-)

The look on my sons face was priceless... the roles got reversed there for a minute between Father and Son!:Q

aviatordave
02-02-2008, 09:52 PM
cool video Bill!

I like that vantage point.

I wonder if you could slave a servo to turn snoopy's head with the ailerons?

Way to show the takeoff and landing. I do the same thing with my videos and even have a bad landing to boot. Oh well, it happens :)

dmmalish
02-02-2008, 09:52 PM
that was great bill and it is nice to see a proffesional have the same trouble us novice pilots have thanks for sharing i love the scarf blowing in the breeze that was great was that with the usb camera?

firemanbill
02-02-2008, 09:56 PM
cool video Bill!

I like that vantage point.

I wonder if you could slave a servo to turn snoopy's head with the ailerons?

Way to show the takeoff and landing. I do the same thing with my videos and even have a bad landing to boot. Oh well, it happens :)

That would be cool huh!?! hmmmmmmmm...

that was great bill and it is nice to see a proffesional have the same trouble us novice pilots have thanks for sharing i love the scarf blowing in the breeze that was great was that with the usb camera?

I wouldn't call me a professional!:eek::rolleyes: Thanks and yes it was the 5 in 1 EDVR

It does a pretty good job I think. It only weighs 3/4 of an ounce so you can put it just about anywhere.

gfdengine204
02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Bill,

The video was very cool. I like the view. Seeing Snoopy fly is awesome; I may need to find some Snoopy busts for my planes, as he is my favorite WWI pilot! :)

Sorry about the mishap; hope Mason didn't kick your a$$.......:)

Maybe some photos of the damage and your repair efforts for those newbies here that want to learn damage repair? ;)

firemanbill
02-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I will Kev, not too much to it though. Just one piece in the tail and a new axle.

I am grounded from flying the Jenny now. Mason had some great flights and was reluctant tl let me fly it but did anyway... probably shouldn't have but oh well...

I don't think he is going to let me fly it again anytime soon though:o:silly:

Murocflyer
02-02-2008, 10:13 PM
That was a cool video Bill. It's neat to see some of the plane in the video compared to the ground/sky.

I laughed also. Sorry.

It did look like a nice day -quite a few cars in the parking lot.

Hope you can get her fixed up quickly.

Frank

firemanbill
02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Everybody laughing at 'ol Bill's expense! Glad I could entertain you guys today!:Q

If it weren't for the wheel rolling across the field I would have gotten a chuckle out of it too!:rolleyes:

gfdengine204
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I will Kev, not too much to it though. Just one piece in the tail and a new axle.

I am grounded from flying the Jenny now. Mason had some great flights and was reluctant tl let me fly it but did anyway... probably shouldn't have but oh well...

I don't think he is going to let me fly it again anytime soon though:o:silly:
Perhaps that is a good idea? Your 0-1 now flying it, right? :<:

firemanbill
02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Perhaps that is a good idea? Your 0-1 now flying it, right? :<:

ummmmm... 1 for 3 actually!:D

dmmalish
02-03-2008, 01:18 AM
That would be cool huh!?! hmmmmmmmm...

I wouldn't call me a professional!:eek::rolleyes: Thanks and yes it was the 5 in 1 EDVR

It does a pretty good job I think. It only weighs 3/4 of an ounce so you can put it just about anywhere.

yea i will be glad to get my edvr back up again as soon as the weather breaks i have not posted a video in a long time just got the software loaded back on the computer so i am ready, the " proffesional " thing was my attempt at trying to make you feel better ;)

Grasshopper
02-03-2008, 01:39 AM
That was great Bill. Like everyone else said, nice camera angle too. Not too often you see one from that perspective. I could have sworn I saw Snoopy leaning in to the banked turns. I know I saw him puke while he was hanging upside down by the runway.:D

GreenAce92
02-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Wow im so jealous what camera did you use?

firemanbill
02-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah Tom he was really giving me the growl when I got to the plane!

Ace that is the 5in1 eDVR

GreenAce92
02-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Aww man i have heard so much about that camera it has really nice quality. What does it weigh in at? I heard about 1 5in1 edvr weighin in at .75oz. Nice vid great flying too! it climbs fast!

firemanbill
02-03-2008, 02:14 AM
You are correct. It's total weight is 3/4 of an ounce. very light and can be put about anywhere.

GreenAce92
02-03-2008, 02:19 AM
wow that is really light, is the price around 80bucks or something?

firemanbill
02-03-2008, 02:26 AM
I got mine used for 50 bucks. about $75 on ebay new with shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ST-Lab-eDVR-5in1-Micro-Camcorder-RC-Heli-Plane-Blade-CX_W0QQitemZ330207826550QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43459QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GreenAce92
02-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Thats a nice deal. Which one is better this one or flycam one?

firemanbill
02-03-2008, 02:54 AM
If I had a flycam one I could answer that question!;-)

I like this one a lot though. Very simple to use.

GreenAce92
02-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Alright i guess i will have to buy this one then sometime. Its a great camera.!

firemanbill
02-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Yes it is. You wouldn't be dissapointed with it that's for sure.:D

Kosh
02-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Great video Bill, I thought Snoopy was doing a excellent job at piloting until he landed. I would say he handles a plane as well as Yoda any day of the week. (Yoda destroyed 4 of my planes before turning in his wings) :red:

Maybe he just needed a cool scarf? :rolleyes:

firemanbill
02-03-2008, 10:49 AM
'ol Snoopy does do a pretty good job!

The size is perfect for this plane too! It really sets it off.

smokejohnson
02-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Nice video Bill, that was cool.