PDA

View Full Version : engine upside down elec to glo

Rhondas
12-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Will my new OS 15 rc la engine work well, like a right side up engine on Idle and starting if I mount it upside down in a fast spitfire airplane, I have had trouble with 40 sized engines mounted U S Down?;)

lindart aviation
12-17-2005, 09:35 AM
The inverted engine will run the same either way.
The center of the (ugh) fuel tank needs to be 1/4 to 3/8" BELOW the spray bar of the carburetor.
Hydraulic Lock ( too much fuel in cylinder ) will snap or bend the connecting rod.
Be very careful when using an electric starter.

Respectfully,this question belongs in some other forum.
I hope I am not in trouble with the Moderators for my advice....

Rhondas
12-17-2005, 10:34 AM
:p The inverted engine will run the same either way.
The center of the (ugh) fuel tank needs to be 1/4 to 3/8" BELOW the spray bar of the carburetor.
Hydraulic Lock ( too much fuel in cylinder ) will snap or bend the connecting rod.
Be very careful when using an electric starter.

Respectfully,this question belongs in some other forum.
I hope I am not in trouble with the Moderators for my advice....
:p Thanks I have heard of the Hydraulic lock Im getting into more exstensive electric systems, eventually Ill completely convert over to electric . An electric motor static test stand picture.

ragbag
12-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Here is the test stand thread in the power system header:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2902

By George

Rugar
12-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Will my new OS 15 rc la engine work well, like a right side up engine on Idle and starting if I mount it upside down in a fast spitfire airplane, I have had trouble with 40 sized engines mounted U S Down?;)

Wrong Discussion forum unless your talking about a Brush-less starter to start that slimy thing. :eek:

Rhondas
12-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Wrong Discussion forum unless your talking about a Brush-less starter to start that slimy thing. :eek:

If you have been flying a while either you or your grandpa flew slimers to start.

Rugar
12-17-2005, 05:02 PM
If you have been flying a while either you or your grandpa flew slimers to start.

Not the point.
This is WattFlyer, E-powered models only, unless Im on the wrong site :confused:?

meatball
12-17-2005, 05:23 PM
If you want to mount it upside down, dont, I cant recommend it, it will result in choppier performance, it will deliver performance much the same in getting the fuel there, but performance DOES suffer, you cant notice when in flight with a regular mounted engine while flying inverted because the engine is warmed up enough to handle it, and inverted flight is usually brief. The only way to get full performance from a down pointing engine is to get a permenant glow-starter installed, one thats always turned on to keep the glow-plug hot. Otherwise you'll get quite a few dead-stick landings. I wouldnt mount it past 90 degrees without losing reliability.

Rhondas
12-17-2005, 06:25 PM
If you want to mount it upside down, dont, I cant recommend it, it will result in choppier performance, it will deliver performance much the same in getting the fuel there, but performance DOES suffer, you cant notice when in flight with a regular mounted engine while flying inverted because the engine is warmed up enough to handle it, and inverted flight is usually brief. The only way to get full performance from a down pointing engine is to get a permenant glow-starter installed, one thats always turned on to keep the glow-plug hot. Otherwise you'll get quite a few dead-stick landings. I wouldnt mount it past 90 degrees without losing reliability. :) Thanks, you sound like you had the experience with these set ups.and your answer is logical. Thanks

Mike Parsons
12-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Rhondas,
I apologize for the inconvience, but this forum is a strictly Electric forum. There are quite a few IC knowledgeable members here, but I would encourage you to continue this discussion at www.rcuniverse.com if you would be so kind. Thanks for your patronage and consideration :)