PDA

View Full Version : Tinkering with a Hacker Osprey - The Update...

bugjam1999
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Hello all,

Basically following on from this thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26511

So there was finally some flying weather over the weekend... might even be some this week after work, now the days are starting to get longer again :)

Hacker Osprey was dug out of winter hibernation and looked at over a cup of tea (it's the British way, don't you know).

Putting the tip float back on turned out to be a bit more involved as the supporting balsa underneath it had been broken as well, this in turn involved cutting off a section of the original covering material. Support replaced, more covering bought and much messing about with the iron and then some glue later and the wing is recovered and the tip float back in place. Annoyingly the replacement yellow covering is a slightly brighter shade than the original, but there was no way of matching the covering put on it at the factory (and the model shop owner did try hard for me).

I straightened the tailplane at the same time, it had sagged with time...just needed reironing.

Motor mount looked at and adjusted, basically the builder (not me!)put it together slightly skewed (but you can't see it to look at it) with the result that the motor has rather a lot of left thrust. I'd compensated for that by mounting it through different holes to make it straight, but that introduced rather a lot of down-thrust. More holes drilled, some fiddly washers put in and the motor is pointing very slightly right (does a motor on a pod need this? i'd assumed so) and along the correct plane with relation to the wing centre-line when viewed from the side.

So... to the field :) Trims set straight, deep breath... away she goes with a good throw. Bit of trim to the right, some trim down and.... that's about it! flew like the stable predictable plane all the reviews i'd read on the net said it should do. It doesn't need anywhere near as much elevator throw as i had making that quite sensitive, but that's easy to fix before my next flight.

Flew around for "quite a while" i didn't time it, but it felt like about 10mins... it flies quite quickly and although the glide is predictable with the motor off, it's not exactly a floater. I think it glides about as well as my F27 stryker, which feels like a brick after flying my easystar or slowstick. It's definately a hands on plane and needs flying constantly, not like the easystar which basically flies along and you interfere with it's desire to go straight and level. The glide excepted, it's a doddle to fly, theres enough dihedral in the wing tips to make it pretty docile and it's not sluggish to respond to commands or anything - the problems i had with the aileron servo are less noticable now, but it's still slightly slower than the other two servos. Did i mention it's huge amounts of power? thanks again to Dr. Kiwi :) rate of climb is, err, over-spec'd :D

i've got low and high rates set up for the elevator/ailerons and with the high rates set i tried a few stunts after reaching enough altitude... with the ailerons moving more than last time i tried, the plane can be rolled quite successfully, but it's not exactly spinning around it's axis, it loses height inverted... not exactly surprisingly though, it's not a stunter, nor does it have a symetrical wing section.

Loops are interesting... a large gentle loop it'll do quite happily, but try to do anything even approaching a tight one and it gets to pointing vertical and then in the blink of an eye is spinning down to earth :o easy to recover from, but amazing how quickly it does it.

Landing was easy, just a bit quicker than some of my other planes, this might help i guess when trying to get it down onto a lake having come in vagely high to clear the inevitable treeline around the shore. We'll see.

Next stage... water :) Plane is easily stable and predictable enough now to take water flying, I'll let you know how i get on. Hopefully no swimming... :o

Murocflyer
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey now, after all this chat, we gotta have some pictures!

Especially with her on the water.

Frank

bugjam1999
02-12-2008, 09:01 PM
thats certainly the plan... just as soon as i can get an (un)willing volunteer to come to the lake with me, i'll post some pictures...

FlyingMonkey
02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
where is the lake?

bugjam1999
02-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Histon, Cambridge, England.

Murocflyer
02-12-2008, 11:05 PM
thats certainly the plan... just as soon as i can get an (un)willing volunteer to come to the lake with me, i'll post some pictures...

I hear ya. I have to drag family members kicking or screaming with me, or have a good bribe for them to come out with me.

Frank

FlyingMonkey
02-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Histon, Cambridge, England.

Hmmm, I don't think I will be able to offer to hold that camera for you.

bugjam1999
02-13-2008, 12:22 AM
no? don't want a trip to this side of the Atlantic anytime soon? we've got drizzle, not much sunlight and really miserable shop-keepers to tempt you... along with GREAT cups of tea...

FlyingMonkey
02-13-2008, 12:26 AM
I do like tea...

bugjam1999
02-13-2008, 12:56 AM
the tea would make it worth the flight, i can assure you...

FlyingMonkey
02-13-2008, 01:06 AM
I'll be on the next flight.

stevecooper
02-13-2008, 01:06 AM
I do like tea...
bugjam1999::He does!! With limeiy's in it!HaHaa I've torqued a few wings and fuses back strait with my covering iron, Sometimes you gotta add some new cover'in to drag it back, bubsteve