PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunk

erdmann
02-10-2008, 04:14 AM
who makes a British Chipmunk not a super in a kit or a arf elec. I used to fly the real think

Bill G
02-10-2008, 04:26 AM
who makes a British Chipmunk not a super in a kit or a arf elec. I used to fly the real think
Seems the model companies ALL have to make their own version of planes like the P40, before even one of them will ever make this plane. I think it would sell, especially considering there are none of them out there. The only one I know of is Dynaflite, but I don't know if they still make it, and its around 50 or 60".

I don't care for those Super Chipmunks myself. Doesn't seem to be any ARFs that I know of, for the vintage version. I enlarged a set of Guillows plans to around 40" and had to basically redesign all the formers, for scale fuse shape. Seems to be the kind of thing we have to go to, for a real Chipmunk. Maidened it this past Christmas.

Murocflyer
02-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Looks like we have an answer. Nice work Bill.

erdmann
02-10-2008, 04:36 AM
thank you the real deal flies like a dream i wish i never sold it

Bill G
02-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks.
I was just looking these up, and it appears there is a House of Balsa kit too. I found that the Dynaflite is discontinued, but in any case, there are always older unbuilt kits that can be found for sale.

The model flies pretty well too Earl.:)

erdmann
02-10-2008, 05:12 AM
thanks for you time

walts
02-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Have you considered conveting the Black horse Chipmunk for electric? I have one under the bed awaiting the treatment! O.K. so it's not 100% scale, with a few obvious discrepencies, but it is still instantly recognisable as an RAF Chipmunk in ARTF form. and a very nice size model for not a lot of money.
Here's a link to a write up of the model.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article.asp?sp=&v=6&uan=356

Walts.

haze_b
02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Aloha,

The link below has an E conversion review for the BH Chipmonk.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739137

I think the Hobby People are distrubuting it in the US.

Good luck

rcers
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Love my BH chippy - it is a fantastic model - it is the one mentioned in the review above...

My next BH models is the OV-1 Mohawk....equally as nice.

Mike

erdmann
02-12-2008, 12:44 AM
thank you. all on this forum are so nice .it is a pleasure to deal will all

erdmann
02-12-2008, 01:12 AM
i may go with this one. what do you all think about recovering it with silver as thay were in 1948

rcers
02-12-2008, 01:15 AM
Recovering is certainly possible..... And gives you a unique ARF!

erdmann
02-12-2008, 01:27 AM
ya but i am not that good at covering man i love arf

jasmine2501
02-12-2008, 03:27 AM
I just looked at a House of Balsa Chipmunk kit at my LHS... I decided to get something else because I'm trying to build a nice pattern bird and I thought it might have too much dihedral in the wing. It looks like it might be fairly easy to build, but I wasn't impressed with the instruction book...

You can cover it however you want... which is the good part.

CHELLIE
02-12-2008, 05:03 AM
I just looked at a House of Balsa Chipmunk kit at my LHS... I decided to get something else because I'm trying to build a nice pattern bird and I thought it might have too much dihedral in the wing. It looks like it might be fairly easy to build, but I wasn't impressed with the instruction book...

You can cover it however you want... which is the good part.

Hi Jasmine :ws: maybe you might like this e power pattern plane, take care, Chellie

http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_29_76&products_id=233

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133739

http://www.mountainmodels.com/images/fb1.jpg

jasmine2501
02-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi Jasmine :ws: maybe you might like this e power pattern plane, take care, Chellie

http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_29_76&products_id=233

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133739

I might, but check my new thread... the kit I got is similar in proportions... it just needs a rudder...

R101
02-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I am building the Airsail Chippy at the moment for electric.

It is a very good kit - they also do a Canadian version

http://www.airsailmodels.co.nz/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=36&cat=Airsail+Kitsets+Radio+Control+Scale+Kitsets

Aussie E-Flite
02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Love my BH chippy - it is a fantastic model - it is the one mentioned in the review above...

My next BH models is the OV-1 Mohawk....equally as nice.

Mike

Mike,

I have just ordered one of these for my hanger. I'll be using a Turnigy 50-55 from United Hobbies. My CMPro Extra is just about clear of the bench and the Chippy is next.

Great write-up on RC Groups - I am using it as a reference for my conversion (heck, isn't it great one someone does all the hard work for you!!).

I'd be interested to hear your comments on the Mohawk.

Thanks.

walts
02-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Keith,
I'm just finishing up my own conversion on the BH Chipmunk. I too Read through Mikes great conversion for insperation, but decided I wanted a hatch so as not to have to remove the wing for battery changes.
I bought this model with the intention of trying to make some surplus gear I decided not to use on my Typhoon build fit in the Chipmunk.
It just happens that is the exact motor I have fitted (Turnigy 5055-B 600Kv) The spare pack I had was a HXT 4100 5s, which has given me a few problems fitting:rolleyes: It's all just about in now and I need to balance & weigh it, but I'm trying to decide what size prop to use.
Today I tested a APC thin electric 13 x 6.5 which pulled 49A at 17.5V so 857watts or if the model comes in a little heavy at 8lbs a very respectable 107w/lbs.
I also tested a Master air screw IC 13 x 6 prop as i had read in Mikes review that the apc ic version was actually pulling less amps! I too was amazed to find it only pulled 36A at 18.3V so only 81w/lbs.
I couldn't test for the all important rpm to determine pitch speed as the light was going and the tacho doesn't work in artificial light. But I am considering trying a MAS 13 x 8 to try and draw around 45A giving around 98w/lbs and pick the pitch speed up a little. (these figures are all assuming the model comes in at 8lb)
Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or recomendations on a prop for this power set up?

Thanks,
Walts.

Aussie E-Flite
02-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Hello Walts,

Sorry, I haven't got any data at the moment that might help. I am just finishing an Extra with the same motor (they are so cheap, I ordered 2 from UH). I was leaning towards the data supplied in the article and trying a prop either side of the 13 x 6.5. Battery will be a TrueRC 5S 5000mAh.

Quite bizare about the MA 13 x 6 prop.

I have found that the APC 13 x 6.5 prop is suited to many applications and motors, so I tend to use it and the APC 12 x 8 on many of my planes (mainly 40 - 60 size glow equivilant). I like to try and balance between "scale like" flying (ie, not ripping around the sky at full power) and flight duration. Most of my aircraft are set up for 15 - 20 of comfortable flight time. 108 watts/pound will be more than adequate for my flying.

I will do some figures on the Extra when it is going and let you know.

I see you are in the UK. My partner leaves on Friday to spend 3 weeks working over there (working at Land Rover House I think, where ever that is). We are in the middle of summer here - but I think she can leave the swimming outfit at home!!

Thanks.

walts
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi Keith,
Yes ..........I think a rain coat might be a better idea, it's pouring buckets as i type!
Glad to hear you use the 13 x 6.5 APC, It is the first one I have bought, and I was a little worried that it might not produce enough pitch speed for this possible 8lb model??? I will have to get around to testing the rpm in day light tomorrow. I noticed that Mike's 6" pitched prop was producing around 10,000rpm on his 4s set up, but at quite high amps. I don't think the Turnigy will produce much more than 8000rpm hence my concern over pitch speed.
I think the MAS IC prop is probably not drawing so many amps because it is not producing so much thrust, but i can check that tomorrow too, I just liked the look of it on this model.
I too would prefere longer scale like flights with this sort of model, which is why i was going with the 5s on a lower Kv motor to try and keep the amps down but still produce decent thrust. I'm reasonably new to this electric flying stuff, and tend to thumble my way through best i can at the moment.
Cheers,
Walts.

rcers
02-26-2008, 01:10 AM
The Mohawk - is just as neat as the Chippy - look for my review on eZone in the next 3-4 weeks!

Mike

walts
02-26-2008, 10:44 AM
sounds interesting Mike! Have you considered the BH Mosquito? I saw it in the cat. in the shop yesterday, It's at a really good price of 159 over here, which is dirt cheap for a 62" twin ARTF. I think it could be made to look really nice with a little bit of work:ws:

I ran tacho tests thismorning on both those props, the APC 13 x 6.5 was producing 8700rpm so not far off my guess. The MAS 13 x 6 was producing a respectable 9400rpm. I read that the MAS prop has slightly less pitch on it's wide blades.................don't quite understand that, I thought a 6" pitch was a 6" pitch:confused: But it seems to have loads of thrust for only 36A draw, but a very noisey prop.
I may well try flying on this prop for the duration and scale looks. I don't think 81w/lbs is too bad for a docile RAF training a/c, should look quite scale, what do you think?

Walts.

rcers
02-27-2008, 03:09 AM
Walts - I will be doing the Mossie review too! An excellent choice and I am very excited about that!

All propellers are different. The blade shape and pitch (often not accurate - on wood especially) and tips amoung the brands are different. Add to that the fact they all have different types like "e" and glow and so on and so forth.

What I have found is wood props are typically the least efficient. They tend to draw more power and reward you with less thrust (bad).

I have found the MAS props to be horribly inefficient as well. I LOVE apc-e props and apc glow props.

The best are the GWS HD type - but they are simply not strong enough for over 250w or so.....

I hear good things about the XOAR props too but I have not tested any yet...
http://www.xoarintl.com/props/ma.html

I sometimes test as many as a dozen props on a single model - most give up too quickly. I have finally settled on the APC glow 12x6 prop for my chippy.

Just to show you the difference - the 12x6apc-e prop drew 9 more amps than the APC 12x6 glow. AMAZING! The glow prop performed better in the air and drew 9 amps less.

So - testing is good. FLY with the propellers - don't just do ground testing. In the air is where it matters.

MIke

Aussie E-Flite
02-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Walts and Mike,

Any links available to the BH Mossie. A sure starter to my hanger too I think. Thanks.

walts
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks for that info Mike:)
Keith, here is a discussion thread on the BH mossie with links to the BH page I think the model probably looks a hell of a lot better in the flesh, BH seem to use awful pictures for advertising, both the Chippie & thunderbolt I have found to look much better in real life than the pictures on the boxes.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798698

I also done a quick write up on my own Chipmunk conversion here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824722
Using the Turnigy motor and 5s all in the cowl.

Cheers,
Walts.

Aussie E-Flite
02-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Wow. My BH Chipmunk arrived today and what a great looking kit it is. I can't wait to get cracking on it - got to finish the Extra first though. No wonder the reviews comments are all so positive - it certainly looks the goods.