PDA

View Full Version : Who makes E-Flite's BL motors?

Twmaster
12-15-2005, 04:53 PM
So far, to me anyhow, the outrunners look like AXi's. I also have two inrunners (5400KV 20MM diameter) motors and am trying to figure out who makes them.

Rodneh
12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
I bought two of these E-Flite motors because they come with the connectors already attached and also their ESC's for the same reason. I don't know if they are equivalent to the AXI which I also have as I have not compared them yet. The convenience of the connectors already being attached along with a significant price difference led me to trying them. The ESC is also supposed to automatically detect the number of cells and self adjust for cut off which can be important for LiPo's.

Rugar
12-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I bought two of these E-Flite motors because they come with the connectors already attached and also their ESC's for the same reason. I don't know if they are equivalent to the AXI which I also have as I have not compared them yet. The convenience of the connectors already being attached along with a significant price difference led me to trying them. The ESC is also supposed to automatically detect the number of cells and self adjust for cut off which can be important for LiPo's.

Welcome to WattFlyer Rodneh.

Please don't take this the wrong way, BUT! If your buying motors and esc's because they already have the connectors on them, your buying for entirely the wrong reason. There is nothing wrong E-Flight motors and esc's, but if your going to be in this hobby, especially Electric RC, your going to have to learn to solder your own on or you will be VERY limited to your components choices. Soldering is a VERY important aspect of this hobby.

Rodneh
12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
No offense taken even though I have many years soldering experiece (much of my work flew on Mercury and Gemini space programs) I mentioned the connectors as it certainly saves money for the newcommer into the hobby. The fact that the connectors were included (a big percent of the cost of the systems) may influence some on which system to buy. Not only were the connectors included, they were of premium quality, i.e. gold plated and the solder work was well done.

Matt Kirsch
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
They look like AXis, but I've spent considerable time measuring them and while they look similar, the dimensions are different.

They are close enough to AXis that you can get a good idea of performance and get a few configuration ideas by using the AXi application tables. Just find the AXi that comes closest to the Eflite in size, weight, and Kv. If the Eflite's Kv is a little higher, you'll know that the motor will be a little more "powerful" than the AXi with the same prop and battery.

qban_flyer
12-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I mentioned the connectors as it certainly saves money for the newcommer into the hobby. The fact that the connectors were included (a big percent of the cost of the systems) may influence some on which system to buy. Not only were the connectors included, they were of premium quality, i.e. gold plated and the solder work was well done.

Not to mention the time saved trekking to the store to get the connectors, heat shrinking tube, time spent preparing for the soldering job and to heat shrink what needs to be insulated.

That is what makes E-Flite motors and ESCs so attractive to many in this hobby. They are reasonably priced and all of the time consuming chores are already done for us. I believe some in the industry refer to this convenience as "Plug & Play". :)

Rugar
12-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Not to mention the time saved trekking to the store to get the connectors, heat shrinking tube, time spent preparing for the soldering job and to heat shrink what needs to be insulated.

That is what makes E-Flite motors and ESCs so attractive to many in this hobby. They are reasonably priced and all of the time consuming chores are already done for us. I believe some in the industry refer to this convenience as "Plug & Play". :)

I usually have everything I need as I always buy enough connectors and such for the next 5 projects when ever I run out. I buy heat shrink by the 5' sections from a local electronics store.

I actually don't like the plug and play stuff. I like the building and soldering, and putting my own system together. But your right, for the newbies, the plug and play stuff is great, and you haven't seen nothing yet. A insider that I know at Horizon Hobby told me there will be a whole new line of RTF stuff coming out after the first of the year using E-Flight plug and play components.

qban_flyer
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
But your right, for the newbies, the plug and play stuff is great, and you haven't seen nothing yet. A insider that I know at Horizon Hobby told me there will be a whole new line of RTF stuff coming out after the first of the year using E-Flight plug and play components.

Us older foggies like to do things in our own peculiar way, so in reality that "Plug & Pray" :eek: (yup!, I really meant Pray) stuff is not for us.

For newbies with little sordering experience the already put together stuff is a blessing in disguise. Especially the stuff sold by E-Flite and Great Planes. :)

Rugar
12-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Us older foggies like to do things in our own peculiar way, so in reality that "Plug & Pray" :eek: (yup!, I really meant Pray) stuff is not for us.

Older Foggie?:o Dont remind me!:p

atlav8r
12-18-2005, 01:18 PM
So far, to me anyhow, the outrunners look like AXi's. I also have two inrunners (5400KV 20MM diameter) motors and am trying to figure out who makes them.

Himax

Turbojoe
12-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Himax

I thought I'd heard that somewhere.
I wonder who will release the .25 size motor first? Horizon has it listed on the website for February release. I'll grab one from whoever releases it first. The .46 and .60 size are already available. I've sen the .46 up close and it's purty.

Joe

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Cliff. I suspected this may be so but I do not (yet) own any Himaxx motors to use as comparison.

Electrick
12-18-2005, 05:06 PM
I dared to make a casual comparison (based solely on appearance and listed specs) in a thread on RCG a while back, between the E-Flite motor and this one-- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6022463352&category=34055

and someone (most likely Jason from Horizon, since he began participating in the discussion) reported my post to the mods for it. :rolleyes:

Marketing people don't like you asking revealing questions or even speculating about their products vs. competing products in front of potential customers, apparently.

Rick

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 10:14 PM
That's silly. And yet another reason why I spend little time on RCG any longer. :(