PDA

View Full Version : question re: rechargeable batteries

rmbler
12-16-2005, 05:29 AM
hi all does anyone use rechargeable batteries in their radios and if so how well do they compare to regular batteries like duracell ect.

regards,
Phil

rcnerd
12-16-2005, 07:32 AM
I use ni-mh and they work great, most radios are desighned to work off nicad so the voltage is very similar. Your tx will not read so high initially, but will stay more level through the charge(compared to alkiline).

I use digicam 1600's- cheap and ok
and Energizer 2500's - these are the way to go, they are made by Sanyo, have the highest available capacity, handle 1-2 amps just fine and are avail. @ WAl mart.

There is a concern with the contacts oxidizing if you leave them in and charge through the jack. Part of the design of dry battery systems is that every time you replace the batteries you clean the contacts. The solution for this is to 1) bend the springs if req'd to ensure a *tight* fit and 20 to periodically remove the cover and spin all the batts (once or twice a year).

I find the energizer last longer than cheap alkilines and the 1600's about the same but this is an unscientific observsation.

rmbler
12-17-2005, 12:41 AM
thanks for the reply i was getting kinda tired of spending all the money on 3 different radios for 3 helis i would rather go with rechargeable wasn't sure how they would work now i think ill give it a try and get like 8 batt's and 2 chargers the initial cost will be more but in the long run ill save a ton of money.
Regards,
Phil.

ForestCam
12-17-2005, 12:59 AM
I use digicam 1600's- cheap and ok
and Energizer 2500's - these are the way to go, they are made by Sanyo, have the highest available capacity, handle 1-2 amps just fine and are avail. @ WAl mart.

Noticed that Wally World has an Energizer combo pack w/ 4 AA, 2AAA and the charger for $20

rmbler
12-17-2005, 02:45 AM
i was looking at the radio shack green batteries i think it was about $24.00 for 4 AA and the charger i really don't have much use for the AAA's i use to use them in my gps and they seem to last a long time tho i am sure the radios i have 2 from E-Flight and 1 Hirobo will draw more than a gps.

Regards,
Phil.

rcnerd
12-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Another cool thing is that you can use the chargers that come with some RTR cars and planes to charge the TX nimh 2500's. For example the charger that comes with the Blade Cp is great for this.

For more info on this you should check out Red's battery clinic website.

:cool:

everydayflyer
12-17-2005, 03:05 PM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4582634&postcount=68

Operational time in most R/C Transmitters should be approx. twice times in chart .

Charles