PDA

View Full Version : Can esc's have a different top end output

Rhondas
12-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I just hooked up a new esc gws 480 to a 7 cell sub c 1700mah pack and a known airplane cub that flys nice, I did use very long jumpers with aligator clips and had my digital amp meter in series with the motor leads to check my motor amp output, and another set of aligator clip leads from the esc to the battery pack,OK when I ran up the motor to full, I noticed it didnt have a full RPM sound or static pull as much as when I have had a different esc in it installed permanently before I took it out to use in in another plane,could it just be the resistance in the long jumpers and maybe my amp meter has a shunt in it with resistance and this is why the new esc isnt sounds like its getting my motor up to full throttle?

batman
12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
You won't get good current flow thru aligator clips to start with and long leads will not help either. Was the battery pack fully charged and in as good condition as the one it normally feeds off? Also, if the ESC has a timing option this may make a difference if it is set wrong.

Rhondas
12-16-2005, 12:15 AM
You won't get good current flow thru aligator clips to start with and long leads will not help either. Was the battery pack fully charged and in as good condition as the one it normally feeds off? Also, if the ESC has a timing option this may make a difference if it is set wrong.

:eek: the same pack was used not reharged,

Matt Kirsch
12-16-2005, 05:05 PM
That and the dodgy connections would definitely explain the difference in performance. If you charge the pack and make permanent soldered connections, then the motor will run properly.

The best place for an ammeter is in between the battery and ESC. There isn't enough loss in the ESC to make testing the current between it and the motor worthwhile, plus there's already a convenient connector between the ESC and battery. Just wire up your ammeter with the right connectors and you'll get accurate readings with no discernable loss of performance.

Rhondas
12-17-2005, 12:13 AM
That and the dodgy connections would definitely explain the difference in performance. If you charge the pack and make permanent soldered connections, then the motor will run properly.

The best place for an ammeter is in between the battery and ESC. There isn't enough loss in the ESC to make testing the current between it and the motor worthwhile, plus there's already a convenient connector between the ESC and battery. Just wire up your ammeter with the right connectors and you'll get accurate readings with no discernable loss of performance. Ill try to set up everythng right.

ragbag
12-17-2005, 01:15 AM
If you are useing a Skysport radio you wiil find that with the GWS esc you will pick up about 300 rpm when you advance the throttle trim all the way up also.
Had to prove it to the naysayers at our field. The shouting match quited down after I showed it too them. They could hear the difference, didn't want me to bother digging out the tach.

Naysayers= knowitalls.

By George:p

Rhondas
12-17-2005, 02:44 AM
souds right ragga bag, if the trim is tied in with the throttle this should have more throw