PDA

View Full Version : Aerobird Gone Fishing

C140
02-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I was making a low pass across the field when the airplane glitched so bad that it snap-rolled into a near-by pond inverted. :( I didn't think it was hurt too bad, but when I picked it up, it suddenly started going full-throtle in my hand. All told, airframe undamaged, ESC/Receiver package fried, servos okay. Might make an okay slope glider, but not worth the cost to buy the new fuse ($50.00). Thoughts on where to go from here? I'm looking for maybe an easy to build kit or ARF or something like that. I've got a whole radio set-up from when I tried to get into this hobby a while ago. :rolleyes:

flydiver
02-10-2008, 12:37 AM
All told, airframe undamaged, ESC/Receiver package fried, servos okay. Might make an okay slope glider, but not worth the cost to buy the new fuse ($50.00).

Newer AB3? One option is to gut and convert to 72MHz if you really like the plane. Not too terrible if the TX does elevon mixing. Cost you the work + RX + ESC and a few connectors. I did that with mine after I totaled a servo (old ABC-soldered on the control panel).

That said unless you are SURE the electrics are fried you can remove the servos, soak the panel in hot clean water, then in alcohol, blow dry and let sit for 24 hours in a warm place. I had 2 'baths' I recovered from this way.

If you want the conversion get back to me about particulars.

C140
02-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Flydiver
I'm assuming the ESC is fried becuse as soon as I plug the battery in, even though it's dry now, it blasts off at full throtle. The ESC never arms and it doesn't matter where the slider is on the TX. I wanted to go 72 Mhz a while ago, but for now, I think it's time to move on. I might want to go back to it later, because I really like(d) it.

flydiver
02-10-2008, 05:07 AM
FWIW, it took mine over a day to dry out properly. At first it twitched and jerked, then became completely dead. It stayed that way long enough I went looking for a replacement. I did learn to get the battery out immediately and not try it again until well dried out.

I just checked a past thread. In you 'hop up' thread I already posted some of the ways to convert the AB over.

There are lots of planes to learn to fly. Have fun. My next one was a Super Cub, then I got a Stryker B. The SC was an easy move. The Stryker was quite a jump.

C140
02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Good news. It's been three days since the accident, and when I plugged the battery in, the ESC armed. I was soooo happy. I guess it's just best to wait these things out. Thanks for the info Flydiver.